“Central, cosy with character”

Cookes Restaurant & Wine Bar
Ranked #50 of 484 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
entebbe
“Central, cosy with character”
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We had an early bird menu which was pretty good and was excellent value. The restaurant is very cosy: we were there before Christmas and it was very festive with lots of red candles and "snow" on the window panes. It could be heated a little more especially during a cold snap. The food was well cooked and the portions were a proper size. The staff were attentive and the one gripe I have is that every single one of them answered No Problem when asked for pepper or water or whatever. Why not Of Course or With Pleasure. But it was a good experience and we plan to return.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank EntebbeEastafrican

Galway, Ireland
“Felt neglected!”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

My husband I went to Cookes with two friends of ours last Saturday night and I have to say I was really disappointed with everything...We waited at least 40 mins for our starter which, (when we got it), was mediocre. I had an enormous dry fish cake and my husbands prawns were bland and hadn't been de-veined. We then must have been waiting at least 1 hour for the main course. We were having a good time with our friends but 1 hour is unacceptable. The place was packed and they had a number of large parties upstairs which were obviously getting priority. On my way to the ladies I mentioned to one of the staff that we had been waiting for ages and within about 5 minutes our mains were out and they gave us a round of drinks on the house which was fair enough. Overall, the food wasn't great (I'd expected a much higher standard), staff were nice but I'd say there weren't enough on that night, the place itself is lovely in terms of ambience and decor but I wont be returning...

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank carrie41
Galway, Ireland
“friendly staff”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I have eaten in cookes many time and I must say the last meal I had was the wonderful, their dessert are delicious. The main reasons why I go back nearly every time I eat out is because of the staff they are very friendly, the waiter always ensure that very thing is satisfactory with our meal. I recommend it for anybody looking for a nice meal which is not too expensive.

• Visited March 2013
4 Thank jennifer20091992
Nigel F, Restaurant Supervisor at Cookes Restaurant & Wine Bar, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. We are glad that you enjoyed your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to our restaurant in the near future.
Regards,
Nigel Feely,
Restaurant Supervisor
“Top class waiter and waitress.”
Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Ate here on Good Friday. Group of 4 people and the service couldn't have been better. Great craic and great food too. Owing to some local loophole we also got served wine. We stayed on drinking there till about 1am ,way beyond normal closing time but the staff waited with us, had a drink and were really cool about everything. Have been here a few times under previous owners but if anything it's gotten even better than it was.

• Visited April 2013
4 Thank CathalB84
tipsy1997, Manager at Cookes Restaurant & Wine Bar, responded to this review, April 13, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at Cookes Restaurant. I will let the staff know who were working that night that you were impressed. We looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Regards,
Nigel Feely
Restaurant Supervisor
“Perfect dining experience!”
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Everything was great. The food. Wine. Atmosphere. Price.
The staff were a joy.
Perfect evening for two. We will definitely return.

3 Thank hazeloco