“Great Food”

Ranked #21 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Monaghan, Ireland
“Great Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

The Connacht is a very large hotel with about 400 bedrooms on the outskirts of Galway city. We were there from the 20th to the 23rd August. The hotel was very busy - I'd say all rooms were full! We had a little wait to check in and our room was in the furthest block away from reception. The room was very comfortable with two double beds. Our package included breakfast each morning and one dinner. We had a lie in on the first morning and got to breakfast about 10.30. There was a queue, but we were seated within 5 minutes. There was a good selection of cold and hot food, with the traditional Irish breakfast being particularly tasty. We had an earlier breakfast on the other mornings and there were plenty of seats. We had dinner one evening and again the food was very tasty and our waitress was very professional and friendly.
The only negative I would say is that I left my make-up in the room when we checked out and it was not found, even though I telephoned and asked a friend to call to the hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Polish first
Carndonagh, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Myself husband and two kids stayed in this hotel for three nights at the end of August. It is a lovely clean hotel with pleasant staff and a good leisure centre. The problem lies with the Restaurant. We ate here one of the nights as it was included in our package. Starter and dessert were good but the main courses were awful. My husband ordered the burger, it was so unappetising looking it was flat and like something u would get in Mc Donalds or Supermacs!! I ordered marinated chicken strips on a boxty potato wth a tarragon and garlic cream sauce. Sounds delicious but I have to say it was probably the worst dish i have had in my life. The boxty potato was dry and had no flavour at all, there was about a teaspoon of sauce and the chicken strips was a pile of chicken served in a bowl (very strange to say the least). The thought of it nearly turns my stomach. Chips were also very tasteless. I generally do not complain and we are by no means fussy but the food certainly left a very bad impression on us! I certainly would stay here again as it is a fine hotel but we will certainly be eating elsewhere!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Fiona M
Louise P, Guest Relations Manager at The Connacht Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shay Livingstone, General Manager and all the Team here at the Connacht Hotel, I wish to thank you for taking the time to write your review and share your experience with us.

It was wonderful to read that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay with us and we very much appreciate you very positive comments.

We are always delighted to receive our guest’s feedback which is very important to us.

We hope that we can look forward welcoming you back to us again in the near future.

Guest Relations Manager.
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

Room 2100 is an internal corner room of building, and has either ventilation extractors or generator, or both, sitting 5 metres externally adjacent to the corner of the room.These can be seen from your window, with half your view covered by above, and the other view, the internal car park. Fair sized room, but I felt like I was in a berth of a cross channel ferry with the noise, with a constant hum surounding the room, with the noise being heard internally with the windows shut. Open window and you will know what I mean. I asked staff at reception, who told me these were for the kitchens below, and would cease at 9pm. I asked about noise in the morning, before I left the hotel that evening, and was told straight to my face by blonde antipodean receptionist, that the noise would not be there in the morning. She lied, and after a lovely, late night in Galway, I was woken approx 7.45 with noise, after going to bed at 2am. Not happy ! If you like cross channel ferry berths, then this is the room for you !
I have travelled a lot, and understand the difficulties of hotels, catering for large numbers of customers, but I had brought this noise to the attention of staff, and was told a lie. Not good enough.I should have been moved to another room, as I had also paid when I arrived, in good faith. I would suggest the manager sells this room as a business room, Monday to Thursday nights, as Im sure businessmen would be up at 7.30 to have their breakfast at 8am, so the noise would not disturb them !

Room Tip: Do not accept room 2100 if you want to have extra time in bed in the morning. Im assuming rooms clos...
1 Thank MarcOMaoldomhnaigh
Tipperary, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Just home from one night at this hotel and definently won't be returning. We decided to stay at this hotel as we got a good offer with breakfast and it was my husbands birthday so we wanted to take a breakaway. Before we even arrived things were going wrong. We found it a little difficult to find the hotel so I rang and got through to a lady,I think she was Australian or New Zealand. She said she couldn't understand my accent(Irish by the way) and put me through to a man. He gave us helpful directions and we found the hotel. Checked in and went to our room. Very small! And we asked for a double room and got a twin so my husband just pushed the two beds together. He wasn't too bothered by the idea. We then went to the bar for our dinner as we were very hungry after a long drive. Service was nice and speed of service was fast. My husband found his meal delicious apart from his vegetables that were not fully cooked. My husband went to the Bar to get drinks and as he did I was eating my salad that came with my steak sandwich. I wasn't even going to eat it but decided I would.found two pieces of plastic(looked like cling film) in the salad. Just as I found the plastic my husband came down with the drinks,my glass covered in lipstick! I felt sick about everything. Spoke to the waitress who apologised,who then got the head barman Jim who spoke to us and then got the general manager. The general manager just seemed to be making excuses for everything that went wrong. He apologised. That was it. We got a complimentary drink. I couldn't wait to get out of the hotel and go to the city for a walk around with my husband. Slept well,no noise and got up next morning for a shower. No hot water in our shower whatsoever. Was freezing.just washed my hair over the bath with cold water. Didn't bother bringing it to the attention of anyone as there would probably be nothing done anyway. Breakfast was ok,bit of a queue but it moved fast. No teapots for tea so just brought up my cup and filled it myself. Asked for a teapot but didnt get one and No teaspoons.
Will not stay in this hotel again even if I got a room for free. The worst hotel we have ever stayed in and we are both in our mid thirties. I work in a hotel myself in food and beverage and couldn't believe what We experienced. I wouldn't mind one or two things going wrong but it just seemed to be endless. Glad to hear some people had a great stay at the Connacht hotel,just wish I could say the same.

