“Will go again.”

Raw Sushi In The Sky
Ranked #125 of 502 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Description: RAW - sushi in the sky... finally, authentic Japanese sushi comes to Galway! An intriguing proposition, and a perfect fit for the west of Ireland where some of the finest fresh fish available is landed, RAW is a destination restaurant at the top of the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa Galway. Serving an exciting selection of authentic Japanese sushi, sashimi, sakes and whiskies, RAW showcases local fish as much as possible in creating traditional Japanese sushi, led by master craftsman and Japanese native Hisashi Kumagai, RAW's chef. Open Tuesday - Saturday 6pm to 10pm
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Had the pleasure of eating at Raw in the Radisson in Galway, a couple of weeks ago, was not disappointed, service was excellent, and our waiter was veryhelpfull, will go there again.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

RAW is a sushi / japanese food restaurant on the 4th floor of the Radisson hotel in Galway City, just on the banks of Lough Atalia and about 200 ft from Eyre Square.

I had been wanting to go to RAW since it opened, so my partner and I finally went last Wednesday evening. We heard it was popular, and so we booked a table for 2 at 8pm, expecting it to be faily busy - there was only one other table of people when we arrived, so there was obviously no need to book... there are about 6 tables for 2 or 4 at the window so if you want a window seat maybe that would be reason? But I didn't think the view was great - we got mostly the side of the hotel, the railway track (which is under repair, so lots of scaffolding / works), cars/traffic going down Lough Atalia road, the massive oil tanks by the ship yard, and a glimpse of Lough Atalia, the river than flows out to Galway Bay. Off in the distance, the hills of Clare- but they became covered in fog. Hate to say, it wasn't anyting to write home about - maybe it's nicer when it's dark? (8pm here in June, it's still quite light out)

You could tell they tried their best with the room - it looks like a large meeting/conference room that was converted. But they did a great job with carefully placed bamboo plants, wall decor, and lighting. The music was the type you'd hear in a nightclub (?!) which seemed to jar with the overall atmosphere - just didn't seem to fit. I wasn't expecting Japanese music, but I certainly wasn't expecting dancing club beats either....

Service was excellent - 2 Japanese girls (I think another was Korean?). Very friendly, polite, extremely knowledgeable.

Now for the important part - the food!! I wouldn't pretend to be a sushi aficiondo, but I love sushi and I've had a LOT of it in a lot of different cities around the world. RAW sushi in Galway do a great job at what they do. The sushi, sashimi, and rolls were excellent, portion sizes good, blend of rice vinegar and flavours was perfect for me. Wasabi had a good kick without being JUST a kick - you could get a flavour of the horseradish. PIckled ginger was a little on the sweet side for me, I like it to be more sharp so it really does what it's meant to do and cleanses the palate. I really enjoyed it and, particularly as there's a lack of sushi restaurants in Galway and indeed in Ireland, I will most certainly be back and I might go with the "takeaway" option next time so I can avoid the club rocking beats and eat at home.

The one thing I was a bit disappointed in about the menu was the lack of range. The fish was mostly: salmon, tuna, scallop, eel, seabass and prawn offerings. Oh, and crab in the california roll. I can understand this, seeing as it's the first dedicated sushi restaurant in Galway and so they have to start basic and build up, it would be costly to buy in types of fish that people won't order... but I would have loved to see my favourite Toro (fatty tuna), octopus, squid.... also a bigger range of rolls. I hope if this place keeps going and hopefully has good turnover, that they will increase the range.

One other thing - price. The price for the food I felt was reasonable, the sushi I've had in Dublin by comparison is much more expensive. But the drinks... Over €10 for the cheapest option for a glass of wine?! They have no japanese beers on draught, but will kindly go down to the hotel bar to get one. The saki was OK, not the best I've had, but the basic one was €5.50 for about 175cl so that wasn't too pricey.

One last note - at time of writing, it's only open Tues - Sat.

Look forward to trying again!

Reviewed June 14, 2013

I love this restaurant, it has some of the finest tasting salmon I have had anywhere. I go here at least twice a month to get my sushi fix. Staff are lovely and very attentive and the menu is refreshed on a regular basis. The food is really well priced for the quality and you get more than enough to eat. The ambiance is really nice with good views over lough Atalia. If you find yourself in Galway with a craving for something light and filling, this is the place to go.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I love sushi so I was keen to try RAW in the Radisson hotel in Galway. It's on the fourth floor and the window seats has nice view of Lough Atalia, and the docks, complete with the oil storage tanks. Feeling brave I went for the Sashmi and some Oshi sushi. The sashimi was excellent and included tuna, salmon, swordfish and sea bass. the pieces were substantial enough with wasabi and ginger too. The Oshi sushi was 6 pieces of rice and mackerel, very tasty. The fish was very fresh. The Nigiri looked delicious too. I'll try that next time. It wasn't busy so I probably didn't need to book the window seat. I'm sure that wont always be the case if this place takes off.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We were very well received at the restaurant by Miyuki and Tomoko. All of the staff are from Japan and one is from Korea, being all are very simpathetic. The food is very good (ask the kuma's selection menu) for 35euros. More than enough for 1 person. Maybe two people can eat it. I recommend the restaurant for everybody looking for good japanese food in Galway.