“Excellent Restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles

Kai
Ranked #10 of 466 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, European
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States
“Excellent Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2014

The owner of our B&B told us about Kai and it took two days to get a reservation. It was worth the wait. The restaurant is very relaxed, both in it's decoration and the pace of service, something we appreciated. All the dishes we had were flavorful and the portions were generous. I had the Connemara lamb shank which was delicious and included a large portion of well prepared vegetables. If you get to Galway, call immediately for a reservation!

Visited June 2014

East Lansing, Michigan
“Good food and nice atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

We went with friends and it was a nice restaurant and my food was good - although I could not determine what half the menu was without googling so I get the pretentious comments. I enjoyed my hake (first time), but I must say the bread and potatoes served with everyone's meal were better. The best was the dessert - sea salt ice cream and what I can only describe as a rice krispy like bar but with white chocolate instead of marshmellows (highly recommend).

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Galway, Ireland
“Probably the Most Enjoyable Meal I've Ever Had”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2014

We live in Galway and a few weeks ago a group of our friends were visiting us. After hearing some good things about the place, we thought this would be the ideal opportunity to try it out, and we were so delighted that we did. It was excellent in every way.

The food is among some of the nicest I've ever tasted, the décor is cool but not too tryhard, the atmosphere is spot on; chilled and warm at the same time if that's not too much of a contradiction. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable especially the co-owner who was full of information about the food when we asked, but never too in your face or overly attentive while we were having our meal.

The food was suburb, inventive and well thought out. My partner is a vegetarian and for mains she had the courgette flower which, all seven of us meat eaters agreed, was by far the dish of the day.

All in all, not the cheapest of restaurants, but definitely worth it as a bit of a treat. We'll be back when it gets its Michelin Star

• Visited May 2014
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014 via mobile

By far the best place to eat in Galway city. It's not cheap but the atmosphere, service and food are outstanding. Cannot wait to return.

• Visited May 2014
Galway, Ireland
“Quality inventive food in funky surroundings”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2014

Love this place. It's not the kind of place I can afford to visit regularly, but when I do, I don't regret a cent of what I've spent. The food is always delicious and takes me out of my comfort zone (there's always at least one thing I don't recognise on the menu) but it's great to be challenged and to be rewarded for doing so. They've clearly put a bit of thought into the wine list, too. Always found staff to be spot-on. There's always some twonk on here who begrudges spending their money in a place like this, throwing out the usual lazy tags like 'over-priced' and 'pretentious'. If you want every restaurant to serve the same bland, standard dishes at bargain basement prices, good luck to you. I'd rather go out less often and eat something I couldn't churn out myself with my eyes closed.

• Visited December 2013