“Fine Hostel”
Review of Amber Lodge B&B

Amber Lodge B&B
Ranked #172 of 189 Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 2, 2014

Do not think you are booking a B&B when you book this place, and you will be fine.

Fine hostel, clean sheets on bed, private room with bathroom, soap and towels provided, even light bulbs in the bedside lamp. Great location to town centre. Car park was tight but really nice to have. Easy check in, friendly staff. Free Wi-Fi which works most of the place in the house(didn't work in room8). Snacks vending machine available -Great hostel!

But as a B&B... not too sure. B&B that is not a owner's house? Beds not properly made at B&B? No 'cooked breakfast' even you have to pay extra at B&B? They do have tea/coffee facility in room but...I don't think so.

Room8, Family room, was fine for 2 adults. One double bed and two single beds in the room so it is possible for 2adults and 2children to sleep. But nowhere to put your bags, I usually have loads more stuffs when I travel with child.
Also the room is not safe for children. Head board for bad is not attached to anywhere, just placed between bad and wall so they are wobbly and dangerous.
Bedside table is at the height of your face - I bumped my head in the corner of table(photo). Toiled seat not attached(photo). Shower water turn boiling hot to ice cold every 10 seconds. Room floor with lots of dusts and fluffs. Not big problem for adults, as you can be just 'careful', but for children?

My advice If you want to stay at this hostel is to book a family room for two of you. But this is not a place for children.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Reviewed November 23, 2013

The worst place we have ever stayed. The photos make it look so much better, don't be taken in by them. When we arrived, we were greeted by a man and told that we had to pay the three nights, we had booked, NOW, we didn't even get a chance to put our cases down. We paid without thinking much about it, but in future I would ask to see the room first eventhough we had booked. Our room was the room shown in the photo of this b&b, in the car park literally, so everyone passing could see in. We asked if we could be moved to another room, we were moved to a room in the attic. This room was much more private and spacious, but as we were unpacking a few things, the man came running up the stairs and told us that he had just realised he needed the room for a booking the next night, so we would have to move rooms again in the morning. We agreed as we didn't want to go back to the first room. On closer inspection of the room we realised that the sheets were either stained or dirty, and the bath was badly marked or unwashed. The next morning we decided we would try breakfast, but as we hadn't booked the night before this was not possible (the person who came in to do the breakfast had gone, eventhough it was still breakfast time), we hadn't been told this, although I'm sure it wouldn't have been great. Anyway, we got moved to our next room it was above the first one, so not so public, had a view of the guest houses across the road. It was quite small and the bathroom really small, but we would survive that, we would only be there at night. But, before we went out I decided to use the loo,I tried to flush it but it would not flush, I tried to wash my hands but there was no water. It turned out they had had to turn the water off but had not informed any guests. We then tried to lock the door but it wouldn't lock, we ask the chamber maid (she said she had only started) she couldn't lock it, and there were a few problems with the locks. We had to wait for the owner to come back as he seemed to be able to get the lock to work. The owner didn't live on the property, just visited it now and again. Our night in this room was not as peaceful, we could hear other guests, who came in very late (early hours of the morning) and were very noisy for a few hours. The room had not been cleaned very well, my son dropped something and when we looked under the bed to find it, we found peices of rubbish including a cigerette packet. To sum up, there are lots of great places to stay in Galway for a similar price, this is not a well run place, it is not clean. We have since stayed in the Salt Hill Hotel, got a good offer, it was a similar price, we got a super breakfast and room, and could use the gym, pool, sauna and Jacuzzi.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the ground floor room at the front door, everyone can see in. Best not to stay in thi...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank LTLTLTLTLTLT
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Tiny rooms, even smaller en suite
Squeaky beds, and if you are unlucky enough to sleep to the rear of the building a 24hrbsecurity light that fills your entire room with light and stops you sleeping, to top it all off, they don't do a cooked breakfast so you are paying €6 extra for some toast and cereal, their photos are deceptive and the showers are awful. You could do so much better.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Alice R
Reviewed October 16, 2013

No room to swing a cat. Met by guy who was weird and very quickly asked for payment (i understand why now) - place was very noisy as walls were made of paper. We had a room at the back. Bed was broken and not made properly. DIY was full of bodge jobs. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank gooielouis
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here 28 June 2013. Our room overlooked the front driveway, and gave a beautiful view of all the B&Bs across the street. I don't know how they manage to park so many cars in the tiny front yard. We were travelling by train, so it didn't matter to us, but I wondered what would happen if the inmost car belonged to the people who had to leave earliest in the morning.

The room was pretty small, but I found that to be true almost everywhere in Ireland, except at the Lombard in Dublin. I think it's because over the last twenty years every B&B in the country has retrofitted bathrooms into the bedrooms so they can advertise that the facilities are en suite. I don't know what I would do in a large room anyway. Probably just strew my belongings over a wider area, which makes it more difficult to pack in the morning.

As well as being small, our room at the Amber was bright and clean. The shower would not shut off, though, and the staff had to summon the owner to fix it, for the third time this week, while we went out to dinner at Aniar.

College Street is an easy walk to the downtown area, through a respectable neighborhood and a large park.There is a monument at the far end of the park, the plaque of which has a spelling error immortalized in brass. Be sure to have hot chocolate at Butler's on William Street, half a block from the park.

My daughter accidentally left something behind in the room, and the B&B staff mailed it to us as though it were no trouble at all. I would stay here again if I ever have the opportunity to return to Galway.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the main building on the street. The clerks told me about the other building in th...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Paul met us at the door after 9pm, when most of the other B&B's on the street turned us away with their "NO vacancy" signs. We were alarmed - why does this one still have rooms? Apparently it had one family room. We're just the two of us, honeymooning, following the wind and the open road. We checked the room out and it was to our liking! We took it - two nights.

The lodge has plenty of rooms and we were in the attic with a lovely skylight and lots of privacy. The room was immaculate and the service was great. We were able to use their laundry room for a measly 3 Euros (at a previous hotel it was so expensive to do laundry we just bought more socks and undies!), including dryer!

Breakfast was a light, cold buffet, which was a relief after days of eggs, sausages and bacon. We're not used to this amount of meat in the morning.

We were less than 10 minutes from the heart of Galway and even after we checked out, the staff let us keep our car in their car park as long as we needed.

It's a good place for a great price and in a great location.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed the attic room! :)
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Easy walk from bus station. Room and bathroom are small, but clean. Electric kettle and coffee/ tea available in room. Located on busy street so ask for room in back. Breakfast not included, it costs 6 euros for continental breakfast. Grocery market located in short walk. Tourist information office and hop on/off bus (8 euros) located within easy walk. Can walk to shopping area. Friendly hosts

Room Tip: Ask for room in back to be off busy street
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple