“The Perfect Personal Pie”
Review of The Pie Maker

The Pie Maker
Ranked #17 of 474 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night
Description: Selection of hearty, handmade Sweet & Savoury Pies, served in our cosy boutique celtic restauarant. All pies made with high quality Irish meats, organic vegetables and organic spelt flour. Vegetarian options available. Children welcome.
“The Perfect Personal Pie”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Small door, small store, small seats and small eats. Big flavor in the Banoffee pie. My wife and I went each day we stayed in Galway. The first night was perfect. Sonya was amazing she was so sweet and the pie and tea kept us warm on a damp and wet evening. The second night was just as good. Sonya was not there but the next cook (unfortunately, I do not remember her name) was just as pleasant and more informative about Ireland's history, especially the Ararn Islands. The service and good conversation will bring us back when we return.

• Visited March 2014

Galway, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Very Disappointing”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I went here with a friend a couple of weeks ago.
This building is so attractive from the outside and indeed inside too.I love the decor and the service was friendly and welcoming.
I ordered two veggies pies one of which they happened to be all out of and the the other was a spinach and cheese combination.My friend and I were eager to try the pies out as we are both veggie so we split the one in half.We both literally took a bite off and she spat hers into the bag it came in and I walked over to the nearest bin beside Neachtains and dumped mine in there.What can I say,with something as tasty as pie can normally be.I find it difficult to forgive someone claiming to be a a pie specialist when the essence of the product they serve is of poor quality.Now maybe the meat filled ones are better and we happen to get them on a bad day, I do not know! I don't like complaining but it was both the pie texture and the filling that was not up to standard or the price it cost to try them.It was not in anyway crispy or flaky or tasty.Very disappointing!!!I probably will go back once more to see if it was a once off but I am not in a hurry to!

• Visited February 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
“Tasty pie to go”
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Cute tiny space in city. Chatty friendly owner from CA, but obviously has lived abroad for awhile. We wanted to try the banoffee pie but they were sold out late afternoon. They were making more but we couldn't wait. Ordered 2 apple pies to go. Even cold in a hotel room, they were tasty. Tried next night for dessert but all they had were savory pies. Go early for best selection.

• Visited March 2014
Galway, Ireland
“soggy pastry”
Reviewed March 23, 2014

I really wanted to love this place, the decor is great and the staff are very friendly and helpful. The pies however were a bit of a let down, we had the spinach pie, the filling was texturally unpleasant and very bland, but the most disappointing part was the soggy pastry. It was as good as raw the entire way around, i could understand it being a bit less cooked on the bottom but even the lid was raw. Poor form for a place that sells only pies.

• Visited February 2014
Limerick, Ireland
“Poor”
Reviewed March 23, 2014 via mobile

Cute interior and menu that promised great things. I ordered the vegetarian curry pie, I was told they had none and it would take 20 minutes to make- I declined as we were in a bit of a hurry . I was offered the other vegetarian pie - spinach and feta. I told her I don't eat feta- as my boyfriend had ordered a pie I felt obliged to eat something so I requested a salad as it was listed as an accompaniment to the pies. She then said she could put feta on it after I said I don't eat it.

My boyfriend ordered the beef pie- with mash, peas and gravy. It took quite some time to arrive, he said it was tasty but it was a small portion for 10e. My salad was no more than a handful of leaves, beetroot and seeds with a few cherry tomatoes - it was drenched in balsamic vinegar to the point where there was a pool of dressing in the bottom on the plate.

I asked for some water and my boyfriend ordered a lemonade- no glass was given with the lemonade.

When we went to pay the staff member tried to charge us 8e for the salad- I actually laughed at her. She said she didn't know what to charge as she had never charged for just a salad - considering my boyfriends meal was 10e it was comical that she wanted to charge me 8e for what was essentially a side salad.

She then said it would be 5e - whatever we paid she then messed up the change she gave to us and overpaid us which we pointed out to her- she then became more confused.

Style over substance for sure. Don't bother visiting here.