“Worst hotel experience I have ever had”

Skeffington Arms Hotel
Ranked #27 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Ireland
“Worst hotel experience I have ever had”
Reviewed August 4, 2010

We arrived at the hotel and were pleasantly surprised as the room was clean, bright and spacious. The trouble began when we arrived back at the hotel later that night to go to bed. As soon as we walked into the hotel we could hear loud music coming from the disco bar which is situated right next to the reception, however as the all the bedrooms are on the two floors above the reception we assumed that the noise wouldn't be a problem once we were in our room.........how wrong we were! I have stayed in many hotels before and I have never ever found reason to complain about noise, as a certain level of noise, particularly when the hotel has a bar or niteclub is expected, however the level of noise in our room was horrendous. It was so loud the whole room was thumping and I am not exaggerating when I say that the door into our room was in fact vibrating because of it. It was impossible to sleep and we were told it was not possible to move us to a quieter room. The music continued until 2am, followed by an hour of screaming and shouting from the crowd in the bar, which was then followed by an hour of chairs and tables being dragged all over the bar as they cleaned up. We eventually got to sleep somewhere between 4am and 5am. At some point during the night we also had a member of staff open our bedroom door and walk in until he saw us and quickly turned around ran back out. When we were checking out I complained and explained that entire situation and of course I got the usual response "the manager is not here at the moment but I can get him to give you a call if you like", which means we are still going to charge you and we don't really care that you only got three hours sleep in our hotel last night. I was so tired and frustrated at that point that I just paid the bill and left.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
2 Thank TaylorPeat

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 16, 2010

We only stayed for one night, but I don't think I would want to stay for any longer than that. It wasn't terrible, it just wasn't very good.
We had to park in a parkade as the hotel had none of there own parking. I thought I'd found the closest parkade, but it turned out it wasn't one the hotel had a deal with. The reception desk clerk didn't even know which parkade I was talking about even though it was attached to the mall which was 1/2 block away. The parkade the hotel did have a deal with was about 2 blocks away. Not a huge deal, but we did have to drag our luggage all that way since the hotel is on a pedestrian street.
The room was nice enough, not a great view, but modernised. The first problem was that there was no remote for the television. We asked at the desk on our way back in after dinner, and were told she would bring one up. After waiting for over an hour we called and were told that she still hadn't gotten anyone to cover the desk and was clearly not impressed to be asked again. When we finally did get the remote the TV was extremely tempermental and wasn't worth the trouble.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Ballinakill
Reviewed February 1, 2010

I stayed in this hotel before and couldn't be happier, I hoped to stay again over new years but plans didn't work out and im actually going there again tomorrow

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
salesmanagerGalway, Front Office Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2010
Many thanks for your kind review.
Please remember to keep an eye on our website for great offers and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Skeffington Arms Hotel.

Kind Regards,
Lisa Moore
Bedfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2010

This neat hotel on Eyre Square is in a great location to explore Galway City. The staff were very friendly - especially the waiter at Breakfast; the hotel should also be complimented on its nice breakfasts!!
We ate in the restaurant area of this hotel one evening and found the food to be of good standard as well.

During your stay you should take a HealyBus tour to the Cliff of Mohor or Connemara, local driver/ guides, very friendly and accommodating to picture hungy me!! The tours go from the new coach station ten minute walk from hotel.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
salesmanagerGalway, marketing manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this review, January 19, 2010
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay in the Skeffington Arms & in Galway.

I will pass your kind comments on.

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to The Skeffngton Arms in the near future.
Boston, MA
Reviewed October 12, 2009

We stayed two nights mid-week and based upon reading other reviews of this hotel, requested a 2nd floor room, since it is a downtown location. It was very quiet, even being on Eyre Square across from JFK park. The room was very clean and modern, complete with ironing board/hair dryer, etc. Location was excellent, and the Skeff Bar is on the ground floor and was amazing to look at and enjoy some traditional Irish music and Guiness. Short walk around the corner to the Quayside for more entertainment. The breakfast was fast and delicious, and the staff were all extremely professional. Great value.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
salesmanagerGalway, Sales & Marketing Manager at Skeffington Arms Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2009
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review. We greatly appreciate it.

We look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to The Skeffington Arms Hotel in the near future

Kindest Regards

Kerry Gillespie
Sales & Marketing Manager
natasha1980
Reviewed July 22, 2009

You can't beat the location of this hotel right on Eyre Square. I really loved the modern feel and the bar is incredible- with beautiful wooden panelling and a friendly staff. We got a great deal on our rooms for 80 euros/night and it was well worth it. Considering how bad Irish breakfasts are, this is the best one we had and the even made fruit pancakes which were great. The bathrooms are modern and clean and our room had a wonderful view of Eyre square. There was also a nice plasma tv. I would gladly stay in this hotel again. Some of the hotel staff was extremely helpful, but others were much more indifferent. However, we enjoyed our stay on the whole.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 12, 2009

I had the pleasure of staying two nights in the Skeffington Arms Hotel. I got a very reasonable rate especially for this time of the year. I had some lovely barfood in the Skeff bar and there was traditional irish music being played in here as well. Which would go down very well with the tourists.

The receptionist informed me that the rooms were redone last year. They are very modern and comfortable. I had two great nights sleep. It is walking distance from the train and bus station. They do not have a car park. But there is ample multi car parks in the area which give residents discounts from the hotel.

There was a very friendly waiter on breakfast on both mornings. The breakfast was very nice with a good selection of fresh fruit, pastries etc.

All in all i would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business