“Solid but bland”

Ranked #15 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Cork, Ireland
“Solid but bland”
Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

Nice room, good location to the city and the breakfast is top notch.
Service is good, and for Galway parking is reasonable at a fiver.
Negatives are the hiking expedition to our room and no hot water this morning!

• Stayed January 2013
Galwayradissonblu, Social Media Executive at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your comments and for taking the time to share your experience with us. I can see from your picture and your comment about the the hike to your room that you were staying in one of our older rooms. You will be glad to know that we are currently in the process of refurbishing these rooms and the whole 4th floor of the hotel. So hopefully the next time you stay with us you will be well impressed.

Looking forward to welcoming back to Galway very soon.
Kind Regards,
Jennifer Duggan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (433)
Dublin
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We have stayed here twice whilst visiting Galway City and on both occasions we have not been dissapointed . The bedrooms are spotless and very comfortable . We ate in the lobby bar on both occasions and the food and service have always been fautless . Breakfast is top notch and the service is generally top class . We loved the outdoor hot tub as the views from it are amazing . The location is ideal ! Its the only palce to stay in Galway City Centre >

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Huge thanks for your fantastic comments. I hope you will be a long and loyal customer of ours. We look forward to welcoming you back to Galway very soon.

Drogheda, Louth
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Me and my girlfriend got a weekend away here as a gift. A very good gift at that. When we arrived the place was busy as there was a wedding going on that day, checked in and the staff were very friendly. Only a 5 minute walk from Eyre square which is handy also, pity about the weather though. Had food from the bar that night, which in our opinion is nicer and cosier than the restaurant. I had the burger but wish I had of got the Beer battered cod and chips, it's the best I've ever tasted.
The room was nice, very comfortable bed. Seemed to be a problem with the window though, the seal around it seemed to be very worn which caused a draft to come into the room. Mind you it was very windy that night so I'd say on any other night it wouldn't be as noticeable.
Was hoping for a great nights sleep in the bed but as I said earlier there was a wedding on. We were on the second floor and could hear the music from the wedding, as if it was only down the hallway. Also the wedding guests were very noisy but this couldn't really be helped by the hotel.
This was the same again the second night except at half 3 and half 5 there was two seperate groups of people outside our door shouting and talking.
I mentioned this to thee receptionist when we were checking out and he seemed to be genuinely sorry and offered to upgrade us if we decide to return.

I will be returning to the hotel as I found the staff to be very friendly, especially in the bar and the rooms were very comfortable. Parking is cheap for a city hotel at €5 a day allowing you to come and go as you please and the location is ideal.
Definitely going to stay for longer next time and try out the spa. Think I'll go during the week though as I doubt there'll be any weddings on!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely comments and our apologies about the noise from the wedding. I am glad our receptionist offered you a complimentary upgrade. I too can confirm free upgrade to Level 5 and also as you mentioned you haven't tried the spa, we will be happy to give you two Thermal Suite passes to spirit one.

Thank you for sharing your comments with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel later this year. Please contact me personally when you are booking.

Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We loved this hotel, had a good pool for the kids. Staff was very friendly. Location is very good, and we had a good time walking down to the city centre. Breakfast was really good.
The bar and the staff there were good too. We had a meal at their restaurant and food was good.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Galwayradissonblu, Social Media Executive at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your lovely comments. We are delighted you were able to enjoy a family break in Galway.

We hope you will all come back and visit us very soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 6, 2013

A friend and I booked last minute break for New Year's Eve. We picked the Radisson because it is central and it has an outdoor hot tub. Our room(standard) was only ok for the price. There was a big a tear on one of the pieces of furniture. There were no bathrobes or sewing kits. It was nice to have ice at the end of the corridor. The guy on the piano in the bar really was out of 'the wedding singer'. He was good at what he does.

The outdoor hot tub is still the best thing about this hotel. However the bubbles were not switched on on new year's morning in either the indoor or outdoor jacuzzi and there was no light in the sauna. There isn't water fountain in the pool area - just at the pool reception so it was not great for a day when lots of people want to get rid of hangovers.

The breakfast had a great selection of teas, juices and smoothies. The fruit selection had yoghurt and coulis to accompany them which is a lovely touch. The scone was nice but my friend's pastries were stale. The hot breakfast items were fine.

There were long queues for checkin and checkout giving the lobby the air of a railway station.
Overall for the star rating there is room for improvement.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay with us. We are very happy you choose to stay with us for New Years and I am sorry if any aspects of the hotel let you down. It sounds like we have some maintenance work to do and thank you for bringing these points to our attention.

We are refurbishing a number of bedrooms, the leisure centre and spa later this year, so I hope you will see a marked improvement on your next stay with us.

Whitegate, Ireland
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Spent a weekend in the Radisson and have to say it was top class. Rooms are spacious and not too hot which is a real bonus. In so many cases the rooms in hotels are so hot but the Radisson was perfect. Breakfast was brilliant and was served until 11am on Saturday and Sunday which was ideal as Galway is a great city and one doesnt get to bed too early!! Staff were a pleasure to deal with and were very pleasant and helpful. The Spa is wonderful and both my husband and myself really enjoyed the Thermal Suite. The location of the hotel is ideal as you are only 5 minutes walk to Eyre Square and approx 10 mins walk into the heart of shop street. Would definitely recommend the Radisson Blu, just one small issue and that is having to pay for parking, I know its only 5 euro per night but at the same time the Radisson is not a cheap hotel to stay in and one would expect free parking, but that is a just a minor glitch in an otherwise top class hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Such wonderful comments, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Although we cannot do anything about the car parking price ( as we do not own the car park), you will be delighted to know that we are refurbishing the Thermal Suite, so it will be even better next time you stay with us!

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Galway very soon.

Kind Regards,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed for 2 nights in this hotel, firstly the hotel is pretty well located about 10 mins walk to city centre. However the hotel charges 5 euro a night to park your car, upon checkout I had to pay 10 euro. I think this is a needless extra charge. The room is pretty pricy all ready without having to pay extra for parking. This hotel does its up most to extract as much money from its guests as possible. We had 1 evening meal there, we were in a bit of a hurry so skipped straight to main course, my partner and I bought ordered fish and chips, 1 still water and 1 pint of carlsberg, the fish and chips were 16 euro each, 5 euro for the pint and 5.80 for the water. Although tasty the portions were very small and both of us needed to eat again before the evening was over, bear in mind all we wanted was a quick bite to eat in the bar the bill came to 42.80 euro, this is way to expensive for what you get. On another note, the rooms are ok, just ok, we had a lamp that kept falling over, pillows are probably the most uncomfortable I have ever had to sleep on and they are well beyond their use by date. Also the wifi in the bedrooms did not work. Overall I would not rate this hotel as 4 star but they definetly charge 4 star rates. I would not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for sharing your recent experience with us. I am very disappointed to read that you were let down by the hotel. I appreciate your frustration with the car parking charge, as we do not own the car park we unfortunately must charge a fee for cars parked overnight.

I am very sorry that you felt let down by our food & beverage experience. We appreciate your comments and I will certainly look at these prices more closely with the Head Chef. It would be great to know what room you were staying in, so we could have the housekeeping team look into the pillows & lamp situation.

Every effort is made to take guests comments on board and I hope that you will not let this experience deter you from staying with us in future. Should you be in Galway, I would love the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel I promise you will be well looked after.

jennifer.duggan@radissonblu.com