“Not a 5 star experience!”

the g Hotel & Spa Galway
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed here for a 2 night weekend break with my husband. We had a voucher for a 2 night stay with 3 course dinner (a birthday treat for me!). After querying the price when I made the booking (voucher was €600 but the break was cheaper on the internet) we were upgraded to a luxury room and given complimentary access to the thermal suite (however my voucher had indicated that this was included). Here's a few things to note.
1. Rooms are really lovely and spacious - no complaints
2. We ate in the bar on one night and had several drinks added to the bill which we did not order - not acceptable
3. Breakfast is up to 10am however the hot buffet was not available until 9.30am. We were told it should be available from 8am on, and then advised that it's later at weekends.
4. Booked a 'Foot and Leg' treatment in the spa. However it was really a glorified pedicure. There was no leg massage in this treatment as indicated in the brochure. It's purely a foot treatment! Also the therapist used hot stones for all of 2 minutes on each foot, and disappeared out of the room for ages.
5. Ate in 'Gigi's restaurant' on the saturday night. We were given the 'table d'hote' menu and at the bottom mentioned that you could avail of the 'a la carte' menu, however this was not offered. I ordered scallops, and 10 minutes later was told they were not available. Foor was mediocre. My sea bass was warm, plates were not heated. Potatoes were very greasy.
We ordered 1 x dessert (cheese plate) and coffees. The cheese plate had a nice selection of cheeses with 4 x crackers. Noticed others with cheese plates with lots of crackers. Again we had to ask for more. When it came to signing for the bill we were charged for the dessert and coffees. Having checked our voucher, it stated 3 course meal with tea / coffee - so we should not have been charged. Poor service again.....
6. The following morning we sat in the restaurant for breakfast and the sofa's were filthy, dusty and covered in hair (quite obviously not cleaned / brushed down after previous night's restaurant service). Again hot buffet was not available. Only 'a la carte' breakfast menu.
7. Had another treatment in the spa....now the spa is fabulous, however after each treatment when you sign, the spa manager purposely points and tells you "thats where you can leave a tip for your therapist"! Really this is poor and should not be mentioned.

All in all we were quite disappointed with the hotel. It's not worth the price.
We did meet with the duty manager who dealt with our complaint very well and we were happy with the way it was managed. However it was a list of simple things that should not happen in a top quality hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dublinfifi72
The g Hotel G, General Manager at the g Hotel & Spa Galway, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear Mr. Durcan,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay on Trip Advisor, and for emailing me personally as well.

I understand that Matti, our Duty Manager met with you to discuss your complaint and that you were indeed happy with the manner in which this was handled. He did inform me fully on your feedback and also mentioned that he had given you my business card. I had hoped that you would have contacted me directly to allow me the opportunity to discuss your recent stay at the g.

I have since emailed you and attached a copy of your voucher which you mention in your review. However, nowhere on the voucher does it mention that the Thermal Suite is included. This was an additional offering along with the upgraded room category to offset the value of your voucher against our lower season rate.

I would still like to have the opportunity to speak with you in person and would be grateful if you would return my email.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Triona Gannon

Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Stayed last August. Immediate impressions were super.check in was very quick and friendly. We received an upgrade to a superior room on arrival. I made a mistake on the type of room I booked, twin instead of double. I rang reception and they came and sorted it straight away. Room was clean, beautiful decor, all the 5 stars touches you'd expect. For example when you return in the evening bed turned down, air con on and tv switched to classical music channel, towels freshen etc. Breakfast also 5 star. Would recommend to anyone, especially for a special occasion. Will definitely be returning.

• Stayed: August 2012
The g Hotel G, Manager at the g Hotel & Spa Galway, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Dear Valerie,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for writing such a fantastic review of your stay on Trip Advisor. I was delighted to read that you were impressed with our front of house team, as well as our vibrant bedrooms, turndown service and breakfast in gigi’s Restaurant. Your kind comments have been noted and I will be sharing them with the entire team here at the g.

Once again thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review, the team and I genuinely appreciate your feedback.

