“No Poached Eggs”

Ranked #22 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Kyle of Lochalsh, United Kingdom
“No Poached Eggs”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights during Galway Festival. Very basic rooms clean. Guy on reception friendly. Handy for the town but nothing around the hotel apart from business park. Small basic bar area. Breakfast experience was bad. Breakfast was supposed to start at 7.30 but saw staff strolling in at 7.30 so unfortunately didn't have time to have the cooked breakfast as by the time they actually wandered over to our table we had no time to eat a cooked as had to be at Galway Races for a meeting. We asked for poached eggs instead of the "Full Irish" but the member of staff did not understand English very well and we ended up with boiled eggs. We were very much left to find our way round the breakfast area, staff spent more time in kitchen than out front so guests just wandered about trying to find food. Definately wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Shelagh F
TravelodgeUK, Public Relations Manager at Travelodge Galway, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear clanfraser

Thank you for your post. We aim to provide a high level of service at all times, and I am sorry to learn of your disappointment on this occasion.

Your feedback is important to us, and we would like to fully investigate your concerns. To assist us with this, please can you visit our main Travelodge website and use the new ‘Contact Us’ form, to provide us with full details of your issues.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Belfast
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Was looking forward to Galway so much and couldnt believe it when we arrived at the Travelodge which is basically in the middle of what I can only describe as an industrial park! No descrption of this when I booked, I could have lived with this, but, worse was to come! When we opened the door to the room, which I do have to say was spotless, we couldnt believe it.....only 1 word to describe it, GRIM! I have seen better hostels. As a former travel agent I have seen and stayed in some bad properties and it really takes a lot for me to feel compelled to give any property a bad review. We had booked 2 nights and stayed 20 mins! The only good point was the very friendly and helpfull guy in reception when we checked in!

Room Tip: Top tip to choose a good room! Yeah, choose a room NOT in this hotel!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank LibOwen
GalwayManagment, General Manager at Travelodge Galway, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear Betty,

We are very disturbed to read your review. It is confusing as you praise the hotel for cleanliness of the room and friendliness of the staff. On the other hand you criticise the location. Whereas the hotel is situated 10 minutes walk from the Eyre Square and 5 minutes from Atalia Lake – a great walking spot.
What is more, we have no record of anyone checking in and checking out after 20 minutes. If you would like to discuss the issue further please contact the hotel directly.

Kind Regards,
Drogheda, Ireland
Reviewed September 9, 2012

we stayed here for two nights and were so disappointed with our experience. the man on reception was so rude and not welcoming at all. not a great start to what was supposed to be a relaxing weekend away. the rooms were fine however very clean. what really annoyed us was a letter we received saying we were "too loud". We were barely even in the rooms as we were exploring the town yet we got this very rude letter? despite a number of hens and stags along our corridor shouting at all hours of the morning. Very badly run, hardly any staff around if you need help. most definitely would not return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank lovetotravel i
Good Afternoon,

Travelodge Hotels have Sleep Tight Policy. Letters are issued fairly; only to the guests causing disturbance. We praise ourselves in taking care of our guests equally. Should you feel you were mistreated please do not hesitate to contact the hotel directly.

Kind Regards,

Seamus McWilliams,
Wokingham
Reviewed September 8, 2012

One of 4 TLs stayed at while touring Ireland last week. Very courteous service and perfectly happy to book us in at 12.00 rather than have to wait til 3.00. Normal TL lodge room with no problems at all. Free car parking. About a 15 min. (brisk) walk into city centre. What a great place Galway - so many bars and restaurants with live music playing everywhere - a real buzz to the place and and the people are great. Worth a look at the Cathedral and the City museum - both free. Ate at Venice - good authentic Italian and Kumars - nice, intimate Indian.
Would love to return and would have no hesitation in recommending the Travelodge at 50 euros per night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nick-Wokingham
GalwayManagment, General Manager at Travelodge Galway, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Dear Nick,

thank you for this positive feedback and thank you for choosing to stay in Travelodge.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay in Galway and that you would recommend the hotel to other visitors to the city.

We look forward to having you back at some stage in the future.

