“Great staff, great rooms, great food”

Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway
Ranked #15 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Bangor, Northern Ireland
“Great staff, great rooms, great food”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We had booked a room in a different hotel but it was so awful we had to leave and we came to the Radisson.

The staff were welcoming from the minute we arrived. We got a room on the 4th floor and were happy to see the size and quality of it. The bathroom was also a great size with a good powerful shower.

We had dinner in the bar on more than one occasion. The staff were attentive and the food was great quality, tasty and not too expensive. The cocktails were also great!!

On the Saturday night that we were there a bar man took our order and was very friendly and actually recommended a drink for us that we never would have tried but it was really tasty.

The one downfall was the pillows, they just werent comfortable but I know this is completely personal preference.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RadissonHotel G, Social Media Executive at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review.

I am thrilled to hear that you had a nice stay with us and hope that you will now choose the Radisson Blu for every trip you make to Galway.

For your next stay, please let us know on check in of your pillow preference and we would be delighted to offer you an alternative.

Sarah O Mahony

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We have stayed at the Radisson Blu a number of times of the years and tend to find it is a perfectly adequate, typical Radisson Blu hotel, if a little underwhelming. However it is always nice to stay somewhere with a pool and gym and Galway options are limited.

However on this last trip, we discovered the family apartments and delighted we did. So this review is really about the family apartments. These apartments are located in a different building, over the road from the main hotel. They are duplex, 2 bedroom apartments with a kitchen and living room that basically look and are feel like apartments that were probably meant to have been sold in Ireland's housing boom in 2006/07 and have now been converted by the hotel. So you are not in the main hotel building (which has pluses and minuses) but you can use all the hotel facilities.

Good:
- My wife and I not spending a hotel night with the entire family all in one room, sat in the dark watching a movie on the ipad at 8pm, trying to keep as quiet as possible, as our 4 year old and 1 year old sleep in the same room.
- A small kitchen, with microwave, fridge, cooker etc. So didn't have to go through the usual hassle of figuring out how we re-arranged a hotel mini-bar to fit in the kids milk and other snacks.
- Cheaper than 2 inter-connecting rooms in the main hotel.

Not so great:
- The decor is showing signs of wear and tear and it not to the same standard as the rest of the hotel - it looks very much like show furniture when you try and sell a new build apartment.
- 325 euros a night for B&B. Albeit we went during the Galway Oyster Festival so probably cheaper at other times.

So overall, the family apartments are recommended and we will be using them again.

As an aside, the Galway Oyster Festival - vastly overhyped!

Room Tip: Family apartments for... families
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to write this informative review. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay in our apartments. They really are a nice alternative both for Families and for guests who are staying for a long period.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to the hotel very soon.

Best wishes,

Appleton, Wisconsin
Reviewed October 14, 2013

My has and and I stayed at the Radisson Blu in late September 2013. My husband spent 6 weeks in the UK and this was part of our "couple time" at the end of his trip. We'd slept on some awfully hard, lumpy beds the previous two weeks and were pleasantly surprised by the size of the king bed (stemmed larger than our king bed at home) as well as the comfort of it. We both slept very well!! I loved the scent of the bathroom toiletries and we both loved the bread served at the buffet breakfast.it was the best bread I have ever eaten!! I wish I'd asked what type of bread it was because I'm on a mission to make it. It was a crusty white bread (some type of sourdough?). If anyone at the hotel can tell me what the breads served are I'd appreciate it - thanks!

Room Tip: Higher floor had a great view and was quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind review. I believe our Restaurant Manager has been in contact to tell you about the many bread choices available on our Super Buffet Breakfast. I hope that you have figured out which one was your favourite and hope that you will be back to sample more of what the Radisson Blu, Galway has to offer very soon.

Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I got the feeling immediately upon my arrival that the styling was a bit cold and austere though light and airy in the public (lots of glass, marble and porcelain) areas and that impression kept with me throughout my three night stay.

The room was good and also quiet so got some good sleep and the bed was very comfortable

Parking was very convenient in the underground garage with access to lifts which take you to reception.

Ideal for a business trip, but I'm not sure I'd want to stay there with my family.........

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the building (sea view) above reception, otherwise you could be on the far side in...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Alex G
RadissonHotel G, Social Media Executive at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed our comfortable beds. We always like to hear that our guests are well rested when they are leaving us.

While we do cater for many corporate guests, we also strive to be a family friendly hotel offering many children's activities such as Kids Zumba, bouncing castles and very soon Halloween Cupcake and Biscuit Decoration.

