Barnacles Hostel Galway
$259
$200
$194
  • Restaurant
The Connacht Hotel(Galway)(Great Value!)
$162
$145
$167
Sea-Breeze Lodge(Galway)
$297
Clayton Hotel Galway(Galway)(Great Value!)
$156
$238
  • Pool
Menlo Park Hotel(Galway)(Great Value!)
$177
$163
Travelocity
$162
$158
All reviewsgreat locationbed dormquay streetfree breakfastcommon roompancake machinepub crawlperson roomprivate bathroomcan't beat the locationnight lifecentral locationlatin quarterbars and restaurantscommon areasenjoyed my staybeds were comfortable
Reviewed December 5, 2012

Enjoyed a fantastic weekend (with friends) in Galway and I can honestly say that Barnacles Hostel played a major part. From a very warm welcome by reception staff on arrival, an ideal room (104) which was clean, airy and ready. But the best bit is their location which you could not get better and gives Barnacles the brilliant atmosphere and fantastic vibe. Top marks to all and we will be back. Best Regards, Kenny Byrne Dublin

PS - Try the Rickshaws which are freely available outside the hostel to get to other side of Eyres Square :)

Room Tip: Room 104 is for four with on suite bathroom. This is definitely the party room right outside nightclub Quays, not ideal if looking for a quiet night.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Lidija R, Business Development at Barnacles Hostel Galway, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Hi Kenny,

Thank you so much for taking time and leaving this lovely review! We are delighted you had a great time in Barnacles! Galway is brilliant place, isn't it?

It is great to get reviews like this, as we work very hard to make sure our guests enjoy their time in Galway, and really appreciate when that is recognized.

Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed December 5, 2012

This hostel was better than i had hoped for -- for a cheap hostel this place was very clean, efficient, and had a great location. I generally don't expect much when I stay in a dorm-style hostel, but I would definitely go back to Barnacles. The staff was super friendly, and for the price we paid, I think we got much more than our money's worth!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Becky

Thank you for taking time and leaving review for us. We are delighted you were pleasantly surprised by our location, facilities and prices!

We work very hard on providing excellent value to our guests, and really appreciate when those efforts are recognized.

Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed in Barnacles back in May with a friend. We were just in Galway for one night but it was a great place to stay! Right from checking in the staff were so friendly and helpful.
We stayed in a double room which was a little on the small side but still very nice and had everything we needed.
One downfall was the push button shower which I'm not a fan of but I know they are in a few hostels, a regular shower would have been much better though.
The hostel is in a great location right in the center of everything.
We were going on a girls night out so we asked the girl on reception where the best places to go were and she was really helpful and sent us on a fab night out, the same goes for the guy on reception when we returned from our night out, on suggesting things to do the next day!
We unfortunately missed breakfast but the kitchen facilities seemed pretty good.
Overall Barnacles is a great place to stay if you're in Galway!

Room Tip: We had a double room on the first floor to the left side of the building which didn't seem to catch much noise
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Rachk133,

Thank you for taking time and leaving the lovely review. We are delighted you had a great time in Galway (Its really the best place for awesome nights out!).

We try very hard to make sure our guests enjoy their time in Galway, and really appreciate when those efforts are recognized.

Hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed December 1, 2012 via mobile

We had stayed at the Barnacles in Dublin, which was a WONDERFUL experience, so when we came to Galway the logical thing was to stay at the one here. We were wrong. The Barnacles in Galway is nothing short of mediocre, especially compared to its Dublin cousin. The service was generally pretty okay, but while the Dublin Barnacles would let you stay if you were in the common room/kitchen after midnight, the Galway group will have none of that, going so far as to actually kick you out.

On our last night the kitchen was closed and locked 15 minutes BEFORE midnight, and once its closed, it doesn't reopen. The next morning the kitchen was much too small to fit the vast number of people attempting to eat.

Our room was cold. Miserably cold. We had to have a member of staff come up and look at the heater before we got any semblance of warmth (which he did, happily). However, our room faced the very busy drag through Galway, and as such we were kept up all night be the raucous pubs both across the street and right next door.