2 Thank 500Becky
Louise P, Guest Relations Manager at The Connacht Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with you. I was very pleased also to have the opportunity to speak with you in person and I appreciate your call.

As discussed during our telephone conversation your experience would not to be usual experience of our guests. We take all our guest comments and suggestions very seriously and address any issues raised in a timely manner to ensure we can rectify any unfortunate breakdowns in service.

I look forward to a return visit from you in the near future.

Guest Relations Manager
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

Firstly, this hotel is massive. 400+ rooms i think...

Check in was fast and efficient. Checked in by a polite professional lady.

Our room was modern and tastefully decorated. We had a suite consisting of a bedroom, sitting room and kitchen. The sitting room was locked on our first night but this was opened on our second night once we requested it. The only thing id say about this being locked was that the sitting could be used by the room the opposite side if they wished. But if the other room was using the sitting room they could open the door directly into our room. From our side to unlock it needed a key, but from inside the sitting room it had a knob to unlock it, no key required. So if the other room had booked as a suite (which they had on our first night) they could walk straight into our room.

The mattresses were really comfortable, however they were two single beds joined together. The base of the bed were attached together but the mattresses themselves were not and twice I woke up having slipped down between the two of them, wasn't great for a couple.

We ate twice in the hotel. The Friday evening when we arrived we had some bar food. Three waitresses stood around a till chatting. We eventually had to ask for menus even though they saw us sitting down. While we were choosing what to eat two different people had to ask them if they could order. Waiting staff seem to lack leadership and if there was a supervisor they were not doing their job. Jim (the head barman) was very pleasant and was walking around clearing plates off tables while the girls chatted. I had the Louisiana Tagatelle which was just plain bland and boring but the other half had the steak sandwich which was much nicer. Also the bill was placed on our table once they took the order which I thought was quite rude considering we hadn't been brought even our drinks at that stage. Had the carvery before we left which was really nice. Good selection and tasted good.

The bar was under serious pressure on Saturday night with one of the barman spending ages mixing cocktails which he obviously had no clue how to do. He relied on a little booklet. Was cringe-worthy watching him making them. At €8 a cocktail you expect professionally made cocktails. The other barman (Conor) was very friendly and professional. Did his best at all times to keep everyone happy.

Overall the hotel is generally very good. Main thing I would say is the food service needs to be better supervised. And more staff needed in the bar at peak times.

Would stay here again no problem.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Louise P, Guest Relations Manager at The Connacht Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shay Livingstone, General Manager and all the Team here at The Connacht Hotel, I wish to thank you for taking the time to write your review and share your experience with us.

We appreciate your constructive comments and I have highlighted the points you have addressed with the Heads of the Departments involved, so that we can improve our service.

Guest Relations Manager.
Hartford, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

We booked our hotel months in advance. It was the most expensive hotel we booked and did not include breakfast, which all of the other hotels we booked had it included. They 'locked' our phone down so we could not even make toll free calls. The room was very small and there were 3 of us. It backed up to the car park which was extremely noisy most of the night. You have to keep the windows open because there is no air conditioning. This is true in most hotels in Ireland, but this was backed up to the trash as well and ALL NIGHT we heard crashing bottles as the trash was emptied. The breakfast was awful and very expensive whic is outrageous considering what the room cost. It was 183 euro/night. We will not be staying there again.

Room Tip: Make SURE you are in a room facing the front of the hotel and not in a room in the wing near the car...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank alimwm
Manistique
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

This place is huge! There were two sports teams checking in when we did!! But it was fine for our purposes. We stayed two nights, before and after going to Inishmoir. The one thing I missed was a clock in the room but I've noticed that alot of places in Ireland didn't have clocks (wonder why?) Would stay here again if ever in Galway.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family