“Well looked after”

Flannery's Hotel Galway
Ranked #20 of 45 Hotels in Galway
“Well looked after”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I had a late trip to Galway and spotted this hotel on my way into the city, stopped off and have to say the reception staff were excellent and I had my room in a matter of minutes. Very comfortable room, clean and fresh. Bar food was excellent as was the breakfast next morning. Bar was comfortable and perfect for unwinding although a bit quite. What was so nice also, was any member of staff you passed had a hello for you and it made such a difference. Will stay again and recommend it also. The only minus was there was no pool, but I can live with that. Price very competetive also.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
SiobhanFarragher, General Manager at Flannery's Hotel Galway, responded to this review, May 3, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for "Well looked After" review and for taking the time to write your lovely review on our hotel. We were so delighted to receive your very positive trip advisor review of our hotel. Thank you so much for your most kind comments of our barfood, breakfast and staff, I have passed on your feedback all the entire team were so proud to receive the very kind and positive feedback. I do hope that we once again have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel and I thank you so much for your most valued custom. Kind regards, Siobhan Farragher, General Manager, Flannery's Hotel Galway.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We just stayed here when looking for a cheap hotel whilst road tripping round Ireland. The location was fine as we had a car and drive into town as well as the rooms. Very clean, new carpet and a pretty good view of the sea too. The staff are very friendly and although the front looks a little run down inside is great. The bar was packed with people and the food smelt amazing.

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest, I wish to thank you so much for your most valued custom and for writing such a great review in relation to your recent stay at our hotel. We work very hard to ensure that the service and facilities that we provide to each of our guests is to the highest possible standard and it is always fantastic to receive such positive customer feedback and see that all our hard work is paying off. I do hope to welcome you back to our hotel at some stage in the future where we will be delighted to once again be of service to you and your husband. Once again my sincere thanks for your most valued custom and we hope you see very soon. Kind regards, Siobhan Farragher, General Manager, Flannery's Hotel Galway.
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We will have no problem staying here again when we go back to galway. Staff and everything about the place was FIRST CLASS Thanks to all who made our stay very wecolming.everything about it was great, tooo much food and guiness was pefect

• Stayed April 2013
Review collected in partnership with clever-hotels.com

Dear Guest, Thank you so most for posting your wonderful review that you entitled "FAB" It does our hearts proud to receive such excellent feedback about our service and hotel facilities and to know that all our hard work is paying off and that our guests are receiving the high level of customer service that we endeavour to provide at all times. I was also delighted to read that you enjoyed your dining experience with us and that you found Guinness good too!. I look forward to having the opportunity of welcoming you back to our hotel at some date in the future and I thank you for your most valued custom. Kind regards, Ms. Siobhan Farragher, General Manager, Flannery's Hotel Galway.
Sydney
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

Very good room rate.
Very helpful and friendly staff.
First room Had wind noise so a quick change with no fuss.
Excellent food available in bar with a good selection not normally found in Ireland.
Parking available a real plus in Galway.

Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you so much for your lovely trip advisor review entitled "Excellent Valuet” I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your recent stay and I thank you for all your kind comments on our hotel. I do hope that you will come to stay at our hotel at some point in the future and from all the team here at Flannery’s Hotel Galway we thank you so very much for you most valued custom. Kind regards, Siobhan Farragher, General Manager, Flannery's Hotel Galway.
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Nice clean hotel, decor is a bit dated but the room rate is good. I have stayed here several times in the past. It is convenient to Galway city & a good base for touring in the West. Ample parking.
The only problem I encountered was my last visit, I ordered the "Joint of the day" which was stuffed lamb - I got one very thin slice of lamb - it was very like it was cut on a slicer it was so thin, (but I hasten to add that I was assured it was not) so I have to take that as the truth. The stuffing was cold - but tasty. When I brought it to the attention of the staff, I was approached by a gentleman who asked if I had a complaint, I explained what I thought of the quality & quantify of the lamb, and asked him what he would expect when ordering a roast dinner. He went off into the kitchen, came back to me while I was eating my desert asking if he was disturbing me...hello...I am eating...of course you are not disturbing me!!! He then went on to state that he had checked two other portions of lamb in the oven which were being served to other guests, and they were 2 slices of lamb with stuffing of acceptable thickness and quantity - so he was, to my mind implying that I was lying about my meal. The bill arrived and the price had been reduced to €7 for the main course - I paid the full price since my issue was not with the price but rather with the quantity. Vegetables were good as was the desert, I just felt that the problem was not handled in a professional manner, the gentleman did not give his name or position.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Teresa G
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your lovely review in relation to your recent stay at our hotel. I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay. I take note on your comments in relation to the meal that you had in our bar. I apologise if you felt that the situation was not handled appropriately by our manager on duty on the evening in question. I have spoken to him and he has explained that all he was attempting to do was resolve the situation to a satisfactory conclusion for you. I do hope that you will come to stay at our hotel at some point in the future and from all the team here at Flannery’s Hotel Galway we thank you so very much for you most valued custom. Kind regards, Siobhan Farragher, General Manager, Flannery's Hotel Galway.
Brighouse, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2013

