“Great venue, great music.”

Tunes in the Church
Ranked #2 of 19 Concerts & Shows in Galway
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Great venue, great music.”
Reviewed July 20, 2012

We were lucky enough to learn about this event in St. Nicholas' church from a flyer at our B&B and attended on out last night in Galway. (July 16th.) The music was wonderful and the musicians shared greath warmth and humor with each other and the audience. We were given background on the concertina, in fact, one of them dated from 1875, and performers shared a little of their background. The players each took time to interact with the audience and it was clear that they appreciated the beautiful setting and interested audience.

We were treated to traditional music from concertinas and a banjo and a lovely young dancer (Katherine) from Vancouver performed twice on the small elevated platform that served as a stage for the musicians as well. The intimate setting provided perfect acoustics and a great view of the skill and technique of the artists.

We heard music in many forms during our trip to Ireland, but this concert will remain a highlight for us.

Visited July 2012

Columbus, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Good show!!”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Good show, nice setting, performers give great explanations.

Galway, Galway, Ireland
“A very special musical experience”
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I was lucky enough to have chanced upon a wonderful show in Galway city, tunes in the church. I brought a group of Italian friends of mine. We had wanted to do something uniquely Irish and I will carry my experiences of tunes in the church well into the future. It was a fabulous show with very talented musicians who worked so well together. I found out from the compere Cormac Begley that the musicians don't typically play together so I was all the more impressed as there was a real cohesiveness to the performance. As a fellow musician I have been inspired to explore this musical tradition further and I have to say that the host was eloquent and humerous and we all had a marvellous night. Thank you!

Visited June 2012
Belfast, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“The way Irish music is meant to be heard!”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I was just lucky to see a poster for the tunesinthechurch while in Galway. It ended up being my most memorable event of the two weeks. Next time, I will plan to travel to each city that hosts a tunesinthechurch. I have never felt as blessed as I did when I heard Sarah Jane Murphy sing in St Nicholas. I wanted to weep with the beauty of it. Pub music is enjoyable but music and dance in this setting is life changing. Please support this type of performance in Ireland. Go Go Go. Nancy Schroeder Belfast Maine.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank NSchroeder
Letterkenny, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Visited 'new style church' Calvary Chapel”
Reviewed April 27, 2012

Enjoyed meeting people at this Irish & multi-ethnic church that meets in the Galway Bay Hotel at 11am Sunday

Visited April 2012