“Worse than Substandard Accommodation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

Rusheen Bay House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #62 of 189 Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Hello everyone,
I generally never write reviews for anything but I had to for this one. I have always had very positive experiences of staying in B&Bs in the past but not this time I urge you all not to stay in the B&B. After staying in a lovely hotel in Salthill for the first night, we decided to stay in a B&B to cut down on our expense. Upon arrival here, we received a very strange welcome from the lady (Mary), she was nice but didn't engage in much conversation with us at all. she showed us to our room and rushed off to watch a rugby match. The room was tiny, it was the front room on the ground floor. There was a layer of dust on the pine cupboard units up high. we had no towels in our bathroom, i told this to the lady as we were on our way out for the evening, and by the time we had got back later that evening, there were just 2 lousy towels left on the door handle for us. there was a mat at the end of our bed, and all the carpet under it was a discoloured grey colour (there was a radiator near it so it was probabloy a water leak). The next morning, we were greeted by a guy not much older than me (27) with a dirty stubbly beard and he asked us what we wanted for breakfast, he landed into the breakfast room with our food - the cheapest type of sliced pan brown bread and it tasted rotten, our eggs were nice though but a bit greasy. There was a shelf near the cereals with pots of jam, the first one I opened had mould on it!! A I was paying up, I made a comment to the guy who served us brekkie that I was on my way home to Kerry and he never even made a comment, he just went into another room to give me back change out a €50 - what utter rudeness, I would NEVER NEVER go back to this place.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ciara T

Reviewed July 2, 2011

I don't usually write reviews but I have to for this one. We stayed here for the last two nights of a 7 night trip around Ireland. We had 7 people in our party, and booked online at booking.com. The pictures looked like it was such a beautiful view, and we payed extra for the family room with a bay window and bay view. In the pictures, the rooms looked so nice and roomy.
Boy, were they misleading!! This was the worst of the 4 places we stayed on our trip, by far. The place had a covered-up smoke smell, and the room was TINY with two single beds and one double bed squeezed in. There was a space of about 1.5 feet to squeeze through to get into the bathroom, which was not all that clean (especially considering the rubbery bath mat outside the shower that looked very used and never washed).
We came back from shopping and found that the room had not been cleaned and the towels which we'd placed on the bathroom floor (following directions for requesting new ones) were still there with no new towels. The 2nd morning, we had to leave the room to go seek out a roll of toilet paper! For the price (which was more than other B&Bs in the area), the service was bad, the bay view was really a view of a main road and a small, distant marshy "Rusheen Bay" and the breakfast was anything but "full Irish" (which we also paid extra for). It consisted if cereals, canned fruit, eggs to order (no frills), and the cheapest white bread you could find. There was a shelf full of jams and marmalades; the one my mom opened was moldy.

Obviously, I could go on and on. But the bottom line is that this place was a big disappointment. It seems like it's a place run by a family who wants to do a B&B as cheaply as possible and who is not too worried about the experience of it's visitors.

Choose a different place!

• Stayed: June 2011
3  Thank Mi1978
Reviewed May 27, 2011

We stayed at the Rusheen Bay House for only one night, on our way to the Cliffs of Moher. It's very well located, by the coast, very close to pubs and restaurants. The hotel is a B&B, but we found more resources here than in a regular hotel in London or Dublin! The people is very friendly, the rooms are clean, well set, the breakfast is very good (option for Irish breakfast or continental) and the place is beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Luciene_Campos
Reviewed April 4, 2011

Can recommend without hesitation. Will certainly stay there again when visiting Galway.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2010

Good B&B within walking distance to the beach. Comfortable rooms and a good breakfast. Travelling as 2 couples sharing a family room; the room provided was great for this. Were able to easily walk to the beach.

• Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank Andrew_Kellie
Reviewed July 28, 2009

We stayed at this B & B for one night, having booked it on line. The website we booked it through suggested a family apartment, so we went for it. We had not stayed in an Irish B & B for more than 10 years and this place was every good reason why it will be at least as long again.
A warm welcome was non existent, a very busy lady got our name showed us as far as the door and rushed off about her business. It was an average sized bedroom with 2 single beds and a double bed crushed into a corner (under the television, which was not secured on a sloping holder) which exceeded the size available to it and the headboard jutted out which left approx a 20 inch path to the bathroom.
I would have thought that the 10 year gap since last in a B & B would have eliminated those horribly scented pink bars of soap with "welcome" on them but no, they are still out there. The bathroom would have been modern in 80's but apart from the hamfisted DIY attempts at silicone sealing had not been upgraded since.
There was also no sink plug, so having was an issue. There was plenty of hot water though.
One of the window catches was broken and would not close properly. If you are a light sleeper do not pick the front of this B & B as the trafffic noise goes on late and starts early.
Breakfast was adequate and hot, poached eggs were excellent, but fried eggs over cooked.
Given the value now available from hotels and the relative cost of this and similar
B & B's, there is no contest. There was nothing extra from "welcome" to exit that would encourage us to book here again.

Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank TravellorIreland
Reviewed February 11, 2009

I was well warned by previous reviewers that the landlady might be difficult but I am still gob smacked a month later.
Firstly I didnt actually stay at the hotel so read no further if thats what you want to know.
I found a reasonable rates on june bank holiday for rooms for our party of 16, we needed 5 rooms one of which would be for a party of 5 - so i checked directly with landlady.
No problem - book direct on my website she said. I have a big familly room - Great I said
Problem - her website rates were 15% higher - an extra €500 for the party overall
(ring ring) No problem I'll send you an email
wait; wait; wait; , (ring again) - sorry very busy - wait; wait; wait;
2 1/2 weeks later - hooray email
thanks for your enquiry, here are my best prices.
She only went and raised her prices on all the websites including her own , now looking for an extra €600 for the group.
HUH???? Is this woman completely [--] nuts!!!!!
Found a different hotel.
Verdict - book the first and best rate you find and be warned, she might not honour the price and she might lose your boking if the other reviews are anything to go by - on your own head be it - you have been warned....... (again)

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family