“Good food but slow service lets it down seriously.”
Review of Rouge

Rouge
Ranked #48 of 492 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: French food, wine bar (over 80 different types of French wines coming from small vineyards), cheese and cured meat platters, fresh local lobster, fish tank, open late every day. Food served until midnight Established in 2011,offer you French home style cuisine. Influenced by the rich culture we come from of food together with great wines. The idea here in Rouge is sharing.
Reviewed January 3, 2013

I went as part of a large group (16) we arrived on time however the table wasn't ready, we were sent over to the sister wine bar where we waited about 30 mins. After being seated our orders were eventually taken and some half hour later our starters arrived and they were as good as other reviewers say. At least half an hour later the mains started to arrive, I had steak and dauphinoise with a side of ratatouille, all of which were very good. I also tried the fish dish which was a cod steak with a tomato based sauce. There was also a vegetarian option which I didn't try. At that price sometimes the steaks can be cheap cuts but mine was a very good piece served rare as requested.
Desserts were good too averaged around 6 euro each and the wine list is quite extensive and expensive.
In hindsight it seems that the good wine list is an insurance against slow service, at 15 euro for a meal the profit has to be made somewhere. If the service is deliberately slow to increase wine sales then I would be disappointed as it seems a number of other reviewers have been because I did like the food. Overall the average cost was 35 euro per head including drinks and desserts.

2  Thank David A

Reviewed January 1, 2013

Waited a while to get a booking here which is always a good sign! My wife had eaten here before and raved about it. We both ordered medium steaks. The starter was lovely. A platter of soup, tomatoes, a salmon and courgette quiche and a plum melba toast type thing. Lots of things to taste and enjoy!

We were ages waiting for our steaks. When they came out, my wife's looked like it was just about still medium. Mine however was most definitely not. I tasted one piece to confirm and sent it back. When I called over the server, she was asking did I want to have it cooked differently as if to say that the steak in front of me was cooked correctly. Very quickly, the server returned with a replacement. which was on the rare side but I'm fine with that. The first piece I took was very hard to cut through even with it being medium rare. One part was inedible as there was a huge sinewy piece of fat running through it. Some of the other pieces were good but overall a poor quality piece of meat. The sides of potatoes dauphinoise and garlic baby potatoes were ok. The dauphinoise were mushy rather that sliced and firm so alet down there too.

The highlight of the evening was the chocolate fondant dessert, cooked to order. It was delicious, only problem was I had to share it! Could have done with more of the sauce and maybe the addition of ice cream as it was very rich.

I'm giving a rating of poor due to the fact that the restaurant only has 3 main course options and so these should be done to perfection every time. The steak is the only option that is always on offer so this makes the poor quality of the meat and issues with cooking even more unforgivable.

1  Thank Omagar
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The 15€ menu for dinner was very good. Good recommendation for those you want a good and tasteful meal at Galway.

Reviewed December 17, 2012

Few friends decided to have dinner @ the Rouge... I get it, it s cheap (€15).. but the steak we ordered was full of nerves, very hard to chew.. the staster was some oily soup with onions... I m a lot happier when i spend 25/30€ but i walk out of the Restaurant knowing that I got a proper meal.. not worth it to me.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

The only complaint I can think of was a misspelling of a wine on the list, and that is being really pedantic.