“Second visit and excellent as before.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Aniar Restaurant

Aniar Restaurant
Ranked #55 of 467 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish, European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The food is based on our terroir, the ensemble of natural influences that give a food a sense of place. In the west of Ireland we are surrounded by lush ancient woodland, bountiful shorelines, thriving farmlands all heaving with some of the best ingredients in Europe but unique to us. Aniar obeys the seasons and lets nature decide our menu.Recently returned from Noma, the Danish restaurant, voted the World’s Best Restaurant 2011, Enda McEvoy heads the kitchen. He works closely with local producers while also gathering wild herbs, plants and seaweeds each day from the woodlands and seashore around the area to produce a cuisine based around light clean flavours.Light sauces and stocks, properly reared animals (utilizing all of the animal), sustainably caught fish with an eye to the future of the fishing industry and evolving with the seasons using vegetables, herbs, fruits and berries, either from the wild or cultivated, all encompass the Aniar philosophy. The Chefs pickle and brine as much as is bountiful during the spring and summer to see the restaurant through the winter. Enda explains “we use modern culinary techniques to obtain the best out of the ingredients, while never losing sight of the integrity of the produce”.
Galway
“Second visit and excellent as before.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

Visited last October and had fabulous meal,again this second visit was just as good.
The crab starter was Wow as the scallops and the pear dessert, had the monkfish as main dish.
Had viewed their sample menu on website and had chosen Duck main but it was not available on the night but not disappointed with my choice.
Staff excellent as before and when asked to be recommended wine, we were given a taster glass...........nice touch.They also recommended our glass of prosecco and Dessert wine.
The breads with real Irish butter were beautiful as the little chef's specials.
Well done to all involed...........will be back.
The atmosphere was buzzing, restraunt full..... all in all a great evening with no rush.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank gcsj

Galway, Ireland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Relaxed atmosphere & beautiful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

I went to Aniar with 3 friends, all foodies, and we had a really good time! The food was great & the wine was really good. The restaurant was full but not overcrowded, we were able to relax & enjoy our meals. I've never been to a Michelin star restaurant before so expectations were high!! I am quite a fussy eater & I left happy & satisfied.

• Visited December 2012
1 Thank MaeverickdeCoup
Galway
“Not as good as before”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

This was my second time eating here and the standard has dropped. The food is still nice but it is not Michelin star standard. We had the tasting menu and a number of the courses failed to wow.

• Visited June 2013
5 Thank GalwayRB
Dublin, Ireland
“Not a Michelin star restaurant”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

The food was over hyped and mediocre to say the least. I was really looking forward to the experience but felt short changed. The menu is extremely limited and as I am pregnant I had to have the asparagus starter with no hens egg and no goats curd. It was simply appalling and tasteless. For my main I had the lamb which again lacked any flavour and was thoroughly disappointing. My husband has the scalops which were good and the monkfish which was adequate. All in all it was not worth the price and we will certainly not return. I wonder how the Michelin star was ever awarded.

• Visited July 2013
7 Thank ger001
Galway, Ireland
“A Disappointing Return”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

I first visited Aniar last autumn, before it won its' Michelin star. At that time I was certainly wowed, and gave my meal 5 stars. This time, having convinced a visiting couple to try its' fair with us, hopes were high.
Unfortunately, the meal far from lived up to our expectations. The a la carte menu has gone from 5 choices to 3 for each of started, main and dessert. Of these beetroot featured in some guise in three of the dishes (including the dessert!). realistically, I'm not sure anyone likes beetroot that much that they would go for it for three courses, but if you are that type fo person Aniar is the place for you. Additionally, there was a lot of duplication with the menu from my previous visit, despite them being months apart. This resulted in a fairly restrictive menu choice from the 9 items. The service was additionally not as good as previously - while there was a lot of description and information available, very very simple things were overlooked, like asking us how the meal was (incidentally I shall tell them now - very very undercooked for two of us, despite us being seasoned carnivores). They also forgot to bring additional things we requested during the meal when we finally got attention - wine, coffee, etc. Some dishes remained excellent, including the crab, and the wines (when we finally got them) were excellent.
Overall, an okay meal, but disappointing given its' previous lofty position in my estimation.

• Visited May 2013