“Definitely go back!! Home away from home.”
Review of Abbey View

Abbey View
Ranked #12 of 189 Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 20, 2013

I stayed here with my teenage daughter who was delighted with wifi. Bernie the owner was so welcoming lovely person we were asked if we wanted tea or coffee on arrival. Taken to our room which was lovely fresh flowers in vase nice little touch room was cosy electric blankets on beds. Host has great Knowledge of area and suggested a few good restaurants for dinner. When we returned in evening the fire was lit and we watched telly in big living room and were accomadated with drinks again and had a good chat with bernie. Breakfast was excellent. All in all we throughly enjoyed our stay and will definitely stay again. Home away from home.

• Stayed: October 2013

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

Our visit to Galway started off rocky as our car broke down right outside the city. We weren't able to get in touch with the rental company, but after calling Bernie, she was able to get through. After an hour and a half we finally made it to Abbey View. We were welcomed by her son who gave us the option of one of two rooms. It was fairly late so he suggested we ate dinner at the Oak Cellar bar across to road at the hotel.

The next morning we had a delicious Irish breakfast. Bernie was very welcoming and we really felt like we were at home. Her sister in law even drove us into town to pick up our new rental. She gave us a little history if the city. It was such a relief to have that help being out of towners. We stayed in the city for a couple hours and came back to the B&B for a nap. Our nap ran long, but Bernie had thankfully made us reservations across the street. She also hung out my shorts which I had washed to dry.

Overall, an incredibly homely place to stay. We really enjoyed it. We did have to share a bathroom but we didn't mind. It was like staying with family. I will definitely recommend Abbey View to any friends or family that come this way.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 7, 2013

Great location in Galway- easy/close drive to the city. Bar and restaurant within walking distance. Bernie was an excellent host! She makes a great breakfast and was more than willing to share areas to tour and directions on how to get there. Bernie treated us like her own family- very warm welcome. Rooms are clean and cozy! My husband and I traveled Europe for 2 weeks and this was our favorite bed and breakfast. I highly recommend this B&B to anyone. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Bernie was an excellent host for our trip to Galway. We were arriving late but Bernie advised us that it would be no issue and even informed us of the hours of a great bar across from her in case we were hungry upon our arrival. Location was great -- not downtown but instead off a busy street (which made it easy-ish to find) tucked enough away from the road for it to remain quiet. The location made it a great option for those who are weary of driving in larger cities like Galway with a different road/car configuration (i'm American) and for those who plan to leave Galway on the motorway after their night at the B&B (because it's so easy to get on the motorway).

The room was clean and comfortable, decorated in a way that made us feel "home" and welcomed.

Breakfast was great, Bernie asked what we would like and offered pancakes instead of a traditional Irish breakfast which was a great relief to hear we had an option after days and days of Irish Breakfasts. Nothing against Irish Breakfasts, I just like some variety. She also brought the entire coffee press full of coffee for us to enjoy, which was great because we like our morning coffee.

One critique i have about the property is the lack of shower pressure and hot water needed for two adults to shower. One adult would probably be fine.

Wifi worked well.

One thing that separated this B&B from others on our stay in Ireland (we were in Ireland for 6 days) was the genuineness of Bernie in her desire to make our stay as comfortable as possible. You could tell, above all the other B&B's we stayed at on our trip that she was so happy to have us stay with her. Because of that I will be recommending this B&b to anyone who is traveling her way. Thanks Bernie - you are truly a person who deserves success with a B&B.

Room Tip: I think there is only one level -- didn't get a chance to see any other room.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We arrived slightly late, but there was no problem. The owner, Bernie, called the hotel across the street to make sure that they would serve us.

Bernie made our eggs per order, the first time she ever did an egg omelet. They turned out great. Rooms were clean. B&B was well situated. We had a pleasant stay

Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Bedrooms are very pretty, warm and cosy. The welcome you receive is certainly warm and Bernie is more than welcoming. Nothing is too much bother for her.
The breakfast served will fill you for the morning and you will have plenty of energy to enjoy visiting the local area and Connemara etc. Bernie will provide maps and directions when necessary and is only too happy to do so.
I would strongly recommend staying in Abbey View, you will not be disappointed.
Geraldine Kenny.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I stayed here from the 29th of August through to the 15th of September, as I was seeking a place to come live at in Galway. From the very first evening at the Abbey View B&B, I felt very much at home. The hosts, Bernie and Robert, were very friendly, and did everything to ensure I was comfortable and happy, including giving me a lift to town when I needed it.

There's a great restaurant in the Glenlo Abbey Hotel right across the road where I dined a handful of times (I recommend the salmon pasta!) as it was convenient and great food, and also had dinner made by Bernie a few times too (lovely cooking, really going to miss it).

In short, I felt right at home here. The food was excellent, the hosts were fantastic, the beds soft, and I just enjoyed staying there.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo