“Outstanding”

Ranked #21 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Enniskillen, United Kingdom
“Outstanding”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. The staff are outstanding and so friendly you are made to feel so welcome from the moment you arrive. The food is first class just a pity I couldn't have stayed for a few more days but I will be back

• Stayed April 2014
Louise P, Guest Relations Manager at The Connacht Hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Mr. Shay Livingstone and all the Team here at The Connacht Hotel, I wish to thank you for writing your review and for such a glowing recommendation of the Hotel.

It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and we appreciate your very positive feedback.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to us again in the near future.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Booked this hotel for a 6 night stay through Booking.com. got a good deal £330/390 euro for 2 adults and 2 children. This hotel has everything you could possibly want or need from a hotel and more !
Free fast wifi everywhere in hotel, internet sockets in rooms for Ethernet cable, swimming pool (free but u have to buy a swimhat which costs 2.50 ) gym , didn't use that so cant comment on that.Large bar and restaurant . Bar has large tvs for sports etc. Restaurant does a lovely carvery on Sunday only 11.99 euros. Room service meals can be ordered , menu in rooms but charge is 5 euros .
Rooms are in different blocks we were on ground floor Block A room 1080 . Large room , modern with beautiful ensuite .Blackout curtains so we weren't woken to early by bright sunshine. Cleaners came everyday to make bed , put fresh towels etc.
Tea /coffee making facillites in room, hair dryer , iron , ironing board and trouser press.
They do special packages for hen/stag dos , so we saw some of those partys , but didn't really hear any noise from them. This is massive hotel and they probably put them in one wing.
Large free carpark. Very easy to find as on Dublin Road near hospital. Has a shop, hairdressers and post office over the road. Bus stops to and from centre are about 2/3 mins walk and buses very regular. bus fares adult 1.90 child 1.15 Most buses take you into Eyre Sq, which is main bit of centre We got a taxi sometimes , prices were between 8/9 euros. We walked to town twice , took about 30 minutes.
They have a childrens club where kids can do different activities and have entertainment, cost 6 euro for 1st child and 4 euro for others.
Children under 16 can use the pool up till 8pm.
The only gripe I have was the hotel is very warm , we had to sleep with our bedroom window open because it just felt there was no air. Better to be warm than cold though ! I have stayed in plenty of hotels that have been freezing but this was a first for me to be too hot .
If I come to Galway again I would definatley stay here again ! 10 out of 10 !

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank leedslass1965
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Mr. Shay Livingstone and all the Team here at The Connacht Hotel, I wish to thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us by writing your review.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and we appreciate your very positive feedback.

Dublin
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I stayed here for a few days at the end of March. Although the hotel is welcoming , rooms clean and the staff friendly & helpful , my one gripe is the bed. It was so hard and so uncomfortable that I did not have one restful night. I suppose this was an issue because my trip to Galway was meant to be one of rest and relaxation, something which would've been possible with a good night's sleep. Unfortunately this didn't happen...

I take a trip to Galway at least once a year. I have stayed at this hotel/property when it was formally Days Hotel and then the Carlton Hotel. The location is great - a few minutes drive from town and a few minutes drive from Salthill. The sleepless nights , however, may make me reconsider for next time...

Lido de Jesolo italy
Reviewed April 9, 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights. Lovely hotel -lovely leisure centre. Ask for room in A wing- all have balconies.Nice bar. 25 minute walk from centre of city. Walk along estuary very nice to get you to city centre.

Room Tip: A wing the one with balconies
1 Thank Irishgirlaway
Dear Guest,

I wish to thank you sincerely, for taking the time to share your experience following your last visit to us by writing your review.

It was lovely to read that you enjoyed your stay and we appreciate your very positive feedback.

We hope to have the pleasure of looking after you again in the very near future.

Sligo, Ireland
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed here in room 1094A on the 29th of March, as part of my sisters hen party! After travelling for a couple of hours we were happy to get checked in early so we could relax for a couple of hours. Check in was very busy when we arrived so this was appreciated.

We went to the restaurant for something to eat before we headed off, again the restaurant was busy and there was only one lady serving up food. She must have been under a lot of pressure as there was approx 20 people waiting to be served behind me. Could not fault her though as she had a smile for each person she encountered. A manager came over to her and noticed she was busy as I heard him tell her he's sending someone out to her to help.
My mother and I headed to the bar to get a drink, we were expecting it to be busy as the football was on . I was waiting to be served for around 10 mins, when a man from a stag party shouted at one staff member to serve me, he might have thought he was doing me a favor but I work in a hotel myself and know how annoying and rude it is to be shouted at while your busy. I said sorry to the chap who served me as I was mortified! But again himself and staff behind the bar were very kind. I could only fault one thing- The prices. I bought my sister a WKD and it was 6.35. Very expensive for a light drink.
We dressed up for the night and our outfits were a little messy - feathers :/ Apologies to the hotel we didn't realize they would be so messy. A member of staff was sweeping it up but he could have waited until we left instead of coming in between us sweeping , which kind of gave us the impression to move on.
My sister , another lady from our group and I decided to head back early to get a good sleep as we were working prior to our trip. As we arrived back to the hotel a gentleman stopped us to check our room numbers, luckily we knew ours but the other lady didn't. We felt like we were going through security just to get to our rooms. She remembered it but he raised an eyebrow and let us through- as if he was doing us a favor.
When we arrived at our room the heat was unbearable, I 'turned down' the heating but after an hour of tossing and turning it was still roasting. I opened the windows to let some air in thats the best we could do. Just as we were nodding off to sleep we heard the baby next door to us screaming at the top of its lungs -not the hotels fault- but the adjoining door didn't help :-(
After a rough night of sleep, we got up to go get breakfast early to beat the ques. I went to have a shower but the water was ice cold :-( After 3 attempts I gave up. I was annoyed as this shouldn't happen in a 4 star hotel. I brushed it off and we headed on down to get breakfast. .
We were greeted by a lovely lady who brought us to a table. The selection was ok , I found it odd there was roast potatoes on the buffet.. There were no teapots to get tea when we came back up from the table.. I noticed while waiting families had 3 or 4 massive teapots on their tables obviously to lazy to top up the one they had which left us and other guests waiting for tea/coffee.
I went to reception after check out to inform the lady about the shower in the room. She took note and thanked me for informing her and apologized too.

