“The Galway Bay Hotel”

Ranked #4 of 45 Hotels in Galway
Dublin, Ireland
“The Galway Bay Hotel”
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The lobby was so cold it was like standing outside in the bitter wind. Paying up front is ridiculous for such a hotel.....we should have taken that as a sign they came across alot of complaints. The bedrooms are only alright, dated. The walls are PAPER THIN! 4 star my foot. Food was very good though and staff friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, March 13, 2013
Dear ‘Sandra C’,

Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you for your feedback. I am delighted that you found the quality of the food in the hotel to be very good and I am also very happy to see that you found the staff to be friendly. I am very surprised and also saddened to see your other comments. I receive approximately 250 pieces of guest feedback on a weekly basis, by way of comment card, letter and e-mail, through word of mouth to our guest relations manager when guests checking out, by follow on customer service calls to past guests made by the sales team and indeed through the tripadvisor medium. All of this feedback is uploaded onto our comprehensive guest comment log and I would like to assure you that the overwhelming majority of it is hugely positive consistently and most complementary regarding all aspects of the total guest experience. Also, I would like to assure all tripadvisor viewers that we are an award winning four star hotel, operating at the top end of the four star category – only recently we underwent our annual Failte Ireland assessments and we achieved a 90% four star grading – one of only a handful of hotels in the country to achieve this high score. I would welcome the opportunity to liaise with you in person and I can be reached at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com should you so wish. Thank you again for your feedback and looking forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Galway Bay Hotel in the future.

Dan Murphy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (586)
  • Polish first
Westport, Ireland
Reviewed March 12, 2013

We had our parents 50th wedding anniversary on the 9th of March.
People who stayed in the hotel said that the reception staff were very friendly, The room was of a good size, they slept extremely well despite the hotel been so busy and breakfast was beautiful.

The function we had was amazing the staff were so attentive the service was excellent and the food was so delicious. Our guest are still talking about the night. We can not say enough wonderful things about this hotel and their staff and how grateful we are to them all

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear ‘Mairead306’,

Thank you most sincerely for choosing the Galway Bay Hotel for your parents’ recent wedding anniversary. I am delighted that you had such a super time with us.

Needless to say I am delighted to read your very positive feedback. A very special occasion for any guest is a very special occasion for all of us here and we really enjoy ‘pulling out all of the stops’ to ensure it is a fantastic occasion. Your positive words regarding the hotel bedrooms, the amazing staff, the delicious food and the beautiful breakfast is most encouraging I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to all on the team.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back at some stage in the future.

Kindest regards,
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We had our daughter's christening celebration in the Lobster Pot Restaurant at the weekend and it was a lovely experience all round. The staff were so friendly and helpful and went out of their way to ensure everything was perfect. Our family all commented on the fantastic meal and exceptional professional friendly service provided. Special thanks to John the deputy manager and managers Paul and Brian in the restaurant. As many members of our family have had their wedding celebrations in the hotel in the past, they all agree that the hotel consistently delivers and never fails to impress. We'll be back again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear ‘Sinead G’,

Thank you most sincerely for choosing the Galway Bay Hotel to host your recent family occasion and thank you also for your wonderful feedback. All on the team are delighted to see that you had such a wonderful time with us.

Your positive feedback regarding the helpful friendly staff, the professional service provided and the fantastic meal is most welcome and most encouraging. You mention John, Paul and Brian in person and they are all thrilled to be mentioned in such a positive manner through such a public medium and all pass on their sincere gratitude to you.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming your family back to the Galway Bay Hotel again in the future.

