“At last, somewhere that understands what REAL food is.”
Review of 37 West

37 West
Ranked #126 of 487 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Cafe Deli Wine
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I'm not a food snob but am rather particular about eating well, good quality that is, not necessarily fancy food. We had lunch and dessert here and it was wonderful. Also got some scones to take home and they were amazing.
The only problems were minor and it's not open long so no doubt they'll be rectified. It was freezing as the door was left open by almost everyone who came in, I got up three times to close it but it was ruining my meal so eventually I just put my coat on! If there was a spring on the door or even a kindly reminder perhaps that issue might not be one. It's more a poor reflection on people in general than this establishment though!
The tartlet my colleague had was rather hard leaving me to wonder was it overcooked perhaps but when mentioned the girl accepted it graciously. It wa obvious too as very little of it had been eaten. I personally think in such instances the dessert shouldn't be charged for though. I liked how the water was brought straight away and the coffees was damn good too. Our waitress was obviously very well trained and knew exactly what she was at, very knowledgeable about the dishes too when queried on one of them. I can see this establishment doing well if other locals are as happy as we were leaving, as their t-shirts say, 'Healthy is the new sexy,' and in truth that's, to my mind, where the future of good food lies. Keep up the good work!

Hey galway Laydee
Thanks for writing!!
I put on the door & bought a hinge to allow it to close slowly ( now Iam waiting on a builder for 2 weeks!!)
Sorry about the tart & I agree if you didn't eat it perhaps you should have been offered a different one or not charged. I actually stopped using that company after that week as the standard wasn't great. I'm speaking to a wonderful baker at the moment & have developed a shocking sweet tooth as a result .. But I won't stop until I find perfection for you all!
Staff know a lot about the food because they too are well fed! And sample everything!
Healthy is the new sexy is proving good people enjoying the options!
Thanks a mill for taking the time to write

There are newer reviews for 37 West

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Had an absolutely gorgeous and enjoyable lunch, it was so good we actually returned with friends the next day and it was equally as good. I find it very hard to get a nice lunch in Galway, so I was thrilled with the menu, it's really healthy, great selection to suit everyone and good value. The soup is delicious, it tasted really healthy. I also had the chicken melt, which was divine. The following day I had the chowder which was very very good. We split a carrot cake and again it was delicious. The coffees came with a complimentary chocolate which is always a nice treat. The decor is lovely and homely. There was a lovely atmosphere there. Staff were very friendly and I look forward to returning soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Replacing the much loved Spudhouse, 37 West has just opened under new management. Decor is bright and fresh (still smells of paint though) and the seating is very comfy.

Visited for a late lunch yesterday. The menu looks great with lots of healthy but very tasty options to choose from at reasonable prices. The menu also caters for most dietary requirements. Between my colleagues and I we had the potato and leek soup, the cheese toasty and the fish cakes. The soup was dinner in a bowl, fresh, full of flavor and homemade. The bread that accompanied it was delicious, full of nuts and seeds and lots of it too - I felt healthier after eating it. The fish cakes looked delicious and my friend was very satisfied with them.

We finished off with coffees and a slice of carrot cake between us. It should be noted that there is a very well adorned cake display inside the front door bursting with a yumee assortment of nice treats. Nothing to fault here.

My only (slight) criticism was with the service. We weren't asked if we would like deserts or coffees and in the end we had to go and ask to be served. There were some issues with the till and there was a service man there but in my opinion the customers should always come first. Service is quite slow (and unfortunately without a smile on the day we were there - I know it was late but each paying customer is a customer regardless of whether it's 9 in the morning or 5 in the evening) so if you only have an hour for lunch or want a quick coffee you may be caught for time.

Will definitely be returning though ... customer service can be improved upon but the great food and venue are well worth a return visit. Looking forward to those fish cakes.

Hi
Thanks firstly for taking the time to write! I loved reading your comments such great detail!! Of course the latter end wasn't good on our part!
I totally agree it doesn't matter what time of day you were in service should alway exceed expectations! I should hope this will not happen again! As for the till man Simon!! I turned him away so many times that day! We were only open a few days & had some issues! But next time he will come after ours!!
Thanks again your a good & fair reviewer!
#customerservice will be improved

Reviewed March 24, 2013

Disappointed to see Spudhouse had closed - went to try the new venue. We were waiting a while to be seated as the seating is limited with some open space in the restaurant that could be used for additional tables. The new seating arrangement means you could be facing the walkway rather than sitting opposite a friend, which isn't ideal (depending on whether you are seated on the sofa seat or not). When I went to request a table I was asked if I wanted to pay - but I hadn't ordered yet! The person who served us was very friendly however. Food was very tasty, in terms of value for money it's not quite as good as the spudhouse, but good and a few different options. We had the pasta special, chicken melt, and goats cheese wrap. I will be back - but will probably stick to quick rather than leisurely lunches as with the lack of seating I can see queues forming to take our seats.

Hi
Thanks very much for taking the time to write to us! We really appreciate the feedback it helps us fix the problems!
We have since added a few more tables & chairs. I see your point about the comfie couch seats! Even with top dog designers behind me I have made errors!! Sorry!!
Lunch times mainly 12.30-2.30 have proven to be our busiest times as is expected! We have extra staff on too but queues are forming at times but such is the nature of the food world in a small place.
Thanks again for sending us your feedback your a star

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We visited this restaurant over the weekend and were pleasantly surprised. It's after opening up under new management and exceeded our expectations.

We were greeted with a nice welcome. The decor is quite funky, nice and bright. Nice menu with plenty to choose from and to suit everyone taste. our waitress was very helpful.

The Food was very tasty, great presentation. It did not take long for us to finish our meal. There's plenty of choice to wash it down with also. Not to forget the selection of the desserts that are visible on your way in. We passed on those this time! But certainly not the next time we visit.

Overall a great new place, certainly to get better as it's just after opening up. It's a spot that's definitely going to be revisited sometime soon.

Biawest, Owner at 37 West, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

Thank for visiting 37 West!
Thanks for taking the time to give us your feedback!
We are delighted you enjoyed it.
Thanks a bunch