“A Cracking little restaurant”
Review of Kai

Kai
Ranked #12 of 502 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Australian, New Zealand
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 25, 2013

My wife and I went to Kai for our wedding anniversary. We chose the later seating. At 9 PM the place was nicely busy. While small it is a very cosy place with several nooks and corners for smaller groups or couples.

For starters we had the pigeon salad and crab with trout caviar. I was a bit nervous about the caviar but the waiter assured me that there was only a small amount of it and he was right! It added some flavour and texture to what was already very tasty crab. The pigeon and salad was also excellent.

Main courses were pheasant casserole and a striploin steak. Again, both were excellent. I found several pieces of shot in my pheasant which some might find offputting but I took it to mean that this was a wild pheasant which met a sudden end by way of a shotgun! Anyway, it was delicious.

Our deserts were a chocolate mousse and ginger cake with whiskey butterscotch sauce. I tried both of them and I would be hard-pressed to pick which one I preferred.

Our delightful evening was enhanced by the helpful, knowledgeable and unobtrusive staff who kept our drinks topped up without intruding, and kept the courses coming. The menu is not in the usual format but describes the tastes and/or ingredients in a dish. I found that this made us choose dishes we might not ordinarily pick, and so encourages people to try new dishes and combinations of flavours.

Highly recommended. I'll be going back asap.

Reviewed December 20, 2013 via mobile

First visit for us. Nice room, small. No lunch reservations taken but wait was only about 10 mins. Excellent attentive staff. Small lunch menu but good mix of choices. Everything really well executed. Great selection if desserts, very tempting. Nice selection of wines by the glass, very good coffee. Slightly on the expensive side but worth it. Can't wait to go again, especially for dinner.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Had been wanting to try this restaurant since they opened and finally made it in September. It didn't disappoint in any way - food, service and setting were all brillant.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Last Sunday after a horrible morning I thought I would treat my mum to a nice brunch. We patiently waited for a seat & after 15mins or so we got a lovely seat in the corner. I was a bit disappointed with the menu but we both happily ordered portobello mushroom, eggs hollandaise & chard on ciabatta. I ordered jasmine green tea & we had a glass of white wine- both which were lovely.

The good arrived promptly & was disappointing to begin with, no finesse to the food. There was a mountain of chard on the plate, the eggs were like warm & soon after we started eating we realised there were no mushrooms. To which we were given an apology followed with a saucepan full of mushrooms to the table & it brushed off with 'silly chef'.

At this point we both decided not to order coffee or desert and I went to pay for the bill. I was asked how the meal was and said disappointing. The lady who has served me on plenty of occasions in the evening & has been lovely was too busy chatting to someone to look after me. There was no sincere apology or anything offered to compensate for their mistake. Bottom line if you are going to charge 11e+ with a very small menu, you better be getting them right.

Will not be returning.

2  Thank JG59872
Reviewed December 16, 2013

On the strength of local word of mouth and reviews I have tried this place thrice and been disappointed each time.

The decor is inventive and the staff were always pleasant to me. The atmosphere is a friendly bustle of activity.
However when it comes down to the food on offer, I think this place just disappoints. I like the simplicity of having a few dishes to choose from. And I definitely think they are on the right track however all in all I would rank it as good pub food to be honest. It appears to be trying to punch at a similar level to Aniar however in the end the food itself does not stack up with Aniar. The price certainly does though.

If the plating and flavour combinations were better or the price was 10 euro cheaper I would be applauding kai. But they are not, so unfortunately I cannot recommend this place.

2  Thank SurrenderMrMonkey