“Left me wanting more”
Review of Galway Cathedral

Galway Cathedral
Ranked #11 of 142 things to do in Galway
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have visited many of the world's great cathedrals, including St. Peter's in Rome, Notre Dame, Chartres, Westminster Abbey, etc, so unfortunately, this one pales in comparison. There are pieces and parts in the interior which are lovely, but taken as a whole, I have to agree with another reviewer who found the place depressing. I didn't get the same sense of awe and peace I've felt at other cathedrals. The exterior is a huge disappointment. It is completey surrounded by roads and the rear, where I would have expected to find a charming garden/cemetary, was a huge car park with area for a fleet of motor coaches. I did, by all means, enjoy the silhouette of the cathedral in the context of our walk through Galway (we spent all morning just wandering), but can't really recommend this as a place for someone to go out of their way to visit, unless you have sentimental attachments to it for some reason.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,584)
All reviews
in 44 reviews
"jfk"
in 29 reviews

Reviewed June 9, 2013

This is a must see in Galway. So beautiful and so peaceful. We didn't want to leave. The detail is amazing, you really have to take your time and soak in all that is around you......and look up!

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Where can you see a stain glass window of Melchizedek? Or Daniel in the lion's den? Or altar railing made of circles? Or mosaics that are sky high depicting the crucifixion? Or floors made of multicolored marble from all over Ireland & ceilings of faceted wood? Galway cathedral is where. When we asked our fellow B&B travelers where they would go they all said the cathedral. One step inside and we knew why. It is truly a work of art & very different from all the churches we've seen in our travels. Don't miss it.

Reviewed June 4, 2013

This massive building dominates the Galway skyline like no other. Its dome and pillars are clearly renaissance style but the windows and mosaics are Christian art for sure. It must be the first church I have seen with a mosaic of an assassinated US president. Was he canonized in Ireland? Not certain, however it is hardly fitting to have such a secular image next to a resurrected Christ, particularly when his personal life was not fitting to a catholic. Oh well...I suppose the church has bigger problems than this nowadays.
Still check out the Canadian ceiling...pretty cool detail work.