“Enjoyed our stay”

Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Limerick
“Enjoyed our stay”
Reviewed February 20, 2009

My parter and I stayed in the Radisson for the 2nd time last weekend. As it was valentines we were prepared for long check in / out queues. The room was lovely but not as nice as the one we stayed in last time. This time there was a strong smell of lemon air freshner trying to cover up the smell of stale smoke, the window was left wide open to clear it so it was fairly cold when we arrived, not really the hotels fault I suppose. We had treatments booked in the Spirit One Spa which were fantastic, the hydration room is amazing. The pool and outdoor heated hot tub were really lovely also it was dark out so was fantastic to lie back in the hot tub and gaze up and the stars! We didn't eat in the hotel apart from the breakfast which was very tasty. The furniture is a little dated and our room looked a little old fashioned but overall we really enjoyed our stay and will definately be back, if for the spa only.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
Surrey
Reviewed January 28, 2009

This was a weekend away for my girlfriends birthday (JULY 2007 so things may have changed) and I choose a Level 5 Executive room, which we found was spacious, clean, well furnished and had a fanatastic sound & vision system. The view was as good as the hotel could have over the Lough Atalia, these rooms either have a city view or the one i choose. It also had a table & two chairs on a narrow but long balcony should one wish to sit out. The bathroom was good, but I would have preferred a large, two person shower rather than a large spa bath, but thats my preference. This Level 5 room came with use of a communial lounge and an assistant who we utilised to book taxi's, restuarants and so forth.
My girlfriend utilised the Spa One treatments (massage & facial on day one, with manicure & pedicure on day two), she reported that these were as good as she's had in other hotels around the world.
we dined in the Marinas Restaurant on the first evening, and we were lucky enough to have prebooked a table in the window with another view across the Lough Atalia. This meal was fabulous, well cooked and superbly presented, the Irish fillet steak was devine. It was finished with a surprise birthday cake which I had not requested, but my girlfriend was overjoyed with. A nice touch.
Overall this is a chain hotel, that we felt provided a general service to all, rather than an individual one, is well positioned for a short walk into central Galway and I recommend it.

• Liked — The spacious room with a great view
  • Disliked — Thought the bar are could be more comfortable rather than open plan off the reception
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mpw246pl
Reviewed January 21, 2009

Myself and my fiance stayed here for two nights between Christmas and New Years. We were aware of bad reviews relating to service but I had stayed in the hotel previously and thought it was ok so we said we decided to book it. I have to mention though when I stayed before I did not eat in the restaurant or bar.

The hotel itself is lovely and is in such a great location. We had treatments booked in the spa and it was a very enjoyable experience; staff were very friendly and treatments were great.

We booked a meal in the restaurant for the first night and the whole experience from beginning to end was totally unacceptable. The service was atrocious, staff unfriendly and it took over 2 and a half hours to complete our meal (the restaurant wasn't even half full). For example our mains didn't arrive for over an hour after we finished our starters. Personally I don't like complaining but I did and this didn't even have much of an effect, the excuse was that the kitchen was very busy with orders from the bar. When the food arrived it was cold. There was no point in complaining about this as it would have taken so long to get it fixed. The staff were avoiding customers in the restaurant as everybody was complaining! One table of 6 people behind us started clapping when they finally received their food. If the staff had even told their customers that there will be a delay with the food it wouldn't have been so bad.

It was the same story in the bar the next night, bad service and extremely bad attitude to say the least. We mentioned this to the manager on checking out and he apologised and gave a discount but I can't help but wonder if they intend to do anything to improve their service as there are so many bad reviews about it on tripadvisor.

This hotel in a great location and I would recommend it for that but I would advise you NOT to eat in it, it is both a waste of time and money.

• Liked — The spa and location
  • Disliked — Service
3 Thank IrelandMeath
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed January 5, 2009

I stayed here in December for a 2 night package including 1 evening meal. It is definately not value for money & completely OVER-RATED!!!! The only good point is location. The food is TERRIBLE!!! Breakfast was a disaster, food was cold & we were waiting 10 minutes for a cup of tea. Dinner wasn't much better, the service was slow & our waitress never came back to top up our wine. What I ordered & what I received were 2 completely different things. I would definately not recommend staying here on a visit to Galway

Providenciales
Reviewed January 4, 2009

We stayed in the 2 bedroomed apartment between Christmas and the New Year and were delighted with our stay. If you can, request an apartment with a view. The two bed duplex is very spacious, and very adequate kitchen, dining facilities. The Radisson is in an excellent location. Within walking distance of city centre. The pool is fantastic for kids and changing rooms very comfortable. The hotel has a very relaxed feel to it, so suits children and adults alike. The service was a little slow during this time, but for me this isn't a problem. It was very busy as it's so popular so a short wait isn't a problem to me. Would recommend to families with kids, but don't get the impression this is just for families. Its very cool too.

• Liked — size of apartment, location of hotel
  • Disliked — service a little slow
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Stayed here for two nights over New Years (attended the NYE ball) and was very disappointed with the service, room and value for money. Let me first say that ALL the foreign employees working in the hotel were wonderful..helpful, courteous and polite. However, the same cannot be said for the Irish members of staff, which I'm sorry to say is a sad example of how the Celtic Tiger has changed this country.

Rooms were small and were by no means 4 star standard. The lobby (where the drinks reception was held) was cold, as was the lobby bar, and we had to queue for our champagne. We were a party of five and one of the rooms was not available until 4:30pm on the day of arrival.

I get the impression that the hotel is severely understaffed and quiet a few of the staff are temporary, college students with very little experience. Took 15 minutes to order a toasted sandwich at the bar, 30 minutes for it to arrive and it was served stone cold. Location is great, but there are so many other hotels to choose from in the same location that don't charge over 200 euro a night for the room.

• Liked — The foreign members of staff who were very helpful.
  • Disliked — The two Irish members of staff I had the misfortune to come into contact with. Cranky and unpleasant.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank 80schic2016
Reviewed January 1, 2009

This hotel is a 5 minute walk from the town centre and 200 meters from the bus / train station. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. It is a little pricey maybe but you get what you pay for. The room was of good size, clean and well equipped / furnished. We stayed on Saturday 20th and Sunday 21st of December 2008. Price for 2 nights was €310. The staff were all very polite and helpful. The breakfast was more than copious. We did not dine in the restaurant so cannot comment.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)