“Bar Food was really really good!”
Review of Galway Bay Hotel

Galway Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Ireland
“Bar Food was really really good!”
Reviewed February 27, 2014

My dad was staying here for a few days so I met him for dinner there one night. I didn't actually realise that they had such a tasty menu available in the bar. It was very hard to make a decision but I went with the Prawn Scampi in the end and my dad had the Sweet Chilli Chicken. Both dishes were really really good. Needless to say we didn't leave anything on our plates!

The staff are really friendly here too. We stayed for a few drinks at the counter so we got chatting to most of them. Ciara, Zdenka and Trevor to name a few were lovely. Made time to chat to us even though they were kept going the whole time we were there.

I'll definitely be making a return trip with friends now that I know how good the food is.
P.S. Thanks for looking after my dad during his stay. He said everyone was lovely to deal with!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear ‘Irisheyes85’,
Thank you for this super feedback and thank you also to your Dad for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently. I am delighted that you dined here on one occasion and thank you for this wonderful feedback.

Your positive feedback is most welcome and I have passed this on to all. I am fortunate enough to say that this is feedback which I receive consistently from hotel guests; particularly regarding the quality of the food, the quality of the staff and the service we provide. Ciara, Zdenka and Trevor are thrilled to be mentioned in such a positive manner through such a public medium and they pass on their sincere gratitude to you – you have mad their day! We are so lucky to have such a wonderful team in the hotel bar and indeed throughout the hotel.

Thank you again to your good self and your Dad and hopefully we will see you again at some stage in the future.
Sincere regards, Dan Murphy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (584)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We were lucky enough to book the Galway Bay hotel for our wedding reception at the end of November last year. From the moment we walked through the door and met with the wonderful John Fraser we knew we had found the perfect venue and the perfect staff for our big day. From that day until the day after the wedding I can only describe our dealings with the hotel staff, and John in particular ,as an absolute joy. Even though I;m sure we wrecked his head at times, nothing was too much trouble for John and he tended to our every request in a professional, polite and personable manner. We also particularly enjoyed Johns quick wit and how he puts people at ease immediately with his bubbly demeanour. He also was on hand to share his vast experience of weddings with us and advise us on issues we were undecided about, which we both found to be a great help during a stressful time. The wedding day itself exceeded all our expectations as John and his staff pulled out all the stops to make it a wonderful day for us and all our guests. Nothing was too much trouble and the setting and food was top class and drew many favourable comments from our guests. Indeed many vowed to return to the hotel and I believe some have even done so already! I must also give a special mention to Brian Oliver who tended to our every need on the day itself in a most professional and personable manner and who is a young man who I have no doubt will go a long was in the hospitality industry. All in all I can say that our wedding experience at the Galway Bay hotel exceeded all our wildest expectations and was a huge hit with our families, relations and friends and I would highly recommend all aspects of this wonderful venue. Thanks again to John, Brian and all the staff and keep up the good work. Ray&Jane

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view if available
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Jane & Ray,

Wow! What a wonderful review. Thank you most sincerely. All I can say is a very heartfelt thank you for choosing the Galway Bay Hotel to be part of your most special of days. It was a privilege for all on the team here to be part of this wonderful occasion!

I am so lucky to have such a wonderful team whom are so motivated, passionate and focused when it comes to delivering top class service to all hotel guests. All on the team really enjoy being part of such a special occasion such as your wedding day – a special day for you is a special day for all the team here – thank you once again!

John and Brian are thrilled to be mentioned in such a positive manner by your good selves through such a public medium and they pass on their gratitude to you. They certainly do lead by example in the hotel and both are true hotel professionals.

Thank you again Jane and Ray and we all look forward to welcoming you back to us again at some stage in the near future.
Kindest regards, Dan Murphy
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights. Rooms and beds were generally very comfortable but no Sky Tv in rooms was a little disappointing for a 4 star hotel, though I do realise it is very expensive.

Bar area was great and we were here each night to watch football and have a few Guinness. We ate here on one occasion and the food was really good and there was plenty of it.

I took my son to the pool each day and while it is nothing too fancy it serves its purpose well enough and was clean and well maintained.

Staff were friendly and helpful any time I needed anything.

I would happily recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed February 2014
Dear ‘Alboy975’,
Thank you for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for taking the time and effort to share your experience. I am very happy to see that you had a very enjoyable time with us.

