“Used to be great, now merely meh!”

The Cellar Bar and Restaurant
Ranked #68 of 489 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

I used to recommend this eaterie until my last visit.I'd always order the Cellar Burger (a homemade beef burger) which was awesome,but last time I visited what I was served was the limpest Iceland burger ever and when I queried why the menu hadn't been amended from Homemade burger to horrid frozen packet burger I was told by a snotty waitress that if I'd visited more recently then I'd have known that!! :-/ The Dail Bar is better value and better quality than this faded star.

3  Thank mcfaggio

Reviewed October 22, 2013

For a bar, we weren't sure what to expect, but the food was awesome!! The mains were typical of Ireland, but had an added twist that you couldn't find anywhere else. Try chef-recommended dishes and anything with pineapple. Service was quick even on a friday night, but the servers were a bit neglectful overall. Also, very good prices for the city of Galway!

Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

There is a reason people are calling this place good value. I do think that this place is very very cheap but you pay for what you get so its not really good value when the food is not good.

Soup was poor, bread was stale, roll was stale. Sandwich was sick and lamb stew had no lamb in it and was not fresh. Mash was microwaved within an inch of its life.

Never again. Avoid this place and go somewhere else, pay a little more and get decent food.

2  Thank Sneakypoo
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I've been here twice recently. Service was lightning quick each time, even though it was lunch time and the place was mobbed. You can see into the kitchen and everything flows really well between chefs and floor staff (I'm a chef so I'm always watching these things!)
Food was also very quick to arrive. Food is very good and good value, I can recommend the Steak Sandwich in particular. Only qualm is that it is quite hectic and the seating is not the most comfortable, but these would be minor quibbles.

1  Thank Bob-Johnny
Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

Always in here for lunch, the starter and main / main and dessert deal is always great for unbeatable prices. Always busy at lunch time but service still great!