“Creative, Fresh and Flavorful!”
Review of Kai

Kai
Ranked #21 of 503 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Australian, New Zealand
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 26, 2014

If you are in Galway, you must come here for lunch. I've eaten at several different cafes in the area and Kai has the most flavorful, fresh and creative dishes I've come across so far. After much deliberation, I opted for the barrel aged feta and golden beets salad. It was absolutely lovely, full of greens that tasted as though they were right out of the garden and topped with sundried tomatoes, slices of blood orange which added a burst of color to the already gorgeous dish, and toasted sesame seeds. The light dressing complemented the salad well and the seedy brown bread that was served alongside it was scrumptious. I could have easily eaten half a loaf of this bread on its own, but decided I'd better save some room for the delightful looking selection of cakes.

Although all the desserts looked wonderful, I chose the blood orange and polenta cake, which turned out to be melt-in-your-mouth amazing. Having never tried cake made with polenta before, I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but the texture and caramel-y flavor of this cake when paired with the sweet tang from the blood oranges on top was perfect. I was also able to sample some of the gluten free carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, which was moist, flavorful, not too sweet and just delightful. I can't wait to come back here and try all the other delicious looking items on the menu!

1  Thank mmul21
Write a ReviewReviews (1,006)

Reviewed March 22, 2014

My wife and I had dinner in Kai last night. I've eaten there before, but their menu has got even better since I was last there. They had a super choice of seafood dishes - I had monkfish with mussels while my wife had the Sweaty Betty (terrible name but very tasty fish). You should try their own homemade cheese (as a starter). Service was very friendly and attentive and the place was packed (we were there for the 6.30 sitting).
Better still, it is just a 15 minute stroll from our home.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

Waitress was really rude... Would not go out of her way to help us to try and find something suitable for the child to eat. Could not read the menu board and when my husband ask her to explain the various dishes she laughed !!! Food was good but extremely over priced for what we got. I have eaten here before and the waiter are lovely and will do anything to help us. This is my third time now where the girls were not helpful at all.

7  Thank Caroline B
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I love going to Kai. The food is always delicious. the menu always a surprise. In other words always made from produce in season. But the day I went there and the fish pie was on the menu was an experience. It was such a taste sensation, it was covered in potatoes topped with cheese and the combination of the topping with the fish was just amazing. Yum!!!! Its also unusual surroundings, so different to an ordinary restaurant the word that comes to mind is quirky and I enjoy every visit with the jars of preserves in the window and the delicious desserts on the counter tempting me. Yes i look forward to my next visit.!!!!

Reviewed March 9, 2014

This is by far my favourite restaurant in Galway. The atmosphere is electric, the staff are so friendly and the food is amazing. I work in the hotel industry in Galway and this is where I always send my customers and they are never disappointed!

1  Thank IrishExplorer7570