was recommended this hotel by a customer I was working at, was rather dissapionted when I arrived in my room. very dated furnishings including the tv which was by the looks of it nearly as old as me ! hotel has free wifi but its very slow was unable to watch a movie on my sky go was buffering every 5 seconds.
staff were great though and the food was also good a bit pricey but everywhere is in Ireland now
on the whole it wasn't a bad hotel just needs updating but for £58 a night for a double room with breakfast you cant expect the Ritz! so if you want lavish fixtures and fittings don't come here but if you want a decent clean hotel with good food and good staff then this is the place to come

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Lee J
Dear Guest,

I thank you for completing the trip advisor in relation to your recent stay at Flannery's Hotel Galway.

It seems you appeared to be displeased on the service and quality some areas of our hotel. We work very hard to ensure that the service and facilities that we provide to each of our guests is to the highest possible standard I do apologise to you that you felt what we were offering was only average.

I thank you for the lovely positive in relation to our staff and they are always delighted to be told that they are providing a good service

I thank you so much for your most valued custom and I do hope to welcome you back to our hotel at some time in the future.

Kind regards, Siobhan Farragher, General Manager, Flannery's Hotel Galway.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

My wife and I first stayed in Flannery's two weeks ago when our son was admitted to hospital for a tonsillectomy and was kept in overnight. I found on that occasion that the staff were so friendly and the food was so nice that when our son had to come back up the following week for another overnighter, we had no hesitation in calling Flannery's again. It was a Friday and I first asked if there were any rooms available - There were. Then I asked if I could avail of the same excellent rate as I received the previous week (€49 room only) thinking that I was really chancing my arm being a Friday, yet to my delight, the receptionist agreed! Fantastic! I told her we would be checking in late but hoped to get there before 9 to avail of the excellent Thai Green Curry I had in the bar the previous week - No problem.
Upon checking in, my wife asked what floor we were on and voiced her concern when told we were on the 4th floor due to her fear of elevators. However, the stairs were only a minor inconvenience to her after the receptionist told us that she had given us a suite! After the week we had we could have jumped over the counter and kissed her!
The suite was fantastic. A balcony overlooked Galway bay in the distance and Galwegians rugby pitch to the side where I watched a training session in the evening sun for a while. The bed was huge and very comfortable. My only disappointment was that we were only staying 1 night! Breakfast the next morning was great and we had loads to choose from, all for only €6.50 each! (I've been charged double that for terrible breakfasts elsewhere in the past) This really set up our day and as we checked out I told Sharon on reception that whenever I have to stay in Galway again I will not be staying anywhere else.
To sum up, the staff are so friendly and make you feel at home, the food is delicious, and the prices are so good considering the handy location of the hotel. Don't get me wrong, it's not a 5 star hotel, the decor is a little dated and from the outside you wouldn't think much, but trust me, stay here just 1 night and you will overlook any minor flaws and find the true charm of a real Irish hotel. I've stayed in many other supposedly higher grade hotels which wouldn't come even close to the hospitality of Flannery's.

(I know this review sounds over the top but I find good customer service to be the cornerstone of any successful business and when I find a business doing it very well, I feel they deserve the praise)

Room Tip: I'd say try and get a suite but then there'd be none available when I want one! ;)