Rusheen Bay House Bed and Breakfast
$259
Free cancellation until 05/31
$200
  • Restaurant
Clayton Hotel Galway(Galway)(Great Value!)
$156
Menlo Park Hotel(Galway)(Great Value!)
$177
Orbitz.com
The Connacht Hotel(Galway)(Great Value!)
$143
Orbitz.com
Flannery's Hotel Galway(Galway)(Great Value!)
$133
Travelocity
Free cancellation until 05/27
$307
$287
All reviewsstayed heregalway cityhot breakfastfront of the houseyogurtpleasant staycomfy bedpubs and restaurantstwo night stayshort walklocation is greatannehostesssalthillcaponetaximoher
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I booked Rusheen Bay House for the Galway races. As Hotels and bed and breakfasts are often extremely busy and often booked out during race week, I rang Rusheen Bay and booked them directly so as to eliminate any chances of double booking or of them not having a record of my booking on my arrival.
At the time of my booking I was speaking to a male staff member. There was only one single room left available and as I was booking for myself and my boyfriend I asked him would it be ok if we both stayed in the single room. He put me on hold briefly before coming back to tell me they would give us the room but at an extra cost. When I questioned this he said that they charged per person and not per room, I asked why did it show prices per room online but my query was quickly dismissed as I was told that the extra cost was just their policy. I agreed to the extra cost as I was desperate and so he took my card details and the full amount of the stay was debited from my account straight away.
After this conversation I rang back to ask if we could check in early, or if not could we just drop bags and car and check in later on the day. I was talking to quite a friendly female staff member this time who said I could but advised me against it as it was Ladies' Day at the races that day and town would therefore be impassable with traffic at that time. She instead suggested that we go straight to the races that day and check in later that evening after the races. This is what we did.
That evening after dinner we left to check into the B and B. I rang ahead just to double check the booking, again. It was 9.30 pm when i made th call to be told that my booking had been cancelled and my room had been given to another couple who had, and I quote, "walked in [off the street] at around 8 o'clock" that evening. The woman I was speaking to told me she had tried to ring me three times since 8 when she gave our room away. I had no missed calls and no voicemails. I told her this was completely unacceptable and asked to speak to the manager or owner, she told me she was the owner. I asked should the fact that I had already booked, paid for and confirmed my booking not make my booking secure from people who just walk in off the street. She said no and that I should have been there earlier to check in as check in finished at 8 that evening. (Conveniently the same time the other couple walked in off the street). I told her that I would have done so only her very own staff advised me not to. I told her I did what her staff suggested and I was not informed that there was a cut off time for checking in. She argued that I was informed and that she knew this because she was standing beside her son who I had made the booking with that day. This was a lie.

She then proceeded to argue with me over the phone for about twenty minutes. It was only after this that she offered to check a few nearby B and B's and hotels for an availability in a half hearted bid to make up for what she had done. She now seemed to think she could move mountains and get us a room even though she had argued with me earlier that "it was race week!", and "what did I expect when I hadn't contacted them until half 9 that evening?!". Basically implying that not only was it impossible to get a place to stay at this time but that she had the luxury of not committing to her bookings on a busy night like that and was therefore capitalising on people's desparation, a point which she denied.

She was inevitably unsuccessful as it was coming up on 10 o'clock on one of the busiest nights of the year in Galway. When I asked her where she tried she told me she checked the usual booking sites, the names of which I won't mention here but the same ones I had checked the week before. Something I could have done myself again.
Our night ended there as we were stranded in Galway with nowhere to stay. She apologised insincerely and The conversation ended.
We were forced to spend the night in our car. Needless to say, Rusheen Bay House Bed and Breakfast ruined our entire trip.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Kbireland
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Very pleasant stay here for NYE. Very nice greeting upon check-in, room more than adequate for 4 lads just down for the night (family suite). All round, very reasonably priced, and lovely experience, with a great recommendation for where to get breakfast (couldn't for the life of us get up anywhere near on time for the breakfast). Would most definitely (and probably will) stay again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 9, 2012

rusheen bay house, salthill is easy to find, walking distance to city centre along the lovely promenade in salthill, (approx 45 min), run by a very welcoming "Ann", has a spacious confortable tripple room, great views from the front of the house, overall I would stay here again without hesitation.

Room Tip: ask for room at the back of the house if you are a light sleeper, views great from the front but traffic busy
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank IrelandTherese
Reviewed May 19, 2012

After booking Rusheen Bay B&B through " Discover travel & tour" I decided to check out the reviews and I was slightly apprehensive about staying there because there seemed to be a lot of bad reviews but we soldiered on and I am sure the bad reviews must be for a different B&B as the owner of the place was Anne and she was just wonderful so accommodating and helpful.
Room was small but that was ok because it was clean and well presented,bed was comfy, bathroom clean and the breakfast was a good start to the day.
I have no hesitation in recommending this B&B.
Well done Anne you looked after us wonderfully. Thanks from the Aussie couple.

Room Tip: Front room has view of bay.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Millie1212
Reviewed May 6, 2012

The room feels slightly smaller because of a large well worn loveseat in the bay window. But the view is wonderful and the owner is so helpful with advice on places to go. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012