“Good stay, pity about the check out.”
Review of Galway Bay Hotel

Galway Bay Hotel
Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Galway
Reviewed July 20, 2008

My husband and I were given a gift of a night at this hotel,( we wouldn't have paid 270 euro ourselves for bed and breakfast!). The hotel itself is very comfortable, and the staff were, without exception, polite, friendly and efficient.
The location is on the beach front; unfortunately there is a busy road between the hotel and the ocean, so it can be noisy. There is a funfair next door, so make sure your room does not overlook it!
The restaurant food was excellent, although it was noisy and not terribly romantic. We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner and breakfast.
When we went to check out, we had to queue for 20 minutes. The receptionist said that this was because of wedding guests from the day before and was quite common. We felt that if it was quite common, they should have planned ahead and made provision for a lot of people checking out at the same time. It was reminiscent of a certain budget airline which shall remain nameless!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LimList

Reviewed July 17, 2008

Stayed in the Galway Bay for 2 nights and throughly enjoyed it! The hotel has fantastic views! Our dinner and breakfasts was very nice and the staff couldnt have done more! Will be back!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed July 14, 2008

Stayed in the Galway Bay for three nights. Pricewise it cost a bit more than what I would normally pay so I was expecting a certain level of luxury for it. The price was probably almost fair for the standard.

The hotel is quite big and busy with various events and weddings going on. There are lots of nice communal areas for relaxing around.
The room, and I believe all rooms, had a view of the sea – but a side view. The room and bathroom were big enough and had all the facilities needed. The bed was one of the most comfortable I have ever slept in.
Ate in the restaurant as part of the deal one night, three course meal off a set menu and it was delicious. Drank in the bar in the hotel afterwards. Nice bar. Breakfast was a self service buffet style and again very very nice with great choice and plenty of food no matter how late in the breakfast service it was.
Drank in the residents bar two nights and the staff were very helpful as regards keeping it open for us until a reasonable hour.
Found the service in most areas of the hotel great – housekeeping, reception, restaurant staff – however ordering basic food from the bar staff proved to be an ordeal. The service was so appalling I have never experienced anything like the incompetence and the total lack of service as they were too busy watching a match on the tv. The only one bad point of the whole stay.
Locationwise it is on the seafront on the promenade within walking distance of Salthill centre. It is right beside Leisureland so great if you have kids. Got a taxi anytime we were going into Galway centre and it took only about 5 minutes. Overall I would recommend the hotel if you are looking for a good standard three star, maybe a four star hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 7, 2008

Just back from a few days in the west of ireland, didn't have anything booked and I must say I was delighted to stumble across the Galway Bay Hotel in Salthill. What a fine hotel, such views from the rooms, the restaurant and the lounge area off the bar. We got a good rate for 2 nights that included an evening meal on 1 night, the food was very good, so we decided to eat there a 2nd night. The bedrooms are quite spacious in comparison to other hotels and the beds are very comfortable. All staff were extremely friendly and helpful. On our 1st night we met a couple that stay there all the time. They could not stop praising the place and we thought initially that they were overdoing it, but to be honest after 2 days, and a great short break experience, we can see why they continue to go back there. We will book early the next time as I believe they are very popular and sometimes it can be hard to get in there. Our impromptu short break was a lucky break!

Reviewed July 4, 2008

I spent a week in beautiful Galway last month. The city, county and people were fantastic! The service at the Galway Bay hotel was more than a match for them all! The hotel is situated in a wonderful location in Salthill, overlooking Galway Bay. The service we received there was absolutely fantastic. The food was fabulous and very reasonably priced. The thing that impressed me most about the Galway Bay Hotel was the staff. They were extremely helpful and polite to a man (or indeed woman!). I was envious of the people of Galway as I felt this is what we are missing in the UK; we may have lovely locations like Galway, and we may have top class hotels like the Galway Bay Hotel, but we don’t seem to have the same calibre of people working in our hotels. Their excellence made our stay an absolute pleasure and we are already planning a return trip next summer………..I cannot recommend it enough!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2008

We recently stayed in the Galway Bay for a wedding and while we were very happy with the facilities, food and room, we had major problems with our booking on arrival.
We had booked a room 2 months in advance on the hotels own website and got a great deal on the price.
The booking was confirmed by e-mail and a deposit was taken out of our visa card.
However on arrival we were told that there was no booking in our name. I had not printed out the confirmation so we were forced to leave all of the other guests to enjoy the champagne reception while we powered up our laptop on the reception desk in order to prove to the receptionist that in fact we did have a booking. About 40 minutes later when we finally got all of the information together, she conceded that we had in fact booked and muttered something about having to put someone else out of their room.
This was entirely unacceptable and we were really annoyed at having to prove the booking as they did not seem to be able to check their own systems.
When I mentioned this to a friend he said that he had the same experience with a number of relatives who had travelled a great distance. Their rooms were also not booked even though they had been sent confimation numbers and the deposits had been paid.
The Galway Bay need to sort our their booking systems ASAP!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2010

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for your review of the Galway Bay Hotel. I am terribly disappointed to read your comments regarding your check-in experience here. As a team we have discussed this and all here would like to apologise most sincerely for any shortcomings you encountered. Since your stay here the hotel has invested heavily in a comprehensive staff training programme called "Exceeding Expectations". We have received many awards for excellence in last number of years for excellence in service and product. It is our collective aim now to try and regain your confidence with the Galway Bay Hotel. If you wish to return to the hotel I would be delighted if you would drop me a line personally at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com
Kindest Regards, Dan Murphy

Reviewed June 6, 2008

My boyfriend organised a surprise birthday present for me by taking me down to Galway Bay Hotel. I never regreted his choise! From moment we arrived to spend our weekend we were very well looked after. Room was clean and cosy with softes duve I ever slept under! We had our dinner in Lobster Pot Restaurant. Menu had a good choice for every course and food tasted absolutely great! We went for dinner on second night there as well and we weren't dissapointed. Hotel staff was very helpful and cheerful. I deffinately will recomend this hotel to anyone who wants to not just to spend money but to get a great service and lots of fun!