“Wedding guest”
Review of Galway Bay Hotel

Galway Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

On arriving at the hotel a helpful member of reception booked me into my room and directed me to the lift. Rooms are spotless and well presented but I would recommend a sea view option which through fault of my own I did not do on booking. I was then escorted to the wedding reception where I was presented with a complimentary cocktail. Bar staff were very friendly and the meal which consisted of a starter of pork belly followed by celeriac soup, my choice of lamb for mains and an assortment of desserts was perfectly acceptable and tasted delicious. As guests made their way to the residents bar post Dj we felt at ease, shane was a great barman and obliged at 3am to make my friend and i bloody mary cocktail for which we were very grateful. I would certainly recommend the Galway bay for a relaxed break overlooking Galway bay and a 5min walk to the heart of salthill. Although it is a taxi/10min walk from the city centre we did not have an issue with this as the hotel does not give the impression of otherwise..

• Stayed: August 2013
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear ‘Alim86’,

Thank you most sincerely for taking the time and effort to review the Galway Bay hotel following on from your visit here recently. I am very happy to see that you had such a wonderful time.

Your positive feedback is most welcome and very encouraging. I use feedback such as yours to help me when I comes to motivating the team to perform to the highest level consistently. I am so lucky to have such a wonderful team whom are so focused and dedicated when it comes to delivering top class service and product consistently. They really do make my job so much easier! You mention Shane in particular and he passes on a sincere thank you to you – he is chuffed to be mentioned in such a positive manner through such a public medium.

Thank you once a gain and hopefully we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again in the future.

Best regards, Dan Murphy

There are newer reviews for Galway Bay Hotel

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We went for lunch today to the Galway bay. I have a 2 and 3 year old and heading out for lunch is a luxury especially when I'm a working mum too. We decided to eat in the bar as the carvery was very busy and there seemed to be a large group of guests from the north staying in the hotel. We ordered around 1:15. We waited and waited. Finally the food arrived, stone cold. I cut my onion bhajee and explained to the waitress it was cold and asked her to feel it. She apologised and went off to replace it. My kids food was cold but it suited me as they would not be able to eat hot food. The meal arrived back, my same plate of food reheated..... I asked the girl was it the original food and she said yes. I was utterly horrified to see the half onion bhajee from my original meal , re visiting me. I told her even in mc Donald's, if you complained you would get a replacement . The girl said she would go and see what she could do. Fifteen mins later, nobody arrived. We went up to pay and I told the girl at the till how utterly horrified I was. My food was sitting next to the till at this stage. She then said, there was no payment . To be honest, the payment was immaterial. I would have expected some one to come and apologise that my family Sunday lunch was ruined or to explain how it was an over sight or a once off or at least try and make some excuse. Very very bad form and shame on the chef for thinking it is acceptable to reheat food that was sent back and throw it out again . We have often gone for lunch but never ever again and I certainly won't recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013
4  Thank Sineadshaw
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Sinead,

Thank you for choosing to dine here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for your feedback. I am terribly disappointed to read your review. I have reviewed your feedback with all on the team and I have to say that we are all terribly upset and most embarrassed to learn that any guest would experience this here in the Galway Bay Hotel. I do agree with you that this is absolutely not acceptable and I would like to assure you that that this is not the level of service we strive to offer any guest of the hotel. I would also like to assure you that we are renowned for our service levels provided to guests and also for the quality of food provided to guests c on sistently I say this because I receive approximately 250 guest comments each week, all uploaded on to a comprehensive guest feedback log. Last week we received 267 guest comments. These comments were received by way of guest comment card, letter, e-mail, guest surveys to a random amount of in house guests and follow on sales calls to a random amount of past guests and I have to say that the overwhelming majority of these comments are hugely positive, particularly relating to food quality and costumer service.

I look forward to hopefully liaising with you at some stage.
Kind regards, Dan Murphy

Reviewed October 13, 2013

This year I decided to save the air miles and stay in Ireland, possibly the best decision I have made in a long time.
Seeing is believing - the views are breath taking, and with the sun shining, looking across the bay with the sun lighting the promenade, you would be forgiven for thinking you were on the 'Med', and no passport required.
Upon arrival, the welcome at reception was friendly and most helpful. I already wanted to stay an extra couple of days. Car parking was generous and the underground car park was within easy access to the lift which served all floors, perfect.
Can it get any better? Yes is the answer.
Upon arrival in my room, I discovered they had arranged a special birthday treat for me including
birthday greetings from the manager and staff. That personal touch makes the difference.

With regard to the facilities from the café to the restaurant, and the bar, the common thread was the attentiveness of the staff and the friendliness of each of them. Whether it was a snack at the café, or breakfast or evening meal in the restaurant, regardless of the time of day, the quality of service was consistent.

The road network linking all the major cities in Ireland is excellent, and the hotel was on the doorstep to the scenic route around Co Galway, and just a 20 minute drive across the city to the motorway, therefore ideal for business meetings or a relaxing break away.