We also have a fantastic leisure center with a pool that is suitable for the kids.

I hope that you will make a return visit with the family and take part in some of these activities.

Dublin
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stayed in this hotel with my husband for 2 nights. We decided to treat ourselves and booked a business class room. We should have saved the money and stayed at home. This is the only hotel where I have stayed and felt like we were an inconvenience to the staff who worked there.

On arrival at the hotel, the car park was full. When I asked where we should park, the receptionist pointed to a car park across the road, without lifting her eyes from the computer screen, and said "couch carpark". Having finally parked the car we found ourselves with all our bags in a bus station with no signage to indicate the way to the hotel. A kind lady in the station showed us that we had to go up a hill and around a corner to the hotel,,,not the easiest with all our bags!!

The room was nice. Lots of lighting, some nice furnishings and a view of the lake. The bathroom however was a huge let-down. For the money we paid, I would at least expect a stand-alone shower cubicle. This was not the case. The shower is basically a hose over the bath.

There was a large selection of food available at breakfast which was great. The cold foods such as the fruit, Danish pastries etc. were lovely but the hot food was very disappointing.

Our newspaper, which was supposed to be included with the business class room was not delivered on either morning. When we mentioned it at reception the first morning we were told it had been delivered and they had none left. We had to buy our own paper that morning from the local shop! The second morning we mentioned it again and were told again it had been delivered. When we said that it definitely hadn't as we had checked several times from early morning, the receptionist sighed and retrieved a newspaper from behind the desk. On check-out the same receptionist didn't charge us the €5 parking fee to compensate for this. It really did not make up for being made to feel like a nuisance when asking for something we were entitled to.

I felt this hotel had huge potential but the reception staff let it down badly. The only friendly staff member we encountered was a lady who cleaned our room and she did a wonderful job.

The lack of attention to detail was staggering. It appears like a hotel that is living off its reputation from Celtic Tiger days and the standards have seriously slipped. I would never return and I regret spending hard-earned money on such an over-priced, sub-standard experience.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
RadissonHotel G, Social Media Executive at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time share your recent experience with us. I am so disappointed reading your review as it is clear that we let you down. It is also disappointing that it was a few members of our team that did not provide you with the quality of service that you deserve and that we pride ourselves on.

I appreciate your frustrations and can assure you that I will personally be speaking with the Front Office Manager regarding all of your issues. This is not the level of service we aim to provide to our customers and we apologise that you walked away from your stay disheartened.

I would really like the opportunity to make up for this poor experience. Should you wish to stay with us in future, I would be delighted to look after your booking and can promise you the quality of service you deserve. Please do not hesitate to contact me on the below email address should you wish to make a booking or if you would like to discuss anything further.

Warm Regards,
Sarah O’Mahony
sarah.omahony@radissonblu.com
Huntington, Vermont
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We we were greeted immediately by a helpful staff person. RailTours Ireland booked this hotel as our base for 2 days during our trip to Innismore and Connemara. Location was excellent, around the corner from the train station and a comfortable walk to Galway's shopping and dining area. Restaurant for Irish breakfasts was fine. As pointed out by a separate reviewer, finding no separate facility for the shower was a first as water splashes all over the bathroom and towards the toilet, so you need to be strategic! I do not know the advantage of that kind of approach to a "no shower stall" but it is what it is and we dealt with it with good humor. Would most definitely use this hotel upon return to Galway.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We much appreciate your kind words, thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I hope you enjoyed your trip to the West of Ireland and were able to experience all that Galway has to offer.

Please do not hesitate to contact me personally on your next stay and I will be happy to arrange a lovely room for you.

sarah.omahony@radissonblu.com

Sarah O’Mahony
Marco Island, Florida
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Because my sister and I have been loyalists to another global hotel brand we never stayed at a Radisson before but OMG is that going to change! This one was very very clean, modern, had lighting in the rooms that made it possible to actually see, had super friendly staff, good mattresses, everything you could ask for. We were very impressed by their customer-oriented attitude, the fast wi-fi, and the fact that we could go ahead and set the temperature unreasonably low in our room at night the way we like to do it. They even had high quality toiletries and lots and lots of plugs which can be such a little thing that can make a traveler's life so much easier.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a water view - it's gorgeous at sunrise.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. We are delighted to hear that our guests have had a great stay at the Radisson Blu. I hope that this positive experience will encourage you to try some more of our properties around the world, we have some fabulous properties, in great locations.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Galway very soon and hope that you will be long and loyal guests of the Radisson Blu.