“Steak dinner”

Rouge
Ranked #46 of 474 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: French food, wine bar (over 80 different types of French wines coming from small vineyards), cheese and cured meat platters, fresh local lobster, fish tank, open late every day. Food served until midnight Established in 2011,offer you French home style cuisine. Influenced by the rich culture we come from of food together with great wines. The idea here in Rouge is sharing.
Galway, Ireland
“Steak dinner”
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Steak not great. Decent wine E30 a bottle. Staff & service fabulous. BUT could have gone to "better" restaurant for a lot less money!

2 Thank 396dympna

• Polish first
London
“In and out within 45 minutes!!”
Reviewed September 23, 2013

If you are looking for a quick decent bite to eat and you are running late for a party or meeting friends this is the place to go!! It is a nice venue, however it was so rushed! It is definitely not a place to go for a romantic meal or a special occasion. After reading reviews I do not know what all the hype is about.

1 Thank sputwesthampstead
Western Ireland, Ireland
“Used to be a huge fan”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

I have eaten in rouge many times and in my last review I wrote about their excellent food but their so so service.
Since that review I have eaten there several times, their service is now impeccable but their food isn't as good, I ordered steak on my last two visits and it was chewy and fatty both times - very disappointing.
Great wine list, great deserts , I will probably give rouge one last chance as I used to love it so much but I do agree with other reviewers who say their standard is slipping

3 Thank Irishtown12
Galway, Ireland
“Once great, Rouge has slid to mediocrity”
Reviewed September 16, 2013

My first visit to Rouge was one of those magical nights that can never be repeated. We were so impressed with the atmosphere, the staff, and especially the food. Everything was perfect and I declared it the best restaurant for the money in Ireland to all my friends. After my last 2 visits I need to take back that recommendation and let friends know they may be in for disappointment.

We had a great start to the evening in La Petite Rouge across the road where we sampled wines we hoped we could pair with our meal. We enjoyed an excellent meat & cheese board and all too soon had to head across the road to make our reservation. Once in Rouge we were informed wines available by the glass in La Petite Rouge weren't available in Rouge. We both ended up getting disappointing recommendations at €8 / glass. The starters we received verged on farcical: cold puff pastry and cheese, an uninspired tiny soup, and couscous. This is nothing like what we received on previous visits a year ago that were inspired little explosions of flavour. It’s as if they aren’t even trying. They would actually be better off discontinuing rather than embarrass themselves. The next disappointment was the mains. The monkfish, which at €15 would have been excellent value, was overcooked and rubbery while the steak arrived stone cold. Even the gratin potatoes seems to lack flavour. To further prove the slip in standards the crème brulee arrived cold as if out of the fridge whereas previously it had been warm. To cap it off the credit card machine was broken and we were chaperoned back to Petite Rouge to pay despite being told the reason why we couldn’t get the same wine by the glass was that they were separate businesses. Had we gotten wine we liked we would have been tempted to linger, have another glass, and enjoy the atmosphere and music which is still lovely.

We were initially so pleased when, mid-recession, Rouge came to Galway and proved that you could deliver great food at good value. They were rewarded by being the talk of the city with a 3 week waiting list. It’s such a shame to see the standards and attention to detail slip and judging by the half full dining room a reservation is no longer necessary. What the French might not know is that the Irish aren’t known to complain, they just don’t come back.

7 Thank newkie5000
“A perfect place to go for a romantic dinner!!”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This restaurant has everything! Amazing food, very friendly staff and verry good value!! From mixt starter to desert was everyting cooked to perfection!! Good wine list too.. If you are in galway try it!! You will not be disapointed!