“Something For Everyone, Splendid Hotel”
Review of Galway Bay Hotel

Galway Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Cork,Ireland
“Something For Everyone, Splendid Hotel”
Reviewed October 29, 2009

Just returned from a visit to Galway and stayed at The Galway Bay. Perfect location on the promenade, with a great view from our 1st Floor Room..From our arrival we were treated in a courteous and respectful manner by all staff members. The room was ready when we arrived, was very clean and airy.. When we returned from our breakfast each morning our rooms had been cleaned, causing the minimum of fuss to us. The Foyer is also a relaxing area where one can relax and have a view onto the seafront outside..
This hotel is always worth a visit and will be top of my list for any future return to Galway

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (626)
  • Polish first
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed October 28, 2009

This is a great hotel. The location overlooking galway bay is fantastic. Take a stroll on the prom and you could be in santa monica! Excellent food in the restaurant. Friendly service. Helpful staff. It is a great base for exploring galway city or indeed spiddal and the west. And great rates too, will definately be back.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed October 11, 2009

This was are third visit to The Galway Bay Hotel (perfect stop off for travelling). The only thing that's changed in the hotel is less staff, especially in the dinig areas.

It's an OK hotel, guests are either american tourists on short one nighters or young families on a short stop off.

The lobby is bland & bright, a bit clinical, the pub is dark and dull with no life and the rooms are standard with a lack of house keeping.

Breakfast was fine, nonthing to write home about, the reception desks staff were fantastic although their working conditions are cramped and left check in guests puzzeled on how to form a queue in such a small space.

If your looking for a short stop off one night accommadation I would recommend this hotel.

1 Thank lightfeather
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, May 24, 2010
Thank you very much for your review of the Galway Bay Hotel. I must admit that I am rather surprised to read your feedback. Please feel free to contact me directly at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com as I would be very happy to discuss.
Kindest regards,
Dan Murphy
Arklow, Ireland
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We stayed in the Galway Bay last weekend to celebrate our wedding anniversary. Salthill hasn't realy changed since I holidayed there as a kid with my parents and I was having flashbacks as I drove along the prom! The reception staff were very friendly and our room was ready for us when we arrived. It was very well furnished with the most comfortable bed I've slept in for years - so much so that I was considering smuggling the mattress home with me!

As part of our booking, dinner was included on one night in the Lobster Pot restaurant. While most people seemed to rave about the food, we were not impressed. I would expect a lot more from a good hotel than the standard boiled broccoli, cauliflower and carrot/parsnip batons with some mediocre baby potatoes as a side order. Lazy and not appropriate. On a positive note, the breakfast (which we had delivered to our room for a very reasonable charge) was excellent and we were both very impressed indeed.

The bar staff were very friendly, the cocktail menu was fully explored and we celebrated our weekend in style!

Tyrone
Reviewed October 2, 2009

Was there on a business trip and arrived late. In my room the hot water tap would not work, the heating would not work and the curtains would not close properly leaving bright lights outside all nights. To be fair I reported it and the staff tried that night tried to get it sorted and the manager gave me a free drink in the bar. The breakfast was very ordinary with only reasonable service. They have signs up all over advertising their awards one being teh best 4 star hotel in Ireland. I stay in hotels every week and have stayed in better 3 star hotels by a mile. At best satisfactory.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank KPHTyrone
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review of the Galway Bay Hotel. Naturally, I am extremely concerned when any guest leaves the hotel less than 100% happy. I would like to apologize most sincerely and I would like to assure you that this is definitely not the normal standard of service we strive to offer any guest of the Galway Bay Hotel. I would welcome the opportunity to regain your confidence with the Galway Bay Hotel should you wish to return please contact me directly at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com as I would like to take personal care of the detail and hopefully get the opportunity to say hello at some stage during your visit.
Kindest Regards,
Dan Murphy
Perth
Reviewed September 18, 2009

Stayed in Galway Bay hotel for a long weekend with Friends. Rooms were very spacious, fresh and clean. The hotel bars had a great atmosphere, great wine list and the residents bar made our weekend. The food in the bistro was excellent value. The staff are very pleasant and eager to enhance our stay. Pristine location. Definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
DUBLIN
Reviewed September 14, 2009

On arrival we noticed there was a wedding in the hotel and knew that getting a good night’s sleep was not going to happen. Low and behold we were right. We were awake most of the night because of the noise outside our window. Luckily enough there wasn’t too much noise inside the hotel.

The next morning when we went down for breakfast the first thing I noticed was a child running his fingers through the cereal which was on display and nobody telling him to stop.

The hot breakfast was actually cold and minimum portions put on our plate.

I found the hotel lacking in atmosphere and warmth.

I personally don’t understand why it is a 4 star hotel because I’ve stead in better 3 stars.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, August 13, 2010
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review of the Galway Bay Hotel. I was very disappointed to learn that you did not enjoy your stay here. As a team we have discussed this and all here would like to apologize most sincerely. It is our collective aim now to try and regain your confidence with the Galway Bay Hotel. I would be delighted if you would drop me a line personally at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com
Kindest Regards,