“Good Room, Great Food”
Review of Park House Hotel

Park House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed two days in Galway and were VERY happy we stayed at the Park House Hotel. The evening we arrived we asked the front desk for recommendations for dinner. We were told to go to their bistro. Yeah, another ploy to get us to eat where we were staying. WOW!! We had fisherman's pie. It was so good we forgot about going somewhere else night #2. We went back and had another serving of fisherman's pie. When we got home (MD) we looked it up on the internet and treated ourselves to it one more time. Breakfast was over the top. Quite good and satisfying. The room was good, It had what we were looking for. We definitely would go back there when we visit Galway. CAUTION: Parking is a challenge. The car entrance is not off the street in front of the hotel. It is off a side street in the bottom level of a parking garage. Do not let this deter you; it is easy in and easy out, Call the hotel for detailed directions on how to find the sign: Park House Hotel Parking. It is easy walking distance to the town center and lots of good shops.

Room Tip: Get detailed directions to the car entrance, GPS does not help
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Park House Hotel

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Booked this room for 2 nights based on TA reviews and was sorely disappointed. Maybe 10 years ago this was the height of Trip Advisor prime, but we found it dirty and run down. The rooms smelled of smoke that permeated the whole room.. pillows, sheets, carpet and drapes. Was billed as non smoking room. Clearly not. The beds were so old that my husband and I sank into the middle like a hammock and the pillows were flat and hard. The fixtures in the bathroom (hairdryer built into the wall circa 1980) were old and grungy. It was noisy over the weekend so couldn't keep the windows open and the view was to the dumpsters. Maybe others had a renovated wing or something because I can't believe the reviews.

Room Tip: BEG for a non smoking room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank mimiluk
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel on just off Eyre Square. For me, location was everything, and the Park House was perfect. I added a few days holiday onto a business trip to Dublin. Took the train from Dublin Heuston to Galway. Used the Park House for a jumping off point for the Aran Islands. Arrived in Galway 9:00 pm (sky still sunny at end of May). Park House steps away from the train station. Checked in for a couple nights. Easy walk to the pedestrian shopping / restaurant district. Breakfast delicious and very generous, you won't go hungry! About two blocks away from the Aran Island Ferries office. After two pleasant nights at the Park House and a day trip to Inis Mor (highly recommended), I departed to spend two nights on Inis Meain (highly highly recommended!!!). Then I spent one last comfortable night at the Park House. Here is where the Park House gets five stars... I was departing Galway at 5:30 am to catch the first train back to Dublin . I just mentioned to the evening clerk I'd be checking out at 5:30 am. She asked if I' d want tea or coffee in the morning. I said "coffee" thinking I might get a takeaway coffee. Well, at 5:00 am, the night porter had set up a lovely place setting in the lobby with coffee, toast, jam, fruit, yogurt, etc. Delicious! And with the train station a three minute walk away, I could enjoy a few minutes of breakfast and still make my Dublin train on time!
So the Park House was perfect for me and my situation.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed June 7, 2013

My friend and I stayed here on our first two nights in Ireland, driving from the airport in Dublin, so we were weary. The front desk personnel was delightful and offered us tea while we were waiting for our rooms, which was a nice touch. The first floor lobby had several seating areas to relax and have tea or a drink or just read the paper and was welcoming.
Our rooms faced the courtyard which was great since we were very tired, so they were quite. The rooms were big and tastefully done and the bathrooms were a very good size - everything was very clean.
The breakfast in the morning had to lot to offer as well as a nice selection of made to order.
We had dinner there on the last night and were not disappointed, the lamb and fish dishes were excellent and worth the price.
We then stepped out for some local music and the front desk pointed out a great pub to try -- everyone there was very helpful.
We took a tour on the second day to visit the Connemara and Cong region - it was an all day tour and well worth it.
The location of the hotel was within walking distance to the shops and pubs but far enough away from the noise.
I would recommend this hotel for a stay in Galway.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the courtyard are quite
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is located right in Galway city. I think it's more suitable for those travelling by foot the car park at the hotel is tiny and very tight not my thing. There are porters there to help you park but still I personally just wasn't mad on it. Havin previously stayed in salthill and then moved to this hotel I preferred out in salthill just a bit less busy and better car park. Also this hotel I think is a bit closed up its full of mirrors inside probably to create a feeling of light and space as there is no windows really. The room was fine comfortable and air conditioning good. Lots of furniture though and with the cot also the room was cluttered.the breakfast was fine although I did note every one that was seated got asked straight away tea and toast ? We did not and had to pull up the waiter twice to ask for things Obviously a lot of people have rated the hotel well and I'm guessing it's popular but for me personally id say don't look over a hotel that's out a bit from Galway buses and taxis go into town or you can drive in car parking is well sign posted. I just like the more open space and a bit quiter not city central. So for me I'd rather stay outside of the town a bit but if it's central your looking for why not ?

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 7, 2013

I had been to Ireland a number of times, but never to Galway and included it this trip. It was an excellent surprise. Great restaurants (even late night), excellent music and entertainment (the Trad on the Prom is a must if you are visiting), easy to walk around and even a convenient and responsive tire store when I hit the curb one too many times adjusting to driving on the other side of the road. Part of making it an outstanding visit was the Park House. Excellent room, breakfast, wifi and a coffee shop just a couple of stores down the block. The hotel is centrally located, with a very helpful staff. Parking is a bit of a challenge in Galway and finding the valet parking at the hotel was a bit of a challenge at first (hint, its not on Forster), but once found parking was very convenient and the attendant very helpful. The night staff's recommendation on an all night diner was perfect, and the morning staff's response to an early morning request for coffee cheery and helpful. Will stay there again when back in the West..

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 6, 2013

We checked in after a long day in the car and were immediately greeted by a lovely young woman (I think named Anya) who set the tone for our two-night stay. Everyone we encountered in the hotel and its restaurant were very service-oriented and friendly. The room was large, nicely decorated, very well appointed and the beds were oh, so very comfortable! We had dinner at the restaurant our first evening as we were too tired to go anywhere else. Note, you can order from the pub menu in the restaurant and vice versa, so you're not locked into the higher priced entrees when in the dining room. The food was very nice and the breakfast the next morning even better. Good continental breakfast selection and the breads/pastries are absolutely fabulous. The location was ideal for our exploration of the city, just off Eyre Square and a hop, skip and a jump from all the shops, pubs and restaurants in city central. If you really enjoy walking, it's not too bad a trip out to Salt Hill and around to the Cathedral. I highly recommend the Park House Hotel if you're ever staying in Galway.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family