THIS hotel admittedly was bound to struggle, coming as it did as a follow on to the beautiful and unimaginably romantic Adare Manor. However it was the simple things which it got wrong which made the stay here so disappointingly average.
Its location is neither central nor uncomfortably far from Galway's town centre. It lies on the main road into Galway which, when arriving as we did on a Friday evening in November, is prone to congestion. Our room, on the third floor, faced out onto said road and, beyond it, the rather less picturesque part of Galway Bay. Across the water a council estate. This side of the water, a soggy putting green attached to the hotel.
The room is corporate (see picture). It could be anywhere in the world and there is something both comforting and, at the same time uninspiring about that. It was clean, it was well-appointed and it afforded us a luxuriously deep mattress. Points scored all-round. It did, however, sit atop the hotel's smoking area which caused some disturbance in the evening as particularly loud smokers could be heard conversing below.
Where the hotel really fell down was at breakfast and reception. They admitted to being over-subscribed on the weekend during which we were visitors but it was late November on the West Coast of Ireland, a time which can hardly be described as high season. Check-in upon arrival was done after waiting for three couples to check in before us. Admittedly we were slowed by one couple having particularly onerous requests for the receptionist. Check-out, on the other hand, was a disaster. As many as fifty people waited around in the foyer as the reception outright failed to handle this number of people. We ended up checking out 45 minutes after we had arrived with that very intention. Abysmal.
Breakfast was also a travesty with people being turned away from 9.30 a.m. onwards. The breakfast room was large but clearly not large enough to accommodate even a portion of the guests. Cue dirty tables, discarded newspapers and a generally frenetic pace to the breakfast upon arrival - whenever that was. I, like many of the multitude of guests in my party, preferred to grab whatever cold food was available and leave the madness of the breakfast room. When pinching cold food, do avoid the yoghurts - they were unpalatable.
Aside from that, we had an ice machine on the third floor which was faulty for our entire stay, we were aghast at the cost of the hotel for two nights in late November and we were disappointed in the arrival throughout the night of drunken hordes of stag and hen parties.
For those considering parking, do not bring a wide car into the car park. The spaces are ludicrously small and many of the cars in the car park had clear signs of doors being opened onto them or scratches from walls or adjacent cars. Not necessarily from that car park, but it would not be a surprise to see them added to during their stay there.
I would never again consider this hotel when staying in Galway. It ticked some boxes but no more than would a Travelodge, Premier Inn or Ibis. It also failed to live up to an average standard in customer service, provision of breakfast or maintaining a peaceful and relaxing environment.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- You are guaranteed the best of all worlds when you stay at the luxurious four star Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa Galway. Scenic Galway Bay views, luxury city centre hotel accommodation, excellent food, world class spirit one spa & leisure facilities, superb conference & meeting venue and elegant wedding facilities.Take advantage of some of Galway's great shopping streets, making it easy to explore the area's best attractions and fit some shopping in along the way! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, BookAssist, Expedia, Agoda, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Galmont Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Radisson Blu Hotel And Spa, Galway
- Radisson Hotel Galway
- Radisson Galway
- Galway Radisson
- Radisson Blu Hotel Galway
- Radisson Sas Galway