The shower was controlled with a button. One button. There is no way to regulate temperature or water pressure and the button must be pushed every 15 seconds (literally) in order to keep the shower running.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Alex A
Reviewed November 24, 2012

I have stayed in about 30 hostels throughout the world. I won't lie and say this is the worst. However, it is certainly in the bottom 3. Please see the reasons why:

1)Location: It is in a central location. However, this means that there is a lot of noise at night. Galway is a small city so I would prefer to be an extra 500 yards from the action and get a decent night's seep.

2)The common room: There are very few channels. There is also no where to go after midnight. I asked the person at reception, "Is there anywhere that I can please go to chill out". The person looked me up and down and pointed to a bench beside reception where I assume people go when they are waiting in line to check in. The bench looked like it had been ripped out of a church. It was that uncomfortable

3)The wifi: This is not available in the rooms like many other hostels.

4)Prices: It costs about 22 euro per night. This is roughly the same price as Kinlay house hostel. I would advise people to stay there instead.There is also a shop right next door but they sell things at reception with a fifty percent mark up. I'm not sure what the point of that is. You also have to pay for pretty much every little thing(except breakfast which I shall get to momentarily). For example, most hostels provide a computer to use for free. At Barnacles, you have to pay a euro for 15 minutes. Extremely over priced.

5) The breakfast: Very basic. They do not even serve cereal. Instead, they offer bread, tea/coffee and orange juice made from concentrate.

6)The staff: Some of the staff were quite nice but the old one(I think she was the manager) came across quite smug.

7)Size of the bedrooms: I was in a 4 bedded room and it was extremely small. I paid about 25 euro per night as I wanted an extra comfort but instead it felt like I was at a prison. The rooms were that small.

Over all, I have to admit that it is in a central location but this has it's problems. It is certainly not worth the price.

Room Tip: Go to a different hostel.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Arnold91
Lidija R, Business Development at Barnacles Hostel Galway, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Arnold

Thank you for your review. We are always open to criticism when warranted but I feel this review is a tad unfair. It seems to have less to do with any real issues at the hostel, and more to do with not receiving a refund when you cancelled your reservation inside Hostelbooker’s cancellation policy.

On Saturday morning you asked to be refunded for that nights stay. We declined to offer you a refund, as Hostelbookers booking process clearly states their 48 hour cancellation policy. As an alternative to a refund I had offered to move your reservation to a future date so you could stay another night using the money you had already paid and thereby not lose out. You declined this offer.

I'm surprised by the low rating you gave our hostel considering when I enquired why you wanted to leave early you said it had nothing to do with the hostel, everything was fine, but you had to leave to attend family matters. But since you raised some issues I would like to set the record straight on these.

Common room
We have 63 channels on our TV in the Common Room.
We close our common room at 12 midnight to clean it and ensure the comfort of guests sleeping overhead. And yes, we do have an authentic church bench in our hallway. This pew has been a popular part of our furniture since the hostel opened. It has a wooden seat and may not be the most comfortable but has many a great story to tell over the years.

Wifi
We have free wifi available to all our guests in the common areas of the building and in some bedrooms. We do not advertise WiFi through the entire hostel. In the New Year we’ll be rolling out free WiFi access to all remaining bedrooms.

Prices
Our rate for a 4 bedroom at weekends is €22.00, and €19.00 at weekdays. You mention paying “about €22” but you paid €19.50 per night. All our guests receive 15 minutes free internet access for our internet PCs upon check-in and can purchase additional access for €1 for 15 minutes thereafter.

Breakfast
For breakfast we provide juice, tea/coffee/hot chocolate, bread and preserves, standard fare at most hostels. Our orange juice is from concentrate, again standard at all hostels, B&Bs and many hotels. We wish we could offer freshly squeezed juice at breakfast but this is not practical or feasible at present.

Staff
Our staff is trained with the highest of customer service standards in mind. I am sorry I let you down on this occasion.

Size of rooms
You stayed one night in a 4 bedroom en suite. This room is spacious and comfortable. At €19.50 on a Saturday night on Quay Street in the heart of the city, with free breakfast, free wifi and free internet access and surrounded by Galway’s best pubs and restaurant it is s a reasonable price.

I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us, and I welcome you to return for a complimentary stay with us and give us another opportunity to serve you.

Kind regards