“Absolute Rip-Off”

Kilbree House Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #44 of 188 Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 26, 2008

Conveniently located for a nearby event myself and 2 friends were attending, Kilbree House served its purpose of giving us somewhere clean to rest our heads. But at 70Euros per head (yes, that's right, 210Euros for a triple room for the night!), we were absolutely gobsmacked, and a little disappointed we hadn't checked into the full service 5-star hotel suite down the road!

3 of us shared a room, and surprisingly, had to make do with a double and a single bed (rather than 3 beds as expected). The place was ghastly outdated (floral tiles and a maroon toilet bowl!), and did not at all give the friendly warm welcome feeling that your average B&B would provide. The breakfast was VERY basic: cereal and an apparently microwaved hot breakfast (or toasted cheese sandwhich if you chose). A far cry from the buffets of fresh fruit, juice and cheese boards you would be offered elsewhere.

We questioned the rate, as normally a discount would be offered for a triple room (particularly given we didn't even have our own beds each). The owner seemed unphased and thought it perfectly normal to charge 210 euro for a room. We, I guess, have ourselves to blame for not clarifying the cost upon booking, as we had booked several rooms (the others were double rooms, and quoted as 140 per room).

Take my word - there are far better places to stay!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for Kilbree House Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed August 15, 2007

On checking my credit card 2 weeks after staying here I discovered that 100 euro had been deducted from my account. When I checked this out with the owners they informed me that they deducted it because the room "was wrecked". I informed him that coke had accidently been spilled on the bed and even took the wet sheet off the bed and this did not merit 100 euro been deducted from my account especially without my authorisation. Under no circumstances book with a credit card if this is the way our security is been abused. Also the manner of the owners was very abrubt. When I asked in the morning in the kitchen for a glass of orange juice as I wouldn't be having breakfast I was met with a grunt and was told they hadn't time to get it for me. On leaving the premises the owner then followed us out, for what reason I don't know. If the room 'was wrecked' why did it take him 8 days to take the money from my account. When I rang up about this he refused to put the money back in my account and wouldn't disregard my cards details, which I have had to cancel.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank dt12
Reviewed March 1, 2007

This is a great find in Galway city. Beautiful room, very comfortable and I found it exceptionally clean. The owners were polite and professional but not overly chatty which I don't mind. The place is a little far outside of the city centre, but very quiet which makes for a nice relaxing place to stay. If you don't drive, a taxi will cost about €8 to get there but I found that the price of the room made up for this. The food is also really good and it's nice to have a choice instead of the standard full Irish breakfast. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled solo
1  Thank canadia123
Reviewed November 24, 2006

I sort of agree with Richmondessexclan. We did not feel the same warmth as in other locations when we arrived. In fact, we were downright cold because we arrived on a cold and rainy day in late August and there was no heat. I asked Michael, and he just informed me that it was too early in the season for heat! We were afraid we would spend 3 nights with an 8 PM bedtime, just to stay warm. However, the next day, everything warmed up. The heat came on and the hosts warmed up.

I got the impression that Michael was sort of shy, but he was very helpful in suggesting places to go and giving directions. When I needed a doctor, they steered me to their own doctor and told us how best to be seen. The B&B is out of the way, but we used both our rental car and a taxi at times, and it was not far to get where we were going. (I was still shell-shocked about driving in Ireland at this time.)

Our room was a little small and I agree that it could use an update, but after the first night, we didn't have any regrets.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2006

The hosts of this property are very prompt in replies to email requests for info on availability. The rooms are large and comfortable and food is good. It was a bit off the beaten path which lent itself to a quiet restful night. Did not feel the warmth from the hosts that we felt in other B&B's along the way. We thought the property needed a bit of a facelift in it's decor.

~Visitors from U.S.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed December 30, 2005

Kilbree House is a fantastic B&B. The rooms are spacious, clean and very, very comfortable. Annette and Mike made us feel incredibly welcome, and they do a lovely Irish breakfast.

The house itself is in a very quiet location, about 5-10 minute drive from the city centre (taxi costs about €5). The view of Galway Bay from the house is breathtaking.

All in all, I couldn't recommend Kilbree House highly enough. Will definitely be coming back.

• Stayed: November 2005
3  Thank QuickJim78
Reviewed August 3, 2004

This B&B is in a quiet residential area, 5 min. drive into Galway city center. Very Clean and a spacious bathroom that provided wash cloths! (first we have seen on our trip in Enland and Ireland). Excellent large breakfast, we will stay here again when in the area.

6  Thank Jdehaan