“Overpriced and Under Friendly”

Rusheen Bay House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #50 of 185 Galway B&B and Inns
Dublin
“Overpriced and Under Friendly”
Reviewed September 5, 2008

Both myself and my husband stayed for one night at this over priced B&b. The landlady is sooooooo rude she did not even greet us and seemed unsure if she even had a booking for us. She placed us in a back twin room which needed to be re-modernised with a small packet of shower gel and a bar of soap which reminded me of something from the 80's.

Her dog barked away in the back garden we passed her outside to go out for the evening without a greet.

Would we return........never

• Liked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bridthetraveller

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
United States
Reviewed August 8, 2007

This place is an average enough B& B but the landlady is a complete nightmare - avoid at all costs

Stayed July 2006
1 Thank Easygoing064
Spokane Valley, Washington
Reviewed July 18, 2007

After doing some research this B&B looked like one of the nicest ones we could find. The address was in Salthill, the beach area of Galway. However, you need to realize that Rusheen Bay is an inlet of the large Galway Bay and is located just north of Salthill. To get to the heart of Salthill you need to drive. I'd recommend a B&B on Upper or Lower Salthill Road or on the Seapoint Promenade near the Tourist Bureau.

Although we did get the Rusheen Bay view room we requested, the services and quality of the B&B were disappointing. The hostess was pleasant, but we seemed 'processed' rather than 'welcomed.'

Our room was decent size and there was plenty of hot water. However, it would have been nice for the B&B to let us know the water in that part of Galway was contaminated and under a 'boil water' order from the city. The B&B did provide bottled water to brush our teeth with and to drink, but knowing this bit of information ahead of time would have been nice, especially since they've known about the situation for a few months.

Probably most disturbing was that fact that upon entering the B&B we felt like a could of cigarette smoke engulfed us. Although the host that welcomed us was smoking in their private quarters it spread throughout the B&B. To make it worse, our room was over their private quarters and the smoke continued to permeate through the floor and into our room. When we went into Salthill that evening, we attempted to find another B&B for our stay, but since it was summer time the other B&B's were booked. We ended up staying for 2 nights at this B&B, but would not return, nor would we recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — Nice web site
  • Disliked — Cigarette smoke
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Deontas
United Kingdom
Reviewed May 22, 2007

I have just returned from a trip around the west coast of Ireland. It is a wonderful place to visit, and we stayed with several quality establishments.

Rusheen Bay House is definitely not one of them.

Although the B&B was clean, this was the only thing really going for it. The location is next to a main road. The shower head in our room was broken. There was next to no hot water. And the breakfast was very average.

On top of this, the owner of the B&B was not at all friendly or accommodating.

I would not recommend this B&B to anyone who wants a nice relaxed stay in Galway. There are _loads_ of other B&B's in the area. Any one of them surely cannot be worse than Rusheen Bay House.

• Stayed May 2007
3 Thank phlipside
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed November 20, 2006

I was going to the Galway Bay Hotel for a wedding and chose this B&B because it was the first one to answer the phone! They were very friendly and explained that there wouldn't be a full irish breakfast as there had been a family tragedy. That was fine, and I was pleased to have someone respond to my inquiries (I had called/emailed 5 B&B's previously without responses and when I arrived I saw some of them with Vacancy signs).

I took a $20 cab ride from the airport past Galway city, past Salthill to the B&B. Apparently it is a very popular location in the summer due to the location overlooking Galway Bay and the promenade nearby. Unfortunately, the weather wasn't in my favour but it was still beautiful. There seemed to be plently of parking.

The people were all friendly. The room was basic and clean. The windows would not close properly, but I suspect it would not be apparent unless the weather was bad. The shower lacked power but that is common, in my experience. For a single I paid 37.50 euro.

The service wasn't great at breakfast, but I suspect that was a result of the family tragedy. If you asked any questions, they were very helpful.

I wished I had stayed someplace else, only because I didn't have a car so it was akward. I walked to Salthill (20 minutes) and it was about a 10 euro cab ride into Galway city - I didn't realise it was so far out. In the summer with a family, I would imagine it would be great, though.

• Liked — View of the Bay
  • Disliked — Too far out for my needs
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled solo
1 Thank SDTurner
Germany
Reviewed September 9, 2006

Small but excellent. The rooms are clean and the breakfast is excellent. Parking lots are directly present before the house. The bedroom is a little bit small, but as an ideal starting point for the investigation of Connemara, it doesn´t matter. We had three beautiful days in the Rusheen Bay House. As restaurant recommendation I like to recommend the Pan Tai in Salthill.

Kind regards, Oliver & Susann (Germany)

Link: [---]

• Liked — Breakfast and clean room
  • Disliked — -
  • Tips/Secrets — -
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Oliver_&_Susann
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 25, 2005

I knew I would have a pleasant stay when the owner was so gracious over the course of several phone calls and emails and gave me all the answers to my many questions having never been abroad before. Her home was elegant and she made me feel as if I belonged there from the start. As promised, I had a view of Galway Bay outside my window, privacy and a quiet lovely room. Great breakfast, hard-working, accommodating and charming host! I had to relocate after two days to be closer to my daughter's apartment and she heartily welcomed me to come back and stay with her again!

9 Thank A TripAdvisor Member