Kind Regards,

The g Hotel Management Team

Reviewed January 26, 2013

After reading some fantastic comments on this site we decided to book a three night post Christmas break in this 'renowned' hotel. Upon arrival the receptionist provided us with a warm welcome. As it was my birthday she kindly upgraded us to a luxury room. At first glance the room was pleasant and we made ourselves comfortable.

After a short while I discovered that both bath robes were dirty, however, guest services dealt with this efficiently. Later that evening as we got into bed, I discovered that the bed linen was soiled and evidently the room had not been serviced. As I was very upset I went to reception were I was informed that the issue would be rectified immediately. We waited twenty minutes and finally a porter came to our room and asked us did we want to stay in the room or move. At this stage we were extremely disappointed and tired and we decided to move rooms.

The second room was lovely and evidently serviced. The following evening I still had not received any acknowledgement or apology for the abysmal standard of hygiene in our previous room. I contacted a duty manager at this stage who half-heartedly offered us two complimentary cocktails as a means of compensation. I work in a four star hotel myself and I have stayed in many four and five star hotels worldwide and I have never experienced such a terrible level of customer service as I did in this hotel.

I only ever find myself writing positive reviews about hotels as I appreciate the position of staff/management in the hospitality industry. The staff do seem to be helpful in this hotel but management leave a lot to be desired. On departure I left my details requesting follow up on the matter; one month later I have yet to receive follow up-leading me to believe that a customer is no more than a number in this hotel. I will not be returning!

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Ker_91
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Should have review earlier, We we travelling in the west and after some great shopping and some disappointment with other hotels we decided to treat ourselves to a night in the G, I am glad we did,
Decor is great really unusual, food and cocktails were also fantastic the only negative is the location if not for that it would be full marks also extra charge for access to spa is a bit much.
Hope to return during the summer.

Room Tip: Dont ask for room with balcony
2  Thank John W
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Wow is the first thing that comes to ming the first time you walk into the G. The interior is the most amazing I've ever seen, while the service is excellent, the staff very accommodating and friendly, and the food just fantastic. Now for our bedroom - both my husband and I agree that the bed was the most comfy we ever slept in. We stayed in a luxury room and it was so beautiful I was slow to leave. I intend to stay in the G again in March with my daughter - can't wait!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is the first time that I have reviewed a hotel but I felt compelled to share my experience so that anyone planning on visiting Galway could benefit from my advice.
I sayed at The G with my wife for two nights in early January. Like many couples with children we were looking for some time alone to wind down after a busy Christmas. We chose the hotel because of its location: a short hop into the city centre but far enough out to be quiet. The truth is that we never wanted to leave and go into the city as we were so confortable in the hotel. Every single member of staff whom we dealt with was genuinely friendly, helpful and charming. The decor and atmosphere was like nothing I have experienced before, relaxed yet vibrant. The spa was as good as anywhere I have visited and the staff within the spa could not have been more helpful or welcoming. I know that this is beginning to sound like an exageration but I really cannot recommend the hotel with anything other than complete enthusiasm! All meals were of the highest standard. We like good food but wouldnt class ourselves as 'foodies' and I have to say that my dinner on the second night was the best plate of food that I have ever experienced. The rooms, even the standard rooms, were exceptionally spacious and the facilities were five star. Im not sure if the rooms are sound proof but we genuinly didnt hear a sound from adjoining rooms, the corridor or from outside. We are already planning our next trip to The G and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for warm, friendly and luxurious surroundings for a relaxing break away.

1  Thank Barry L
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We enjoyed 2 nights at the G for our Anniversary. We were Upgraded to a luxury room which was very spacious, with a seating area and massive comfortable bed. The bathroom had a free standing bath and 2 rainforest showers. The room was beautiful however I found the toiletries supplied very sparse and disappointing compared to other hotels. Ladies bring your own shampoo and conditioner. Chocolates were delivered to us on the first night which was a nice touch. The food at Gigi's was lovely & definitely recommended. The thermal suite was very relaxing and enjoyable. Breakfast is good with a great selection of fruits, cheese and hot buffet.

1  Thank CorHIreland