I work in a 4star hotel and know how important customer service is. Your staff were a pleasure especially reception and house keeping. From what I noticed managers were always keeping an eye on things and helped staff under pressure- Professional.

Again the only things I could fault was the heat in the bedrooms, noise coming from adjoining doors and the price of your drinks.
Not sure if I would return as it is a bit far out from the city and taxis are v expensive.

Tipperary, Ireland
Reviewed April 9, 2014

I stayed here on the 3rd and 4th of April on a deal for €99 for two nights b & b and a main course, this is a fabolous hotel and it really dosnt look anything special on the outside, yet as soon as you enter the spacious foyer this changes. The staff from the checking in staff, waitress's and the bar staff are some of the best I've ever seen, their training must be fantastic as I stay in a lot of hotels for work and I was really impressed. Room really nice and very large I stayed in the renovated part of the building. Our main course included Sea bass which is very impressive again service really good and food beautiful. Breakfast was lovely standard buffet. All in all hugely impressed with this hotel and location only a few minutes from Galway City.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mary K

northern ireland
Reviewed April 8, 2014

We have just returned from a 2 night stay here. Were on a living social deal. My husband and I had our baby with us. When we first arrived we checked in but found that they don't accept maestro card to hold a room. It was accepted for payment which I found a bit strange. Staff are pleasant but don't engage in conversation ie ask if its your first time here, direct you to leaflets on what to do etc. Check in wasn't busy either so they could have done. Place was very lively. As it was a Sunday morning I think a lot of hen nights etc were still about which made the bar noisy and untidy as everyone was just sprawled about hungover. Outside the hotel looks very shabby and rundown. Windows are dirty and walls are a half finished paint job. There is a big area outside when heading to wing a that is overgrown and could easily be turned into a playpark for kids. Love the underground car park, meant we didn't have to cart our things too far. Heating in hall is stifling and bar was quite cold. When we got to our room there was blood on the wall of the bathroom. Didn't notice this until the 2nd day though. Bed is only a double so was very small, room was also small for a family room. We tried to run a bath for our daughter and couldn't get cold water to cool it down or brush our teeth, had to be done with warm water. Shower is very hard to work to try and get the temperature right. Bathroom is lovely so this did let it down. There is no guest book information, you just get a sheet of paper which I found unacceptable for a hotel. There should be leaflets on excursions and information about the hotel etc in a folder. Iron was completely black but I phoned reception and a new one was sent up quickly. We did check in very early which was much appreciated but most of these issues weren't related to housekeeping. Socket behind tv was broken and furniture was a bit damaged. They seem to have hundreds of people coming and going all the time though but this sort of thing should be checked. We had dinner on the 2nd night in the reubens restaurant. Beautiful steak, one of the nicest we have ever had. I ordered the strawberry cheesecake after but it was horrid. Just strawberry mousse on top of soggy biscuit. Had to send it back but it was no problem and was refunded off bill. Our server was a foreign gentleman with glasses and was very, very nice. He was also there at breakfast on the last morning and is extremely helpful. Breakfast was lovely. It was a buffet and help yourself to toast etc which I much prefer as you can just take it easy then. Yoghurt and fresh fruit salad was lovely, lots of melon etc, Sausages werent great but scrambled egg and bacon nice. People down in their pj bottoms?? Definitely needs a dress code. The leisure centre was relaxing and just what we needed, wasn't too busy either as it was a Monday morning. Had to walk past a conference room though with wet hair and looking a mess after which isn't ideal. Smoking area is right outside the front door as well which is horrible and when we ordered a taxi from the Freephone at reception down to the town the taxi company charged us 12 euro which was a rip off! Got different one on street for way back and it was 8. A few tweaks would make this hotel a far better place and I really think a bit of an uplift is needed. I think a room in the family wing would be fab as well with a microwave and sink etc for washing bottles and sterilising and heating them up etc as its a long trek to the bar if you need to feed a baby or heat up some food. It would most definitely get a higher score from us if a few things were changed to make it that bit more special and welcoming rather than feeling like you're on a conveyor belt. Staff seem to do a fab job so can't fault them at all. A nice stay and lovely spacious foyer and bar etc. Good value for the deal we were on but I wouldn't pay the full rate.

Room Tip: They seem to have different wings for different groups so shouldn't really be an issue with room...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family