“Great hotel .... 1 or 2 smalll exceptions unfortunately.”
Review of Park House Hotel

Park House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Falcarragh, Ireland
“Great hotel .... 1 or 2 smalll exceptions unfortunately.”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Visted Galway weekend of 8th March 2013 (arrived Friday, departed sunday).

Carparking area small but hotel staff there to assist us.

Entering the hotel, it is very cosy, homely, warm, tastefully decorated. Hotel lobby areas and dining areas were busy. Staff were very friendly and one pointed us in the direction of the reception.

Reception staff very friendly, cheerful, helpful and checked us in quickly.

Our room on the third floor, (a nice quiet part of the hotel) unfortunatley this was the let down. The room was quite dark with one window which looked out on grey buildings, etc (the backs of city buildings). The window was very dirty. There was a double bed and a single bed into the corner. The bathroom was small too. We asked for change of room as we thought the money we had paid deserved a better standard of room but we were informed we were not entitled to an upgrade unless we paid more. I thought we had paid enough so didn't upgrade. The shower dripped constantly and every 15 - 20mins the shower would run water (it almost seemed like it was an overflow pipe!!). The grouting on the bathroom wall was not clean. The underside of the sink etc was dusty and discoloured. The water was extremely hot (too hot to have a shower and the controls on the shower did not work properly). The bath worked fine.

Dinner in the hotel was ammmmmmmmmmmmmmmazing, service, food, dining experience... the whole dining package was delightful, full marks (i would advise to book as it was very busy both evenings).

Breakfast was gorgeous, lots of yummy breakfast pastry treats, etc. again, service was perfect, food was delicous.

Departure, all went smoothly.

So all in all, the hotel are certainly putting all their emphasis into the appearance of the ground floor, food and staff.. 100% on these. But the room failed miserable, which is very disappointing - especially for the price they are charging.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sharon W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Korean first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 12, 2013

I stayed here with 4 family members for a family get-together and we had 3 rooms between the 4 of us.

From the outset I felt that this was not a generous hotel. My room, for which I was charged the full rate of a double (I was told there was no single suplement available in a hotel of this size - which is unique in my experience), would have been very cramped for two and the bed was a small double. I was provided with toiletries only for one person, as were my two sisters, who were sharing and were told when they asked for a second supply that the hotel expects to be asked when a second lot of supplies is required - apparently even in a double room occupied by two people! I wasn't keen on the decor but each to his own and it is fair to say that the room was clean and the bed comfortable and there was little or no disturbing noise that I was aware of.

My party felt that the dinner was very good - I would admit I am fussy but would certainly say the breakfast was good. The service in the restaurant was very pleasant and the low rating I have given service only reflects the experience at check-out.

I am moved to write this review because of what happened when we went to pay our bill. There were numerous items on one of our bills which we had not ordered, signed for or received. In spite of the fact that it was clear that they were not our items, it took considerable effort on our part to convince the young girls (one of whom said she was the manager) we were dealing with, to remove the items and we received no apology or any sense that we had been wronged. Moreover there was a peculiar issue concerning one bottle of wine which had been ordered by one of our party and signed for by her with her room number - the cost of the wine was divided up and part of it put on each of our bills - even though we were in different rooms and staying under different names. The girls were extremely discourteous and unpleasant while we were trying to sort this out and I came away shaking and upset. I appreciate that it is difficult to run a business in the hospitality industry at present and I am reluctant to publicly criticise anyone but it was such an unsettling experience and cast such a negative pall over what should have been a happy weekend that I feel I should alert others in the case of this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Mary A
Faringdon, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

Superb Hotel, fantastic staff, lovely room. Just stayed one night, highly reccommend. The hotel location is bang in the city centre and close to everything you need. Next time I am in Galway, Ill be returning here.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Marsden332
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed March 9, 2013

stayed in the park before and really loved it.... again the same, lovely friendly... near everything, our room beautiful and clean and comfortable... plenty to eat at breakfast, and service excellent..
will always go to the park when in galway....

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I recently stayed in the Park House in Galway and I had a very enjoyable time, the food was excellent and the staff all very friendly and helpful. Galway is always a nice place to visit, and even if you're only on a day visit do drop in to the Park House to sample their wonderful cousine.

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 8, 2013

the staff in Park House Galway were excellent. From arrival the porter took our cases and delivered them to our room; meantime we checked in and were given Coffee and cake. The staff at reception were really pleasant and welcoming. As my wife has MS we had asked for a disabled room, and this was excellent; really well laid out and met our needs. As for the bar and restaurant (we eat 1 night in bar and 2 in the restaurant) the staff were very helpful, providing us with seats which were easily accessed. Breakfast was brilliant - my wife needed a mug as she can't grip a cup, and staff remembered this each morning. Staff were very thoughtful, making sure we got a booth (which they reserved for us!) to make it easier for my wife to access. The room also had a blue night light which was really helpful when my wife needed to visit the bathroom during the night. I would recommend this hotel to anyone,disabled or able bodied, and we will be returning. The location is fabulous, right beside Eyre Square.

Room Tip: If required request a Disabled room which has roll in shower and it will be all on the flat. Any req...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This hotel deserves its number 1 rating in Galway as it is an excellent place to stay. Apart from its central location and well appointed rooms the staff are genuinely nice and helpful. Their restaurant is also fantastic. We met up with family members on our recent stay for a lovely meal which was also excellent value. Try the scallops which are amazing! We would highly recommend this hotel to other visitors looking for a hotel that still values customers above profits. We cant wait to get back.

Room Tip: The junior suites are great.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family