“Superb dining experience”

Ranked #54 of 470 Restaurants in Galway
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The food is based on our terroir, the ensemble of natural influences that give a food a sense of place. In the west of Ireland we are surrounded by lush ancient woodland, bountiful shorelines, thriving farmlands all heaving with some of the best ingredients in Europe but unique to us. Aniar obeys the seasons and lets nature decide our menu.Recently returned from Noma, the Danish restaurant, voted the World’s Best Restaurant 2011, Enda McEvoy heads the kitchen. He works closely with local producers while also gathering wild herbs, plants and seaweeds each day from the woodlands and seashore around the area to produce a cuisine based around light clean flavours.Light sauces and stocks, properly reared animals (utilizing all of the animal), sustainably caught fish with an eye to the future of the fishing industry and evolving with the seasons using vegetables, herbs, fruits and berries, either from the wild or cultivated, all encompass the Aniar philosophy. The Chefs pickle and brine as much as is bountiful during the spring and summer to see the restaurant through the winter. Enda explains “we use modern culinary techniques to obtain the best out of the ingredients, while never losing sight of the integrity of the produce”.
Western Ireland, Ireland
“Superb dining experience”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I've eaten in Aniar 3 times and have been blown away every time. It can only be described as an experience. The menu features food foraged from the coast and the best of local and Irish food in season with a contempory twist. The wine list is good. It got a michelin star last week - no surprise really. Enjoy.

Visited July 2012

Galway, Ireland
“Such a wonderful dining experience”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Had Dinner in Aniar Restaurant with a group of nine people who all work in Food service Industry. Food was absolutely amazing and excellently presented. We decided to go with there tasting menu which offered 7 courses for €40.00. It was wonderfully beautiful. Atmosphere was intimate and cosy. Our waiter Alex was amazing and highly knowledgeable about pairing wine with food. Definitely will be back.

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Kymtree
“Overrated”
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I visited this restaurant last weekend. I found the whole experience a "let down". This restaurant was voted best in Connaught recently and we went along to experience same. Firstly the tables are too close together, we could easily have joined in the conversation to our left or right as I'm sure they could with us. The menu is overpriced. I ordered the vegetarian for main course at €18. I got four sliced carrots surrounded by pearl barley and a hint of goats cheese. Very disappointing. Waiting staff were very attentive until we requested the bill and then we were left waiting for ages while they attended to others. Nobody approached the table to top up wine glasses either. Would not return, far better restaurants in the area with nicer ambience and more privacy!!!!!!!

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank Geraldine G
Galway, Ireland
“Exceptional, in every regard!”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Some of the best food I have ever eaten, presented immaculately and served by a waiting staff who know and care about the menu they are offering to customers. Took my mum here for her birthday dinner (she's a big foodie) and she and I were both absolutely blown away. Chose to eat from the chef's tasting menu which I would highly recommend, a wide range of foods, cooked and presented in an interesting way and to an impeccable standard. Not a cheap night out but well worth the prices.

Absolutely flawless!

• Visited March 2012
“Stunning”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

What an excellent restaurant!! We went for the a la carte menu - local ingredients and perfectly balanced dishes throughout. I think I must have told at least 20 people at work about it the next day - I was totally raving about it, and I'm already looking forward to a return visit!

Visited September 2012