All the best,

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We booked into the Travelodge for one night on 4th September. The location was very good. The rooms were basic but fine otherwise, with no sheet for the sofa bed (so I slept on a duvet with another over me). We had to ask for more teabags and milk also. The staff however, have no manners to speak of. When I arrived, I asked if it would be possible to get a late checkout (I hadn't booked one). The girl on the reception desk said she would check with her colleague and let me know. She called up to the room a few minutes later, said it was fine and that there would be a €10 charge. We had no change on us, so she said we could pay at any time.

The following afternoon at 14:50, I was just about to leave the room when the girl from the night before and a cleaner arrived, banging on the door. The girl wanted to know why I had not paid the €10 surcharge by 1 O' clock, although this was not mentioned before. I explained to her that I was just about to check out (at 3, as agreed), that I had walked in and out several times and there was nobody on the desk to pay, so I had planned on paying on checkout. She said "don't take that attitude with me!", I was very surprised as I was just explaining the situation to her. Her manner was very unprofessional and over-the-top.

I then went downstairs to pay the fee and checkout. At the desk, I noticed a young couple checking in. They told me that they had travelled 3 1/2 hours from Limerick on the bus with their two children (aged 7 years and 5 months). The woman was also pregnant.They were having a lot of trouble checking in. They had reserved the room using a family member's credit card and were paying the full balance in cash. This however, was not good enough for the foreign gentleman on the front desk. He demanded photo ID from the couple. They explained that they had called the previous day at half 4 and were told their booking was fine and that the hotel staff looked forward to their visit. Now, however, it was a different story. They were told that they would need to travel the 3 1/2 hours to Limerick and the 3 1/2 hours back to get a passport. They pleaded with the man on reception, but he wouldn't budge. The woman had her social welfare receipt with her name, address and PPS number on it, but were told that this was not acceptable. By now, the little boy was crying loudly and saying he wanted to go to the room and the couple were very upset. They seemed like very decent people and didn't raise their voices to the receptionist, however he deemed it OK to tell the little boy to shut up and stop crying.

The receptionist relented and said that they could stay for one night, but that they had to give a deposit of €100 on top of the room price. I felt very sorry for them, as the woman told me this would leave them with €50 spending money for their three day holiday. Meanwhile, the receptionist told the man that he would have to travel the 3 1/2 hours to Limerick in the morning and then back to Galway with his passport. I feel that this young couple were treated disgracefully, and I know this is due to the fact that they were travellers, as we were not asked for photo ID. The receptionist was ignorant enough to say to the young man "For all I know, the police could be looking for you". This was totally unwarranted, and the most horrible case of discrimination that I have ever seen. I feel awful that this young couple were treated this way and had their holiday ruined. No paying customer should ever be treated like this, especially when they had the cash in their hand to pay upfront.

I will never stay at Travelodge again, and urge others to do the same.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Lilian P
Dear Lilian,

This review is a total fabrication of the truth and we as a company do not allow anyone to be aggressive or verbally abuse to our staff. Travelodge would not apologise for the rule that on check in a full identification is required. But if you require any more clarification please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Thank for taking the time to write this review

Regards

Seamus Mc Williams

Ireland
Reviewed August 27, 2012

My family of two adults and two children stayed here recently on a five night break in Galway. The staff were fantastic, particularly Vil on reception. A very homely hotel, lovely atmosphere. Anything we needed was catered for with no fuss by Vil. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The breakfast was fantastic and there was no charge for my 5 year old daughter. We found the hotel to be very quiet - we got a good night's sleep each night.

A.G.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Good Morning
We appreciate your positive review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay in the hotel. We are looking forward to your next visit in Galway and we hope we will be having you again.

All the best,
Taupo, New Zealand
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Spent a night here in June and it was great. Well located with an easy stroll to the town centre. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the staff extremely friendly, helpful and lot's of fun. Just what a trip to Ireland should deliver. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Solarpowered_12
GalwayManagment, General Manager at Travelodge Galway, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Good Morning
Thank you for your positive feedback and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We will look forward to having you back to the Travelodge for your next visit to Galway.
Warm Regards,