Your positive feedback is most welcome and thank you also for recommending us to all. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
Best regards, Dan Murphy
Athlone, Westmeath, Ireland
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

We checked in for a relaxing two night break away, to be warmly welcome by the lovely staff, despite the weather being quite stormy. Fantastic lobby area as you walk into the hotel. Check in was quick and smooth.
After a slight problem with the room, which was quickly resolved, Patricia, the manager who we made contact with was very helpful and friendly. Lovely breakfast on both mornings. Had a gorgeous dinner in the restaurant where the member of staff was extremely friendly. Nice cosy bar. Rooms are nice, but could do with an update, and wifi should be added. Overall a lovely stay.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Gavin,
Thank you most sincerely for taking the time and effort to review the Galway Bay Hotel. Thank you also for choosing to stay here whilst visiting Galway recently. I am very happy that you enjoyed your brief time with us.

Your positive feedback is most welcome, particularly in relation to the super staff and service you encountered. Your comments regarding the great quality of food for both breakfast and dinner are also most welcome and extremely encouraging. Thankfully I receive feedback similar to this on a daily basis. Patricia is thrilled to be mentioned in such a positive manner through such a public medium and passes on her regards to you.

We are currently in the process of refurbishing all of our guest bedrooms along with other areas if the hotel which also includes upgrading our in house wifi network.

Thank you again and we look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again at some stage in the future. Best regards, Dan Murphy.
Cork
Reviewed February 21, 2014

We always stay in this hotel when we go to Galway and it never lets us down. Once again, the staff were very welcoming and friendly when we arrived. The hotel looked beautiful. Overlooking the promenade, it's a lovely place to enjoy a bright spring day. I particularly love the breakfast room because it's a big, bright room, again overlooking the promenade. Our room was very comfortable and clean. I also noticed that the corridors are being refurbished with stylish new wall paper. We went into the city for a few drinks, only a five minute spin in a taxi. I just find this hotel is a great place to relax, un wind, and 'switch off' when we come to Galway. My only complaint was that we couldn't stay longer!

• Stayed February 2014
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear ‘captainMcS’,
Thank you most sincerely for your continued support through the years and I am delighted to see that you always have a very pleasant time here in the Galway Bay Hotel. Thank you also for taking the time and effort to share your views with all.

I am delighted to see that you had a very pleasant time with us and your positive feedback is most welcome, particularly in relation to the quality of the hotel, our location, the views, the welcoming and friendly team and the quality of the bedrooms. You are quite correct – we are refurbishing all of the bedroom corridors along with all of the hotel bedrooms.

Thank you once again and I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again at some stage in the future.
Sincerely, Dan Murphy
Galway
Reviewed February 19, 2014 via mobile

Just back from the Galway Bay after spending three nights there with my family. Great hotel in a lovely location. We went for really nice walks on the promenade outside the hotel and toured Connemara on one day. Super staff - very friendly and professional. Dined I each night and the quality of food served is top class for breakfast and for diner in the bar and the Lobster Pot Restaurant. The two kids loved the kids camp - the came back one night after making buns and another after learning some gymnastics! All in all we will return and highly recommend.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Titch2203
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, February 21, 2014
Dear ‘Titch2203’,
Thank you for taking the time and effort to share your views following on from your recent visit to the Galway Bay Hotel. Thank you also for choosing to stay here with us, I am delighted that it was such a memorable experience.

Your positive feedback is most encouraging and this has been passed on to all on the team. Your positive feedback regarding the hotel itself and our location is most welcome – I am delighted to see that you availed of some of the walks close to the hotel and like your good self many people use the hotel as a base when touring Connemara .. Our location lends itself to this as we are on the outskirts of Galway city whilst being only minutes from beautiful Connemara .. I have also passed on your feedback regarding the quality of food you received to Executive chef Robert and his team – they are delighted! I am delighted to see your feedback also regarding the kids club – we do have a fun filled interactive eight hours planned for children each day in our Penguin Kids Club with interactive activities such as kids fun cookery lessons, gymnastics, themed quizzes and much more along with meals including healthy options and healthy snacks.

Thank you once again and we all look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again soon.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 17, 2014

The Galway Bay Hotel is an excellent hotel, one of the best ones I've ever stayed in. The view I had from my room was incredible. It's so relaxing there and the staff are all top notch. Everyone is so friendly and very helpful and courteous.

The bar has a great, cozy vibe and the Lobster Pot Restaurant had a wonderful Irish breakfast buffet. The restaurant also faces the bay -- nothing better than a bay view breakfast! I didn't have the opportunity to eat there for dinner, but would hands down, if I had more time in the area.

If I ever make it back to Galway, I will 100% stay here again (and recommend to all my friends)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear Maddy,
Thank you for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you for this wonderful feedback. I am delighted that you had such a wonderful time whilst staying with us. I am thrilled to see that you found the hotel to be so relaxing with the team being so helpful, friendly and courteous. I am also delighted to see that you really enjoyed the quality of the breakfast we offer to guests. This is remarked upon daily – we are so lucky to have such a super breakfast chef – Daniel and he passes on his gratitude to you. Thank you also for recommending us to all and hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Galway again in the future. Kindest regards, Dan Murphy