“BEST in galway....no..best in ireland!!!”

Ranked #178 of 487 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Fast Food
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed August 7, 2013

first off, I could'nt believe this place when I first tried it, for so long I have searched for a traditional fish & chip shop that actually lived up to its name and finally I have found it! the food was unbelievable! Huge golden chunky chips just as advertised and giant portions of crispy battered fresh cod and a rare sight.....homemade tartare sauce! I thought I was being awkward asking a ream of questions about the menu but the friendly young girl serving me politely answered everyone offering suggestions to what I should try and recommending scampi as her favourite since she started working when the shop first opened!! This for me added a very personal touch and i couldn't believe how helpful she was! when we finally decided on the cod and scampi she informed me exactly how long it would take (which she had to the second) and asked me to take a seat and she would deliver the food down to us. The food arrived swiftly beautifully presented in wooden baskets with a warm smile along with lemon wedges and tartare sauce. Towards the end of our meal we were greeted once more and asked how everything was and was there anything further she could do for us.
I was genuinely take back by the supreme quality of the food and the excellent service.
I now visit at least twice a month for my scampi and chips and love to see I am remembered everytime!!

2  Thank sarahlouislouise
WWTGalway, Manager at Salthill Fish and Chips, responded to this reviewResponded August 8, 2013

Dear sarahlouislouise,

On behalf of myself and my staff I wanted to thank you for the glowing review we received from you recently for our take-away restaurant in Salthill. Its always satisfying to see we've both met and exceeded a customers expectations in both product and service, something we believe all hospitality operations should we striving for.

We look forwards to your visits in the future and hope to continue to surpass your expectations.

There are newer reviews for Salthill Fish and Chips

Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

This Fish & Chip shop opened a few years ago in Salthill. My family have enjoyed its traditional fare several times. We especially love their scampi and fresh cod, which comes in a really light crispy batter, which is freshly battered to order. Its refreshing to see the raw fish being hand battered in front of you. They occasionally offer different fish like hake, haddock & my favourite, ray. The service is always very pleasent. They have opened a second outlet on Forster Street, which is equally as good.

Dear LuvToTravelAndEat,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review of our take-away restaurant. I was especially heartened to note your appreciation of the fresh fish battered and cooked before you as this was one of our main aims when we developed our stores - fresh as fresh can be!

We are continuing to develop our menu offerings and may even consider a grilled/fried option in the future as more and more people look for gluten-free options. We hope we can wow you with these as well!

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Had scampi & chips,was expecting the usual pre formed stuff, what arrived was huge prawns coated in what was nearer to tempura batter, melt in the mouth absolutely wonderful! Great service even my dog was offered a drink!!! Best scampi & chips ever!

WWTGalway, Manager at Salthill Fish and Chips, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

Dear Elav,

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your lovely review of our store. We pride ourselves on trying to provide the freshest and tastiest food possible so to hear such glowing praise makes me believe we have gone above and beyond expectations - exactly what any hospitality provider should be aiming for!

As for your four legged friend he/she is welcome to water any time and if you are visiting us early we often have fresh fish scraps (great for a dogs coat) which we happily give to dog and cat owners free of charge.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Good Fish & Chips, a little pricey but as close to a real fish and chipshop as i have found locally so I do go back perhaps once a month

Reviewed July 27, 2013

A great meal in a great place.
Best Fish and Chips we had while in Ireland, without question.
The food speaks for itself. If you are looking for a great meal, in a down to earth atmosphere, Salthill Fish and Chips is the place for you.
Two Thumbs up!!