“Wonderful experience!”

Tunes in the Church
Ranked #2 of 18 Concerts & Shows in Galway
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

The ambience and accoustic of this medieval church combined with the best of music blows me away! It's quiet and comfortable, not commercialised and Touristy. You get to hear the best of the real thing, you get to ask questions, meet and talk to the musicians. Stories, songs, dancing. but not staged, v natural.

2  Thank An-bholg
There are newer reviews for Tunes in the Church

Reviewed August 14, 2012

Wonderful surprise as we did not know what to expect when we bought the tickets. Cormac, a wondeful concertina musician, welcomed the audience, asked and answered questions all while playing beautifully. The trio that followed him, renowned banjo player, fiddle/guitarist, guitarist/singer were wonderful. The acoustics in the church were awe-inspiring. This was a true high point of our trip to Galway and should not be missed if you are there on a Monday, Wednesday and/or Friday. I would gladly return and we also bought all three CDs offered for sale. Truly wonderful.

3  Thank 64CHaladay
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We saw Cormac Begley concertina and baritone concertina, Brendain Begleyaccordion and singer, Breanainn Begley – guitar. Purchased a CD with Cormac Begley & Jack Talty –who also plays the concertina. Excellent performance

1  Thank Pamela M
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I was delighted to come across Tunes in the Church recommended by a friend. I live in galway and this is one of the most dynamic and reasonably priced events I have come across. Tunes in the church offers an authentic Traditional Irish Music experience without all the fuss of queuing for drinks, struggling to get a view of the musicians or even trying to hear them! I was so satisfied that it starts on time, is not too short or too long, and offers a diversity of music in it's short one and a half hour slot. I have been more than once as I find it such a wonderful evening out. Each time I have been transported by the musicians...where!...it is old old magical music that can be very hypnotic. And the venue provides an enchanting surrounds. The organiser (Cormac Begley) is a highly acclaimed Irish musician, having inherited generations of musical knowledge (which he freely shares during the performance in a q&a style dialogue with the audience), and thus selects a range of excellent Irish musicians (along with international visiting musicians). There are different musicians playing each night with Cormac, each time bringing a new energy and interaction of instruments. If you are lucky enough you will go on a night where an Irish dancer will join in with the music. The dancer I have seen (Catherine) is stunning to watch. Another night I attended, a professional contemporary dancer joined in with the music. Truly magic! It is well known that Galway is full of hidden surprises. This is one not to be missed.

1  Thank Ali M
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I'd heard about Tunes in the Church from a couple of friends who visited Galway. They told me I MUST go and see this traditional music concert as it was the highlight of their holiday and, as they put it, 'the real deal'. Intrigued, I went along with high expectations - and they were all met within minutes of the concert starting. The evening was hosted by a curious fellow. I was initially a little put-off by his shaved head and flirtatious manner but I put this down to nerves and was soon reassured by his passionate concertina playing and gentle manner with which he spoke. He was accompanied by another concertina player, an accordionist and a singer called Lillis who made time stand still with the purity of his voice. The medieval church setting and acoustics made this experience all the more unique and I left with the feeling that I had entered into a place full of true Irish spirit.