Warm regards,
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My husband booked a romantic weekend away in the Galway Bay hotel. We arrived at the hotel which was busy getting ready for a wedding. Receptionist insisted on us paying up front? Room was dated, cold and had no view. Went to the bar for a drink and asked for a glass of something bubbly and got told they didnt have any, despite a table set up outside the bar with champers for wedding guests. We ordered alternative drinks and asked for them to be put on the billand were told we couldnt. Ive never stayed in a hotel which didnt allow you to charge food or drinks to your room. We then went for dinner in the hotel restaurant. Its very dated and huge...we felt lost inside it. We ordered champagne with dinner which seemed to lead to fuss and confusion with staff getting the manager. Felt it was related to paying again! Later that night we were woken up at 3am three times by the tv coming on with the welcome screen with the name of another guest! Next day was spent in Galway city. When we came back we went for a swim. When I was in the pool after a while the guy working there came in to say I had to wear a hat. I said I didnt have one and he said he could sell me one for 2.50. I was in a swimsuit in the water...obviously had no wallet on me. I asked if I could pay on the way out. I then asked if my husband needed one and was told no. Neither apparently did the other two people in the pool. When I got out I was just coming into the pool reception when he demanded the 2.50. I was just waiting for my husband as he had change on him. I was hardly about the steal a 2.50 hat! We had intended eating in the bar that evening but it was very loud with kids running around screaming and another wedding. So we went to the hotel restaurant which was two thirds empty to be told they were fully booked! Overall not a nice,relaxing or romantic stay. No one seemed vaguely interested in us apart from ensuring payment! I will not be returning or recommending!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank BonnieHamilton
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, March 12, 2013
Dear ‘BonnieHamilton’,

Thank you most sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for your feedback. Needless to say, all on the team are extremely disappointed to learn that you have obviously not experienced the true Galway Bay Hotel experience for which we are renowned for. We all do apologise to you most sincerely. I can confirm that there is absolutely no issue with any guest charging an item to their bedroom when credit card detail is left at reception on check in stage – similar to all other hotels. I would welcome the opportunity to liaise with you in person with a view to hopefully regaining your confidence with the Galway Bay Hotel and I can be reached at dmurphy@galwaybayhotel.com.

Warm regards,
Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and myself just back from a Saturday night stay. We got a nice room overlooking sea, was lovely to hear and see the waves, had dinner and breakfast there. Most impressive thing about the hotel is the staff, and the value for money. Dinner was good. The staff stood out, great west of Ireland welcome, couldn't be more helpful, practical and engaging. We enjoyed our night away and will return.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ‘Colm O’,

Thank you sincerely for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for this wonderful feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.

Your positive feedback regarding the hotel in general, the views and the location, the quality of food throughout and the team is most rewarding and encouraging. I will ensure that it is passed on to all on the team.

Thank you again most sincerely and I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Galway Bay Hotel at some stage in the future.

Best regards,
Athlone, Ireland
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This is the 3rd visit my wife and i have made to Galway Bay in 2012. It really is a fantastic, relaxing hotel. The staff are all excellent and the food is exceptional, both in the Lobster Pot Restaurant and also the Hotel Bar and the leisure facilites and swimming pool are very good and the staff and rooms are excellent

Room Tip: Excellent hotel but not for somebody that wants to enjoy the city centre
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, March 22, 2013
Dear 'Niall G',

Thank you most sincerely for your return visits to the Galway Bay Hotel.
Thank you also for you feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.

Your positive feedback regarding the fantastic, relaxing hotel, the excellent staff and the exceptional quality of food in both our Lobster Pot restaurant and in our bar is most encouraging and very pleasing to read. I am delighted also that you enjoyed our leisure centre and I hope you had the opportunity to take a stroll on the miles of promenade right on our door step - on a fine day you can see right out to the Aran Islands whilst walking...

All on the team look forward to hopefully welcoming you back once again at some stage in the future.

Warmest regards,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is the 3rd visit my wife and 3 year old boy have made to Galway Bay since February 2012 (would be back even more if we could!!). It really is a fantastic, relaxing hotel. The staff are all excellent and the food is exceptional, both in the Lobster Pot Restaurant and also the Hotel Bar. The hotel conservatory and the Lounge at the back of the bar are great places to just sit, enjoy a cup of tea or a pint, and gaze out at Galway Bay. The hotel is in a beautiful position overlooking Galway Bay and the Salthill Promenade which when you walk is approx 15-20 minutes into Galway City. It really is in a perfect location with amazing food and fantastic friendly staff!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Dear ‘ashlingsheridan’,

Thank you most sincerely for returning to the Galway Bay Hotel when visiting Galway recently. We really do appreciate your custom and we are delighted that you have enjoyed all of your visits here.

Your positive feedback regarding all aspects of the hotel is most encouraging and indeed most welcome. I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to all on the team. I am delighted to see that you like to relax and in our sea view lounge and watch the ‘sun go down on Galway Bay’ – it certainly is a favourite pastime of a lot of our guests.

Thank you once again and I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back at some stage in the future.

Warmest regards,