“Disappointed!”

Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Ireland
“Disappointed!”
Reviewed January 6, 2010

We had stayed at The Galway Bay Hotel a few years ago and it was a enjoyable experience, so it was with some degree of confidence that I booked the hotel again for a weekend break before Christmas. All was fine until we seen our room. . drab and dreary are two words that best describe it, as for four star . . no way. The window looked out on to the car-park which is at the front if the hotel, I can't remember the last time I'd stayed in a "four star" hotel that still had a CRT television and a plastic shower curtain. At the back of the hotels own brochure (that was in the room) I noted that the hotel had not won any award of note since 2005, that's not surprising looking at our room.

The next disappointment was when the four of us went down to dinner. We were told that dinner was to be served in the Cafe Lido, (I believe the dining room was being used for a Christmas function) that's fine if there's only two of you but each table was round and about two feet in diameter so you couldn't possible seat four at one table, the Manageress asked a young couple if they would mind moving so that she could put two tables together. The food was very enjoyable and the staff were second to none, pity the room did not live up to four star expectations because we payed four star prices!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, January 14, 2010
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you very much for your comment titled ‘disappointed’ regarding your recent visit to the Galway Bay Hotel.
Naturally, I am extremely concerned when any guest leaves the hotel less than 100% happy. I would like to apologize most sincerely and I would like to assure you that this is definitely not the normal standard we strive to offer any guest of the Galway Bay Hotel.
I would welcome the opportunity to converse with you in person. Should you wish to do so please feel free to contact me at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com

In the meantime may I thank you for your feedback as it is through constructive comments such as yours that we achieve the high standards normally associated with the Galway Bay Hotel.

Kindest Regards,
Dan Murphy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (622)
  • Polish first
templemore
Reviewed January 4, 2010

Spent two nights here from 24th Dec to 26th and it truly was a brillant experience. The staff were brillant, especially Sharon, who was most helpful. The food was unreal, beautiful, in fact there was no shortage of food all throughout our stay and also great entertainment. We got to meet lovely fellow guests who we will be keeping touch with. We will be back next year for sure. Happy new year to all the staff in Galway Bay Hotel and thank you for making our Christmas so special.

Breda and Kevin Ryan, Clonoulty, Cashel, Co. Tipperary.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed November 16, 2009

The hotel was ok and not in the heart of the city. I'm not sure I'd consider it 4 star. Our room window looked out to the parking lot and it was quite noisy all night.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2010
Thank you very much for your recent review of the Galway Bay Hotel. Naturally, I am extremely disappointed as you left the hotel less than 100% satisfied. I would be delighted if you made contact with me personally as I would welcome the opportunity to regain your confidence with the Galway Bay Hotel. My personal e-mail address is dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com .
Kindest Regards,
Dan Murphy
N.Ireland
Reviewed November 12, 2009

On entering the hotel the atmosphere was tremendous. On booking in the children were captivated straight away when they received their activity packs. However the highlight of the first evening was the quality of the food in the restaurant particularly the sea food. The children were also availing of the healthy food options provided at Penguin Camp where they were exceptionally cared for all evening. The variety and quality of the food served at breakfast was excellent and the staff were extremely friendly.

South East
Reviewed November 4, 2009

We've just returned from a two night stay during the midterm. Again I can't praise the staff enough, with the swimming pool and the added bonus of the kids camp, the children were kept entertained and actually didn't wake at the crack of dawn! The restaurant is worth a visit on its own. I'll only get boring if I keep going on , suffice to say that I couldn't recommend the Galway Bay high enough.

Youghal
Reviewed November 2, 2009

Went here on a business trip but thanks to the helpful staff it turned out more-so as a leisure trip. Helped me set up a great night out in Galway to entertain clients after having settled into our comfy rooms and a stint in the great bar for a bit of banter. Cant recommend enough.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Cork Ireland
Reviewed October 30, 2009

I stayed in the Galway Bay Hotel recently with my husband and 2 young kids. We couldn't fault the hotel. Service was excellent. Breakfast buffet was great and evening meals were superb. It was great destination for young kids, the restaurant was v accomodating. The swimming pool was great and the kids club was a great hit. We will definitely return.