“Not worth the wait!”

Goyas
Ranked #4 of 13 Dessert in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, Cafe, Soups
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Not worth the wait!”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We arrived at Goyas for coffee and cake and immediately became invisible! After 25 minutes and several failed attempts to get served we finally got some attention! My husband had 3 attempts at ordering a piece of cake before giving up and settling for coffee because they didn't have any of the cakes he ordered. The cakes the rest of us had were hearty portions but nothing special as was the coffee. My daughter's hot chocolate had so many lumps of powder floating in it she gave up trying to drink it! Then when we went to pay they tried to charge us for the cake my husband had been unable to have! Definitely not recommended!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Bernadette N

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Dromana, Australia
“My best latte in Galway to date”
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Have been in Galway and have searched for a decent cup of coffee to no avail.. Then I found Goyas hiding out the back in Kirwans Lane .. It is away from the hustle and bustle of the tourist traffic so you can sit and enjoy the peace . I had a delicious home made scone too. The latte was too hot for my personal likening but it was nothing a few minutes relaxing didn't fix .. The staff are lovely too

• Visited August 2013
Galway, Ireland
“Great cafe and great cakes”
Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

Have been coming here for many years and we always enjoy the lunches and cakes. Staff are lovely and we are delighted that they do a take home range. Coffee isn't the best but the cakes make up for it. Miss some of their old timers such as the baked cheese cake!

• Visited June 2013
Portaferry, United Kingdom
“Not for breakfast/brunch”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We went on a saturday morning around 11.30am looking for some kind of breakfast/brunch. The only thing we could really get on the menu was scones and a hot chocolate, there were no pastries or anything breakfast like. The scones were fine, nice that they are homemade but nothing to rave about, the hot chocolate was awful, just full of sugar and not much chocolate. Bit of a shame, have been meaning to go to this place for ages but was disapointed in the end. Maybe will try again as the cakes did look nice....

• Visited April 2013
Galway, Ireland
“Management made us uncomfortable”
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I really enjoy the food in Goya's. The cakes, lunches and drinks have been delicious for many years and continue to be so. However, after a series of visits in the second half of last year, I have stopped going there. The staff are lovely, the food is great but when it is very busy it becomes apparent that too many tables. The staff were moving as quickly as they could and were very apologetic to us. No problem. Such is life, and we said as much. However, it was quite obvious that all the staff were quite nervy, which would explain many issues as well. It became clear from the actions and speech of management that they were quite tyrannical. I can appreciate that it was probably done out of a desire to improve service but hearing harassed waitresses being berated when they are genuinely working as well as possible within an environment that is crushed and high pressure, well, it really ruins the taste of the food in your mouth. On the last incident of seeing it I paid my bill quickly, held my tongue and left before I gave the manager of her own medicine. I would really hope that they begin to hold their staff in a similar regard to the rest of their services soon.

• Visited December 2012