“Lovely setting but dated room interiors” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rusheen Bay House Bed and Breakfast

Rusheen Bay House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #53 of 197 Galway B&B and Inns
“Lovely setting but dated room interiors”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

Overall the B&B is in an excellent position with many outside seating positions for its guests. The main drawback is the dated nature of the bedrooms and in particular, the less than average quality of the beds. The matresses are thin and non supportive. As I consider a good night's rest essential for the B£B experience, I think an upgrade is warranted.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Larry G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
xiamen
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

I stayed in Rusheen BB for 2 nights.
Pro: The BB is located in a sweet little town called Salthill. 30 minutes by bus to Galway. There are two windows in my room, so the air circulation is perfect. I loved it.
The owner Anne was very helpful. She quickly responded to all my requests.

Con: I got so many requests because: 1, The kettle was super dirty. I told Anne and she gave me another one, better but still a little dirty. 2. The spoon was dirty too, she gave me another one, better but still a little dirty. Then I found that the cups/glasses are very smelly. Seems like they didn't completely clean the cups the previous guests used. I didn't wanna ask Anne for another one again. So I went to the supermarket, they gave me some free plastic spoons.

The room is not very clean. There are spots on the bed sheet and there was a thick layer of dust on the windows. The shower is very old.

The above stuffs are minor issues. One thing I couldn't bear is that I was staying on the top floor where the window has no curtain. I got woken up by the sunlight at 4/5 AM for 2 mornings. That sucked.

There is a BB next door called sea breeze. I ran into a lady who stayed there. She said sea breeze is amazing. So I guess you might wanna try that one, but again, you get what you pay for. prices in Sea breeze is like 2 times higher than this one.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the top. No curtain.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Boston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

Rusheen Bay House B&B has a great view of the the Bay. Ann is a wonderful hostess and went out of her way to accommodate us. I found it to be very clean, with comfortable beds and the best shower of all of the B&B's we stayed at during our visit. There is parking in front and very easy access to the city and the roads leading to Connemara. The Salthill Promenade is close and a great place to talk a stroll along the ocean. We stayed in the family room that was quite large with two double beds and a jacuzzi. If you are looking for a large room and a convenient location with a very nice host, you will find it here.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

A really lovely location, excellent sleeping arrangements - both rooms and bedding (not always the case when travelling). Views of the bay are scenic, even when the weather is unkind. Plus, the hostess has been most attentive and welcoming. Thoroughly recommended - we would come to stay again, even given the distance from home (Australia).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

This was the worst stay on our Ireland trip April 2012. Mould in the electric kettle; pubic hair in the bathtub; no Internet access; no TV remote control ... We were let in by a girl who spoke poor English ... tHe owner Ann came into our room at 10pm when we left a message on her mobile phone complaining about the Internet access. She whisked away the mouldy electric kettle so fast and suggested she could provide a clean kettle. She gave us a Hugh discount when we checked out as she knew she was not going to get a good review from us. Aussies, stay here at your peril.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mark D
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

I booked Rusheen Bay House for the Galway races. As Hotels and bed and breakfasts are often extremely busy and often booked out during race week, I rang Rusheen Bay and booked them directly so as to eliminate any chances of double booking or of them not having a record of my booking on my arrival.
At the time of my booking I was speaking to a male staff member. There was only one single room left available and as I was booking for myself and my boyfriend I asked him would it be ok if we both stayed in the single room. He put me on hold briefly before coming back to tell me they would give us the room but at an extra cost. When I questioned this he said that they charged per person and not per room, I asked why did it show prices per room online but my query was quickly dismissed as I was told that the extra cost was just their policy. I agreed to the extra cost as I was desperate and so he took my card details and the full amount of the stay was debited from my account straight away.
After this conversation I rang back to ask if we could check in early, or if not could we just drop bags and car and check in later on the day. I was talking to quite a friendly female staff member this time who said I could but advised me against it as it was Ladies' Day at the races that day and town would therefore be impassable with traffic at that time. She instead suggested that we go straight to the races that day and check in later that evening after the races. This is what we did.
That evening after dinner we left to check into the B and B. I rang ahead just to double check the booking, again. It was 9.30 pm when i made th call to be told that my booking had been cancelled and my room had been given to another couple who had, and I quote, "walked in [off the street] at around 8 o'clock" that evening. The woman I was speaking to told me she had tried to ring me three times since 8 when she gave our room away. I had no missed calls and no voicemails. I told her this was completely unacceptable and asked to speak to the manager or owner, she told me she was the owner. I asked should the fact that I had already booked, paid for and confirmed my booking not make my booking secure from people who just walk in off the street. She said no and that I should have been there earlier to check in as check in finished at 8 that evening. (Conveniently the same time the other couple walked in off the street). I told her that I would have done so only her very own staff advised me not to. I told her I did what her staff suggested and I was not informed that there was a cut off time for checking in. She argued that I was informed and that she knew this because she was standing beside her son who I had made the booking with that day. This was a lie.

She then proceeded to argue with me over the phone for about twenty minutes. It was only after this that she offered to check a few nearby B and B's and hotels for an availability in a half hearted bid to make up for what she had done. She now seemed to think she could move mountains and get us a room even though she had argued with me earlier that "it was race week!", and "what did I expect when I hadn't contacted them until half 9 that evening?!". Basically implying that not only was it impossible to get a place to stay at this time but that she had the luxury of not committing to her bookings on a busy night like that and was therefore capitalising on people's desparation, a point which she denied.

She was inevitably unsuccessful as it was coming up on 10 o'clock on one of the busiest nights of the year in Galway. When I asked her where she tried she told me she checked the usual booking sites, the names of which I won't mention here but the same ones I had checked the week before. Something I could have done myself again.
Our night ended there as we were stranded in Galway with nowhere to stay. She apologised insincerely and The conversation ended.
We were forced to spend the night in our car. Needless to say, Rusheen Bay House Bed and Breakfast ruined our entire trip.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Kbireland
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

Very pleasant stay here for NYE. Very nice greeting upon check-in, room more than adequate for 4 lads just down for the night (family suite). All round, very reasonably priced, and lovely experience, with a great recommendation for where to get breakfast (couldn't for the life of us get up anywhere near on time for the breakfast). Would most definitely (and probably will) stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends