“Great stay”

Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Ayrshire
“Great stay”
Reviewed September 23, 2008

Great 7 night stay. Spacious room. Good buffet breakfast. Friendly staff, and always someone at reception. Would recommend this hotel. Plenty of parking spaces. Only drawback would be if you wanted to be doing a pub crawl or whatever in Galway because this hotel is in the suburbs on Dublin Road. Only a 15min walk really into town. And there is a bus service which stops outside the hotel. Free internet access (which was of a good signal strength) was a bonus. Try and ask for a front-facing room. Not much to view to the rear, but hey is that not the case with most hotels?

• Liked — Spacious room
  • Disliked — Bar closing with shutters drawn immediately.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank ardeer1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Polish first
Dinas Powys
Reviewed September 15, 2008

Myself and 3 friends stayed at Flannery's from 7th to 11th September to attend the 3 day horse racing meeting at Galway (sadly abandoned for second & third day).
The hotel is ideally situated on the outskirts of Galway town within easy bus route for the civic centre and the racetrack. Buses go to each venue from outside of the hotel every 15 minutes at a reasonable cost of 1.45 euros.
The hotel was found to be clean, comfortable and had good staff.
Breakfast tended to be crowded when buses arrived with trippers, but this was overcome by attending breakfast at a later time.
The rooms were larger than average with views over the local area and the sea.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Crowded at breakfast when bus arrived with trippers
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank CommanderDinasPowys
sligo
Reviewed August 18, 2008

I have just returned from a three night weekend break in galway city and i felt i must write a review on the best western flannerys hotel. Everything from start to finish was top class. We checked in late on friday night after a hard day in the office and although the restaurant & bar had stopped doing food the nice receptionist offered us a chocie of sandwiches & tea &delivered to our room. It was much appreciated after our hard drive.

We popped down to the bar after a quick shower and bite and there was a live band playing in the bar - the crack was great and it was nice way to unwind - there is a lovely outdoor covered area to the side of the bar which was very handy.

We ordered room service for breakfast the next morning as we wanted a lie in and this arrived both hot and on time which was a first - generally the breakfast is always cold whwn you get room service at other hotels that i have stayed in so it was a lovely treat.

We spent most of saturday afternoon shopping and we ate in town but we booked to eat dinner in the restaurant on Sunday Night.

What a treat - we ordered from the a la carte menu, the food was out of this world. I had the steak which was prefectly cooked medium and it came with fresh veg & potatoes including garlic ones that are my faourite.

My bofreind had the monkfish whcih he said was the nicest he had ever tasted.

The room was beautiful and the beds were so comfortable.

I really have to comment on was the friendliess of the staff, each onefriendlier than the other - reception to bar to restaurant to management, when we were leaving the guy in the lift offered to take my suitcases for me - without
even asking - 10/10 for customer.

I will defo be returning and thanks to all - I recommend this hotel 100%

• Liked — STAFF & FOOD
  • Disliked — NOTHING
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank karann84
Lisle, Illinois
Reviewed August 18, 2008

My husband and I recently had a wonderful trip to Scotland and Ireland. Our last stop on the two week trip was two nights at the Best Western in Galway Ireland. The Galway Races were in town resulting in higher than normal hotel prices and hoards of people of all ages. For an average of $300 dollars a night we were able to get a room at the Best Western—about a 20 minute walk to city center.

Upon our arrival at the hotel we were greeted by friendly folks at the reception counter and a nicely kept lobby—simple but nice—what I would expect from a Best Western. However, the room we were given was an olfactory disaster. The hotel is a bit older and has an “older” smell about it but the room was just awful. The fact that the bathroom was the size of an armoire and smelled of mold… fine; the bedspreads, while dated, fine; the cramped size of the room, fine; the fact that the towels are balancing on a bar next the toilet paper resulting in them falling into the toilet, fine. The room was dingy and unclean. I’m not sure if the carpets were old, the mattresses were past their prime, or someone had previously heaved on my pillow and the floor, but it was a smell we couldn’t sleep with. At first I thought it was just me being over-sensitive to the musty smell of old pillows, but when my husband (who’s not critical enough about some smells) said something about the stench of the pillow I knew it was bad. We threw the pillows in the hall and used the other two provided, but the smell persisted; it was lurking elsewhere within the room.

We are not a high-maintenance couple, we aren’t demanding or looking for luxury—just a clean bed and shower.

I was so disappointed with the cleanliness and overall maintenance of the room. It was stuffy and dated and sickening. For being our last hotel on a wonderful trip, we were very diappointed. We slept with our heads where our feet should have been for two nights; still miserable. I wouldn’t have paid $50 for that room let alone $300—a three star hotel, are you kidding me!? I also wondered if all the other guests of older age and dressed to the nines were given a similar-type room. Or were we the young couple tucked away in the “rowdy” corridor. Given the widely mixed reviews, I’m guessing there are drastic variations on the rooms and the price you pay isn’t the only determining factor on which room you get. I’ve never been so grossed out.

We left a comment card with the reception desk—not sure that will do anything so thought we’d write as well. I felt cheated. The rooms aren’t anything like the pictures on the site—not the one we were in, anyway. And the service and facilities weren’t anything like what we would expect from a Best Western. Very disappointing. No way a three star hotel--worse than some roadside motels in The States!

• Liked — The staff was helpful when asked questions, the bar, while tired was open late and convenient, free breakfast.
  • Disliked — Most everything else was awful. The room and hotel was dirty in a deep down dirty kind of way. Tired and overall gross.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank HennyGal
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 18, 2008

PLUS Points - Room had fast FREE wireless internet which was a plus. Breakfast was decent and good and dont know what others are complaining about. Staff friendly and helpful.

GRUMBLE - The room on third floor was small for a double room and therefore they could not keep a chair to sit on in the room. Carpet needs some thorough cleaning (with Galway rains). Bathroom decent. Good if you want a room to sleep and freshen and explore Galway in the daytime.

City access- Good place to stay if you have your own car - ample parking space. Easy to get in and out of city with your own car.

• Liked — free internet access, decent breakfast
  • Disliked — small room size
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank CrickoMerchant
Switzerland
Reviewed August 4, 2008

I booked several rooms for my family visiting to attend the Festival in July. When asked, none of the staff had any real information on Festival activities. Key problem, besides the lousy breakfast buffet, was the danger presented with the water temp. in the showers. Both rooms, at different times of day, suffered extreme temp differences when running the showers without contact with the faucets. Believe me, the sudden rush of hot water was intense. When making the complaint at the front desk, I was treated as a moron. No question,- management had decided to trade off customer complaints against the cost of repairs. My advice, if you select this hotel, be quick on your feet when showering and be careful with young children or with anyone with physical limitations.

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank TourismProfessor
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 29, 2008

Second time stayin here, and the last. Rooms need a facelift. Staff not very friendly. Breakfast was terrible too. Its also a pain getting taxis into the city. You'll get a nice hotel in Eyre Square in the city centre for the same price.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Breakfast
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends