Barnacles Hostel Galway
$237
$259
  • Restaurant
The Connacht Hotel(Galway)(Great Value!)
$162
$141
$200
$194
$168
$162
Clayton Hotel Galway(Galway)(Great Value!)
$156
Menlo Park Hotel(Galway)(Great Value!)
$177
$163
Travelocity
Flannery's Hotel Galway(Galway)(Great Value!)
$128
$124
$270
$238
Travelocity
  • Pool
$307
$284
All reviewsgreat locationbed dormquay streetfree breakfastcommon roompancake machinepub crawlperson roomprivate bathroomcan't beat the locationnight lifecentral locationlatin quarterbars and restaurantscommon areasenjoyed my staybeds were comfortable
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Depending on what room you are in, you probably won't sleep until midnight at least. The Quays pub is just across the alley and there is another pub next to Barnacles that rocks out for awhile too, my advice is try not to get one of the front rooms (110-114). Our shower had no hot water, which sorta sucked with Galway's weather!

The kitchen is a great place to meet people, and has a wide variety of facilities to get your meals cooked on the cheap. The free breakfast is ok, enough to get you started for the day (toast/cereal/tea/coffee).

Talk to the staff! The staff here are incredibly friendly and helpful! They will help you with anything you want to know and can recommend great places for food and a good time.

Room Tip: Anything away from the front of the hostel will be quieter.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank brendanabbott
Reviewed August 15, 2012

This place is right in the busiest part of town for nightlife, bars, restaurants and the like. The place is well priced for the location, and that is why you are staying here: location. Do not expect amenities and do expect to be able to hear what's going on on the streets at 2am! For me, this was great because I was partaking in the nightlife during my entire stay in Galway. We stayed in the 2 bedroom apartment, not the actual hostel, so it is worth noting that I had excellent privacy. The staff was great too...just a no-frills place for a younger crowd that wants to be right in the mix.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I was impressed with this hostel--clean, no frills but just what we needed, safe/convenient location, I felt safe.....except the halls are a bit maze like, which is definitely not ideal if you're going to stumble in late at night after drinking. Make sure you know your way around! The bed was pretty comfortable.

The only thing is that it's near bars, so it can be loud at night, but then again I was there on a weekend in the summer, and our room faced the street, so perhaps on a less busy night it would be quieter---closing our window helped just a little.

The guy at the front desk was very helpful and fun to talk to!

(I actually traveled in July 2010, but there was no option for that)

Room Tip: Pick one away from the street!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This hostel is on one of the busiest streets in Galway so you are right next to some of the best bars, restaurants and shops in Galway. If you're looking for a good night out or two that makes this a good place to stay. If you're looking for a quiet restful place this is not a great choice. If you can request rooms and are looking for a good night's sleep ask for any dorm rooms or private rooms which don't face on to the main street.

The staff are mostly friendly and helpful with one or two exceptions. The 'free' internet access was out of order most of the time I was there. The common room and kitchen are well equipped-TV, DVDs, travel&fiction books and all the facilities you need for self-catering. The dorm room I was in was overcrowded and not particularly clean but for 10 euros a night to get a bed, shower, free luggage storage, 24hr keycard access, central location and free breakfast (toast/jam/coffee/juice) is pretty good value.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I stayed in Barnacles with a friend last Saturday night. This was only my second time ever staying in a hostel (not because Im a diva who insists on staying in hotels, but simply because Im not that well travelled!), and because I have heard some horror stories about hostels, my expectations were pretty low.

We checked in on Saturday evening, and the girl on the desk was most friendly and helpful. We hauled our baggage up the stairs, as there was no lift, and found our room (we booked a double). Although it was a little cramped and the bed took up most of it, it was clean and bright, and as we were heading out for the night, we just needed a place to shower, change and sleep, and our room met these requirements.

The location is excellent, in that you couldnt be in a more city centre place if you tried! Its ideal for anybody who is hitting Galway, and wants to experience its nightlife, as all the decent pubs are within a stones throw. There are also a number of very nice restaurants along the same street, so you wont be stuck for a place to eat. One of Galways most popular bars, The Quays, is directly across from the hostel. This is great if youre planning on heading out, but probably not so great if you book into Barnacles with the intention of getting a good nights kip, as the noise coming from The Quays and other nearby bars, coupled the hustle and bustle of people making their way up and down the pedestrianised street that the hostel is located on, was clearly audiable from our room. Again, this didnt bother us as we were going out.

The hostel do a deal with one of the multistorey car parks in the city, and its €8 for 24hrs parking, which is great. However, for those who may, for whatever reason, not be great for walking, the car park is a little bit away from the hostel. My friend and I would be reasonably fit so it took us about 6/7 minutes to walk there, dragging our bags after us, which wasnt a problem for us, but it did cross my mind that it might be considered a bit of a trek for other people.

Overall, Barnacles was perfect for the purpose of our trip, and I wouldnt hesitate to stay there again if I was going socialising in Galway.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends