“Fantastic value”

Ranked #43 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Galway
“Fantastic value”
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Lovely room, fantastic value. Small but beautifully decorated bedroom. Good quality bed linen and spotless bathroom with a great shower. Breakfast is not included but had a lovely walk on Salthill promenade followed by breakfast in nearby Gourmet Tart Company

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Glastonbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was one of the best experiences ever - beautiful decor, incredible to have the bath in the room, such a comfy bed, gorgeous soft linens and fluffy towels (-: And such a total bargain. Tomas, who runs it, is wonderfully warm. welcoming, engaging and knowledgeable, and especially appreciated for all the most important kinds of tips, such as which is the best croissant to choose at the outrageously divine Gourmet Tart Company a few doors along (Chocolate and Almond).

No problems at all with outside noise for us. Room 10 to be recommended.

Galway Bay is magical, and staying here gave such added sparkle...and has inspired me to write my first ever tripadvisor review (-:

Room Tip: For a romantic hideaway - Room 10!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Western Ireland, Ireland
Reviewed October 6, 2013

This place is not really a hotel, much more accurate to say a b and b.

The rooms are very small but nice and clean. The lad who showed me the room was very friendly and courteous.

The shower was excellent.

There is no foyer or bar in this hotel, not even a reception area,just the small room.

Its located in a good area, but my room appeared to be above a busy bar. Clientele were singing outside uuntil 1 A.M._

• Stayed October 2013
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Booked this hotel as a treat before going away for work and was very much looking forward to it. However, when we arrived to check in Tomas, the duty manager was unable to find our booking in his records. I showed him the email confirmation of booking and we were then left to stand outside while he "looked in to the matter." Eventually he came to us to tell us they were overbooked but that there was a free space in a B&B "down the road." No explanation was given to us as to how it happened beyond telling us a group had just been checked in.
Tomas went from being mildly rude and bored of us to extremely rude and eager for us to get out his sight when we sought further explanation and said that we wouldn't be happy to take the B&B alternative as we had specifically wanted to stay in a hotel and he was offering us no information about the B&B except that it was a few minutes walk down the road. When I asked to speak to a manager he informed me he was the manager and I could speak to him. He mentioned that the owner was called Mike McGrath but declined to provide contact details having told us he was not on the premises at the time. At one point, he actually shrugged his shoulders at us and said "well what do you want me to do? tell the other people to leave?" Well no, what we actually would have liked you to do, at a minimum, was be a little bit polite and apologetic. Losing the booking is bad enough but understanable but being outright rude and totally unapologetic is another. This whole conversation took place while we were still standing with our bags on the street outside the hotel which added to the gobsmackingly shambolic nature of the situation.
We gave up on getting any sort of decent communication from the charming Tomas and were luckily able to get a last minute booking elsewhere though at nearly twice the price.
I've since unsuccesfully tried to contact the hotel. When I called the number for the Hotel itself I was told (very politely and helpfuly, thanks!) that number doesn't cover the Praire House anymore and it might be best to try the phone number of the Black Cat restaurant below the hotel. I called the Black Cat and was told (pretty rudely) that they didn't have anything to do with the hotel. The lady who answered the phone initially tried to cut me off and hang up when I asked would she be able to share contact details of the person I should speak to. Eventually she said she did actually know who runs the hotel that it was the Mike Mc Grath mentioned by Tomas when we tried to check in but didn't know how I would contact him.

Completely baffling. Have given up on getting any kind of communication much less resolution from them.

Room Tip: go somewhere else
Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NoCountry4MadWomen

Travelers are raving about these Galway hotels

galway
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Spotless hotel in an ideal location but rooms far too small. Can barely walk around the bed and hardly any space for luggage. A pity they didn't reduce the number of rooms and add a little more space to the rooms.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank martinronan
Savion
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The hotel rooms seems renewed and are clean and bed was comfortable. No elevator and no space for the suitcase.
The bath is in the room itself and when finished shower, it felt like Turkish bath or sauna.
The owner was nice- even called to ask when we'll arrive and directed us to the parking, around 150 meters from the hotel..
Breakfast is not included, but you can "enjoy" the noise from the restaurant below till 1:30 AM.
I assume that for 130 euros a-night we could find better place to stay, inside Galway and closer to the center.

Room Tip: see it all (only 4 are available) and choose.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Nimrod L
Harwich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2013

after booking a double and a twin room, we arrived and we where given 2 double rooms, the rooms where that small that we couldn't even get our small suitcases in the room, the owner was rude and told me to shut up..... when I told him I wasn't happy with the rooms. we didn't stay that night, found an amazing hotel in galway city centre. I wouldn't advise staying in this hotel if you cant manage stairs as they are small steps and narrow, im a 27 year old fit male and I struggled

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family