“family stay”

Sleepzone Hostel Galway
Ranked #9 of 60 Specialty Lodging in Galway
Reviewed September 25, 2013

i have never stayed in a hostel before. but like most people in todays economic climate moneys tight . and i have to say i dont know why i didnt do it years ago . sleepzone was spottless and clean. on suite bathrooms were very clean to as was the beds and linen. Sarah the young receptionist couldnt have been more friendly and polite to both me and my family. going off duty and knowing i wouldnt be seeing her again as i was leaving she went out off her way to pop a booklet under our door off a list off hostels to stay at and a very friendly hand written note . not many staff would go out off there way to do that and my family were greatful. also a free breakfast each morning was a +. we have enjoyed our stay very much and are looking forward to returning

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank jackiethompson1970

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We've been travelling for years and never had the courage to stay in a hostel. This time, we decided to mix it up a bit, and what a great experience! Amazing staff, clean rooms, and very secure! We had arrived early and the woman working the front desk offered us the showers so we could get cleaned up after our long flight! Would definitely recommend!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Though this hostel has a high volume of beds, it still manages to have a friendly, laid-back atmosphere. The staff is helpful in recommending things to do and providing directions. Sleepzone is located a couple of blocks away from Eyre Square, and just across the square, there are pedestrian streets lined with shops, pubs, and restaurants. I liked the location because there was not much vehicle traffic outside.
The hostel itself is clean and very functional. Because my friend and I were a little late in booking our beds, we stayed one night in a nine-bed mixed ensuite dorm and one night in a six-bed mixed ensuite dorm. Each bed had an individual light, and each room had at least one window that could be opened to help circulate the air. Even so, the room was a little stuffy. The bathrooms had a clean toilet, sink, and shower.
The kitchen was spacious, and the hostel provided a tea, cold cereal, and toast breakfast each morning. There were also several lounge rooms, a few connected to the kitchen and eating area and a slightly larger room off of the front desk area. Although there were no lockers in the rooms, there was a luggage room next to the front desk area, and we were able to store our bags there the day we checked out even though we weren’t leaving the city until the afternoon.
Sleepzone cost a little bit more than we were hoping to spend, but it was a professional and comfortable facility.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The staff were friendly, the room was spacious and clean, the breakfast was free (although it's really just toast and tea but you can't complain when it's free!) and they didn't charge for towel! The price of the stay was good and the hostel is located just a two minute walk from Eyre Square in the centre.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 29, 2013

At first we had trouble finding the hostel, and we got all lost and confused. But it the end it turned out to be great. It's a relatively new hostel, or they refurbished it. It has an amazingly equipped kitchen, free tea and coffee- the machine kind which we all appreciated so much after coming from long walks down the beach.The general facilities area is clean, with a couple of separes-like quite rooms, where you can read or just contemplate, maximum of three or four persons, which is an excellent idea. The TV lounge is also great, we watched the finals of the Olympics 2012 there and met some of the most amazing fellow travelers. The staff is very friendly and professional. We had some trouble with the credit card with which i booked, but instead of just cancelling it, they called me asked if we could arrive earlier, or guarantee that we will for sure be there. Much appreciated! The only down side is that we were on ground level, our room window right there on the pavement level, so we could hear everyone that walked by- but good thing is that there were functional curtains. And a nice decent size en suite bathroom is also a plus.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 29, 2013

When I got to Galway, I asked people how to get to the hostel and struggled with the directions that I was given. I'm not good at remembering them. So, I called up the hostel and the girl who was working at the time, Sarah persevered through my stress and snaps and helped me out. It's hard to find people like that. When I got there, she was very helpful. Before going to Ireland, I joined the An Oige Hostel Association allows discounts to any members who stay in their hostels. I had to pay the day before arriving and forgot about my membership over the phone. So, when I got there, I showed Sarah my membership card and she happily gave me the discount then and there with no problems. Sarah was very polite the whole time and very helpful with many things such as explaining what's good to go to in the town.

The hostel itself was very nice. The free breakfast is small but simple; cornflakes and toast. You get free towels and free internet (only on the ground floor). The beds are also nice and comfortable.

The only two downsides are price which can get quite high in comparison to other hostels and the lack of plug sockets in the rooms.

I would gladly stay here again and I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Myself and 5 girls stayed here for the Galway races this year. It was very clean, the staff were very helpful and there were no problems with any curfews that I had experienced in other hostels.
The room was small but we weren't going to be there for long so it was fine. (We brought an extension lead for the very many hair dryers/straighteners/ chargers we were going to need!!)
Location was great too, walking distance to Eyre square & shop street!
I would have no hesitation of staying there again.

• Stayed: July 2013