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I had to leave early due to a family bereavement, but the were most understanding about that and made it less stressful than it could have been for me.

I shall definitely be making a return visit, and would strongly recommend that you add this hotel to your list of places to stay, 'if you want - a little bit of paradise with that personal touch, and only a drive away, then look no further.'

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Dear ‘NorthernRose2013’,

Wow, what a super review. Thank you most sincerely for taking the time and effort to script your positive experience and thank you also for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently. I am delighted that you had such a pleasant time with us.

Your positive feedback is most welcome regarding all aspects of your stay. I will ensure that this is passed on to all on the team through our structured guest feedback log where by all guest comments (approximately 250 per week) are uploaded on to this log. I am very happy to report that the overwhelming majority of these comments are overwhelmingly positive.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again at some stage in the future. Thank you again fro all on the team.

Regards, Dan Murphy

Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed at this hotel to specifically see the show. We had dinner included. The dinner before the show was terrible. We had lunch earlier there that day in the carver. It is possible that some of the food that was served at lunch was served at dinner. It was like cafeteria food. I would pass on the pre dinner before the show and grab something in the pub or eat elsewhere. They had great food. The guest at the hotel were the more mature crowd. The room, and the cleanliness, ammenities and all were great. The staff was very friendly. We had breakfast the next morning and it was very good, busy and the service was great.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear ‘Goldwingnut’,

Thank you for your review of the Galway Bay Hotel and thank you also for your feedback. I am very happy that you enjoyed your time with us and your positive feedback is most welcome. I see that you found the quality of your lunch food to be sub standard and I do apologise to you most sincerely for that. It certainly is not the norm here in the Galway Bay Hotel and I would like to assure you that the feedback which we receive back from both hotel residents and local diners is consistently overwhelmingly positive.

I would welcome the opportunity to liaise with you in person regarding this and please feel free to drop me a line at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com Thank you again, most sincerely and I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Galway bay Hotel in the future.

Kind regards, Dan Murphy

Reviewed October 12, 2013

Stayed in the hotel during the Galway Oyster festival for one night. Good location near the beach with great possibilities to walk on the beach.The rooms were nice and had all the needed amenities. Parts of the room were a bit outdated and could use replacement (TV), but overall the interior was nice and the room has it's own charm. The breakfast was fine and the staff was helpful. Overall a good experience.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kristof M

Dear Kristof,

Thank you for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for your very positive feedback. I am delighted to see that you had such a pleasant time with us.

Thank you for your wonderful commets, I will ensure that they are passed on to all on the team. I can confirm that we are changing all of our bedroom televisions as part of our winter refurbishment program.

I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the hotel again in the future.

Best regards, Dan Murphy

Reviewed October 11, 2013 via mobile

Stayed in the galway bay hotel for a conference recently. The location is beautiful looking rout onto galway bay- be sure to request a room to the front so you can avail of the beautiful views. Room size is generous and the beds are very comfy.

The hotel was spotlessly clean and our conference facilities were very good. For €79 b&b it was good value. Breakfast was lovely with a good choice, however lunch was very average. It's a nice hotel that's good value, but not amazing. Did the job! Not sure I'd give it 4 star rating - more of a good 3 star. With a good deal I'd be happy to stay again

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank mags29waterford

Dear ‘mags29waterford’,

Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for your feedback. I am very happy to see that you enjoyed your brief time with us.

Your positive comments are most welcome particularly in relation to the location of the hotel, the beautiful views, the generous bedroom size and very comfortable beds. I am also delighted that you found the hotel to be spotlessly clean with a great choice at breakfast. I am also happy that you found us to be very good value. I would like to assure you that we are a grade A four star hotel, only recently being audited and assessed by Failte Ireland for our four star rating and I am very happy to report that we achieved a 91% score which is one of the top four star scores in the country.

Thank you again and I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again soon .

Warm regards, Dan Murphy

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Just spent 3 days in Galway Bay Hotel with my bridge club. It was wonderful , food was amazing staff could not do enough for us,, rooms were so comfortable. We want to go back. Thank you all
also location was magic , there is nothing quite like the sun going down on Galway Bay
Teresa W

Room Tip: It is lovely to have a sea view
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Teresa w
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Dear Teresa,

Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for this wonderful feedback. I am delighted to see that you had such a wonderful time with us.

Your positive feedback is most welcome, particularly regarding the wonderful food you received, the amazing staff and the comfortable rooms. I am delighted also that you really enjoyed our location , on the promenade in Salthill on the outskirts of the vibrant Galway City and indeed the views from the hotel of the beautiful Clare Hills and the famous Galway Bay . You are quite correct when you say that there is nothing quite like watching the sun going down on Galway Bay as the old and famous song goes!

Thank you again Teresa and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Galway Bay Hotel again soon .

Warmest regards, Dan Murphy