“While very good, it's on the same level as many NYC restaurants”
Review of Aniar Restaurant

Aniar Restaurant
Ranked #50 of 488 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The food is based on our terroir, the ensemble of natural influences that give a food a sense of place. In the west of Ireland we are surrounded by lush ancient woodland, bountiful shorelines, thriving farmlands all heaving with some of the best ingredients in Europe but unique to us. Aniar obeys the seasons and lets nature decide our menu.Recently returned from Noma, the Danish restaurant, voted the World’s Best Restaurant 2011, Enda McEvoy heads the kitchen. He works closely with local producers while also gathering wild herbs, plants and seaweeds each day from the woodlands and seashore around the area to produce a cuisine based around light clean flavours.Light sauces and stocks, properly reared animals (utilizing all of the animal), sustainably caught fish with an eye to the future of the fishing industry and evolving with the seasons using vegetables, herbs, fruits and berries, either from the wild or cultivated, all encompass the Aniar philosophy. The Chefs pickle and brine as much as is bountiful during the spring and summer to see the restaurant through the winter. Enda explains “we use modern culinary techniques to obtain the best out of the ingredients, while never losing sight of the integrity of the produce”.
Reviewed March 26, 2013

My wife and I thought that the food was excellent, however, it was on par with several restaurants we've been to in New York. I realize that for a smaller city as Galway, that would set this far apart from competition, but as a michelin starred restaurant I guess I was expecting to be blown away by the meal. Don't get me wrong, as I mentioned, the food was excellent, however, there were 2 dishes on the tasting menu that weren't top notch. The price was similar to other restaurants of that caliber (~$270 for the two of us, inclusive of tip), so I didn't so much mind that part. The service was fantastic as well. Definitely recommend a stop in here to eat.

2  Thank Doug O
There are newer reviews for Aniar Restaurant

Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I went to Aniar for our wedding anniversary ( we didn't mention that to staff).on the recommendation of our son, a foodie. Our first experience of melt in the mouth taste was a little amuse bouch we used superlatives consistently through out the night. We spent the evening rolling our eyes as we tasted everything and shared each others food.
The evening before we dined in Barna and enjoyed a very filling and tasty meal there. However Aniar is on another plane. A lady we meet there said we might not get enought to fill us ( we are both large people). We had a little trepidation that we might end up hungry, not so!! We both felt full and very satisfied, we even skipped the coffee in case it would ruin the taste of the food. We were there the same night as Caitriona M below, her discription of the dishes is excellent. I'm afraid my description would not give credit to the amount of work put into each aspect of the dish.
We enjoyed the description of each dish, the waiter gave us on presenting the courses to us. He explained the staff are in from early morning preparing everything including making all their own breads etc.
The kitchen is on view and I was amazed by the quietness from it. The chefs seemed to work with so much respect for the food, it was like watching artists preparing food for the Gods.
We liked the casual non fussy ambience, not usually experience in Michelin starred restaurants. No need to dress up to visit, while of course many people did. Cost was good value €120 including 3 courses each and 2 glasses of wine.
We will be back on our next visit to Galway.

3  Thank Helen L
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Myself and my boyfriend had this booked as the highlight of our trip to Galway since hearing about its Michelin star back in October and we were not disappointed. We ate on a Wednesday and were able to pick our table as we got in before the busy period. We opted to skip the starter but received a delicious amuse bouche to begin and the very knowledgable sommelier helped us pick a lovely, relatively inexpensive wine from the list. I had the pork belly, which was absolutely incredible - not a huge dish but delicious. For dessert we shared the rose and beetroot parfait, which was quite sweet but not overpowering, and the goats cheese and pear with spruce which was delicious. To end, even though we skipped the coffee, we were served some homemade fudge, marshmallow and biscuits which were a perfect finish to the meal.

Overall, while on the slightly expensive side (mains were 30+) it was worth the price as the food is prepared in such a loving and flavoursome way. Even the simple side dish of Irish potatoes were incredible and the service was attentive but not fussy. One of the best meals I've ever had.

2  Thank Caitriona M
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We went here in May last year, before they got the Michellin star. I was with my retired parents. My father would be a rather conservative and atypical Irish diner. I'm vegetarian and quite adventurous. My mother would be a meat lover with a great interest in desserts.
We all agree that it was the best meal we've ever had.
We ate three course of absolutely sublime food on a Tuesday evening. I have been attempting (and failing) to recreate their braised carrots and thyme water since.
Getting quite long descriptions of the food on getting it was a little jarring for my father but the master stroke of providing a large dish of potatoes alongside the refined dishes coddled him. We were free to ask as many questions as we liked. The drinks menu was also great.
Having eaten in other terroir restaurants, I must say that this place really rates. I'll go again as soon as practicable.

2  Thank PeachStar
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I was very much looking forward to dinner at Aniar - Michelin star and all! I went with a friend who likes good food and we decided on the Tasting Menu with wine (Euro 85 per head, which is a bit on the expensive side). First, the restaurant was lacking in the degree of luxury, I would associate with a top class restaurant - small tables with upright chairs, rather close to each other to my liking. I found the food to be lacking in nourishment - the pickled vegetables starter was a sight to behold but lacked any flavour. From recollection, we moved on to a salad with rare chicken hearts. I do not recall what the main course or dessert were, but again more emphasis was put on presentation than taste. I have to admit the wines were spectacular and were the highlight of the evening.

Based on my first experience, if asked for advice, I would recommend Artisan instead, for wonderful food, with friendly service, in a place with 10 times more atmosphere and is a lot cheaper.

1  Thank Maorihill55