“Aniar delivers enjoyable experience...”
Review of Aniar Restaurant

Aniar Restaurant
Ranked #49 of 474 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The food is based on our terroir, the ensemble of natural influences that give a food a sense of place. In the west of Ireland we are surrounded by lush ancient woodland, bountiful shorelines, thriving farmlands all heaving with some of the best ingredients in Europe but unique to us. Aniar obeys the seasons and lets nature decide our menu.Recently returned from Noma, the Danish restaurant, voted the World’s Best Restaurant 2011, Enda McEvoy heads the kitchen. He works closely with local producers while also gathering wild herbs, plants and seaweeds each day from the woodlands and seashore around the area to produce a cuisine based around light clean flavours.Light sauces and stocks, properly reared animals (utilizing all of the animal), sustainably caught fish with an eye to the future of the fishing industry and evolving with the seasons using vegetables, herbs, fruits and berries, either from the wild or cultivated, all encompass the Aniar philosophy. The Chefs pickle and brine as much as is bountiful during the spring and summer to see the restaurant through the winter. Enda explains “we use modern culinary techniques to obtain the best out of the ingredients, while never losing sight of the integrity of the produce”.
Galway, Ireland
“Aniar delivers enjoyable experience...”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Went to Aniar on a spur of the moment decision and was not disappointed. Really enjoyed the food, some nice detail and waiters explained everything on the plate. Also, the service was very good. Was pleasantly surprised when the bill arrived. So will definitely go again....

1 Thank gman1390

Bonita Springs, Florida
“Slightly disappointing”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

You may be confused why I give a 4 rating rather than a 3 if my title of the review has the word "disappointing" in it. I am taking into account everyone's experience at my table. For me, it would have been a 3 - for my boyfriend it would have been a 3 and for my friend it was a 5. For me the food was a 2, the service and atmosphere were both a 5. The food was OK, but you don't eat at a Michelin restaurant for OK food, you really the wow factor. I had the monkfish and it was good - but it was no way near the best monkfish I've ever had, nor was it in the top 5. I also had duck hearts as a starter and I was very disappointed. I really didn't care for the starter at all (which was disappointing because I had high expectations). My boyfriend had the scallops as a starter and the venison as a main. The scallops were good, but again not the best scallop dish I've tasted. The venison was good as well and probably the best thing I tasted at Aniar. My friend that *loved* his Aniar experience also had the venison and crab cakes as a starter - I was very disappointed in the crab cakes and they wouldn't even make my top 10 best crab cakes list. Perhaps my expectations were too high, but honestly I am surprised Aniar was Michelin starred.

The service was excellent and very attentive. The service was on par for a Michelin restaurant. I also liked how relaxed the atmosphere was compared to some other Michelin restaurants. All in all, it was an average experience for me and if I have visitors again I will bring them to Kirwan's or O'Grady's in Barna instead (they are sister restaurants and both excellent).

I enjoy their innovation attempts but from my experience last week it did not meet expectations and it's unlikely I will chose to dine there again. But everyone has different expectations and tastes so just because Aniar wasn't my "cup of tea" it might be someone else's.

St Albans
“Superb service and real inventiveness”
Reviewed December 10, 2013

A very relaxed atmosphere and lovely service from everyone there. Great recommendations for the wine, and they were happy to provide smaller glasses (at extremely reasonable prices) so we could have different wines with each course (which they provided wonderful context for so we came away having learned something too). Many thanks for a charming evening.

• Visited December 2013
“Sensational food and excellent service”
Reviewed November 30, 2013 via mobile

We had a wonderful meal at Aniar on 29th November. We again had the tasting menu and the food was absolutely excellent. What's more, we were shown incredible kindness and experienced the best service we've ever had in any Michelin restaurant. On service alone, this is our favourite restaurant- and of course the food and wine is always breathtaking. Can't wait for our next visit!

New York City, New York
“Over rated”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I was in Aniar last night as part of a family party.. It's the most disappointing Michelin Starred Restaurant I've ever been to... The food was nice but for what we paid for it... Not worth it! I can see their philosophy and admire what they do but to be perfectly honest it's clearly a personal thing and it ain't for me ...
The menu is very minimalist it just lists the three key ingredients so you chance what way they will be presented, we had the tasting menu without the wine ... As we were all driving... The bill came to 372€, we had no tea and coffee and one bottle of wine between 5 of us.
Duck hearts, egg yolk, pigeon (when it said venison ) all cooked rare... Um... Not for me!
The kitchen is quite open and I was treated to a lovely view if the chef double dipping his spoon after he had tasted our sauce ... Yucky! It put me off for the rest of my dinner!
It's all very spartan and bare... And quite chilly! They'd do well to put a second door on the entrance to block the draught ...
Don't bother dressing up its a casual setting and bring your wallet!!!
That said there were some lovely presentations of crab wrapped in apple! And a langoustine in chicken broth was divine ...
The service is excellent
I don't think I'd be in a hurry back

• Visited November 2013