“Breath of Springtime in the Fall”
Review of Galway Bay Hotel

Galway Bay Hotel
Ranked #5 of 45 Hotels in Galway
San Marcos, California
“Breath of Springtime in the Fall”
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This hotel is truly a beautiful place facing the bay and is close to town. Our two-night stay there was in the midst of a wedding but the hotel is so large, you hardly knew the wedding was there. Upon arriving, our group was directed into a beautiful sun room for tea/coffee and cookies. Our rooms were very clean and comfortable. As I said the bay is just across the road and there is a very pretty park located adjacent to the hotel. We also had dinner and breakfast at the hotel and could not have been more delighted with the quality of the food and service.

Room Tip: We had a problem with linens not being replaced and wet wash clothes being left in bathroom the seco...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear ‘ntflady’,

Thank you most sincerely for your feedback. I am delighted that you had such a lovely time with us on your brief visit to the Galway Bay Hotel.

Your positive feedback is most welcome and I use feedback such as this to aid me when it comes to encouraging and motivating the team to perform to the highest level consistently. We do this through our structured in house training programme – a programme where all on the team attend a structured training session in their respective department daily. Thank you again most sincerely.

Kind regards,
Dan Murphy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (575)
Reviewed November 15, 2012

I recently stayed at the GBH and had a great stay. From the moment I walked into the lobby there was a feeling of warmth,there were lots of guests around. We had a light lunch in the harvest cafe and then a few drinks in the lounge overlooking the sea. We found William in the cafe to be very friendly and welcoming. The view was breathtaking. Our room was spacious and again had wonderful views. The next morning we had a sumptuous breakfast in the restaurant which had a wide variety of hot & cold items. We had a wonderful stay & look forward to returning in the future.

• Stayed October 2012
Dear ‘Futurelady’,

Thank you for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel on your recent trip to Galway and thank you also for this super feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.

Your positive feedback is most welcome and it is very similar to the overwhelming majority of feedback I receive on a daily basis. We look forward to welcoming you back at some stage in the future.

Warm regards,
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

I wrote a previous review and scored it 2 stars due to having to ask repeatedly for things and poor wifi. We also had to wait almost 40 mins in the restaurant for the drinks we ordered. However after we raised these issues with management they bent over backwards over the rest of our stay to make sure they made up the issues at the start and because of this I have changed this from 2 stars to 4.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear ‘Dan D’,

Thank you for this wonderful feedback. I am delighted that you had such a memorable stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel. You mention that the Galway Bay Hotel was the most memorable of the hotels you stayed in during your visit and that is certainly very rewarding to all on the team. Your positive feedback regarding the excellent food, the quick service and cheerful staff is also very encouraging. I will ensure that your feedback is passed on to all on the team. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Galway Bay Hotel at some stage in the future.

Warm regards,
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 14, 2012

On paper this hotel sounds lovely. Across the road from the sea; restaurant, Irish Pub & café all in hotel; indoor pool (though only 15m); activities for guests…..but..…the rooms are a huge let down!!! Reception area looks spacious & elegant but the first room we were shown was more like a boarding school dormitory! The one small window was so high that you had to stand to see out of it!! Yes we requested a sea view, but generally I like to enjoy the view while seated or lying in bed!! This room also had a sloping ceiling (obviously from stairs above). We phoned reception & requested a change which thankfully they gave us. This second room had a much larger window, though the view was partially obscured by the roof of the atrium below. The double room consisted of 2 beds – great if you are travelling with children. The room was fairly basic in appearance & lacked any kind of ambience. I suppose for E75 a night we can’t expect too much more. It’s what we would have paid at a B&B but we had the bonus of having the facilities of a hotel. Shame we arrived to late to participate in any organized events for that day & we were only passing thru.
The bathroom had a bath tub with shower over it & enough space on the vanity to put your own things.
Looking at the hotel from outside, it becomes obvious that all the rooms on the 2nd level have very small windows, so it is just a design flaw. Many guests may not have an issue as they may not spend time in the room other than to sleep. Just disappointing that the room we ended up in lacked the charm of the rooms shown on the hotel’s website.
The breakfast room was large & busy. A notice in the elevator warns of the possible waiting times guests may experience depending upon the time they arrive to be seated (good idea).
WiFi was free but only in the lobby.
Large parking area at the rear of the hotel but it was very full. There were tour buses here too, so obviously this hotel is used by tour companies for their guests.
Location is convenient to a nearby sports/aquatic complex & of course the beach. Short drive to supermarkets & restaurants. Not too far from main shopping areas in Galway (by car).
Many people rave about this hotel (the reason we picked it). The hotel itself is nice, but for us it was the worst room in our 7 weeks travelling. Sad because we were expecting something special.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sandytravels_10
Dear ‘Sandytravels_10’,

Thank you for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you for your feedback.

I am terribly disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your bedroom. We have a classical look and feel throughout the hotel and this theme is carried through to all bedrooms. The feedback we receive when it comes to the bedrooms is consistently very positive – I receive approximately 250 pieces of guest feedback on a weekly basis from guests of the hotel. I can confirm that we do have complimentary wifi throughout the hotel. It really is a shame that you did not get to partake in some of our in house activities which we provide for all hotel guests such as wine tastings, Irish coffee making and tastings, cookery demonstrations, wine and cheese appreciations, flower arranging, movie classics and more. These complimentary events do certainly receive very positive feedback.

Ballybofey, Ireland
Reviewed November 13, 2012

Just back from an excellent stay in the Galway Bay Hotel. I found the hotel welcoming and friendly and myself and my family had a really enjoyable few days. Our three children loved the kid's camp and the food in the restaurant was top class. We also eat in the bar and enjoyed lovely food in a comfortable,relaxed environment. The breakfast was delicious.Our room was really spacious and comfortable. A big plus with this hotel is the friendly and courteous staff who do everything to make your stay as special as possible.Particular praise goes to manager John who greeted us on arrival and the professional and helpful restaurant staff.If you are planning a trip to Galway you should consider staying in the Galway Bay Hotel. You won't regret it!

Room Tip: Room 283 is perfect for families.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
danmurph, General Manager at Galway Bay Hotel, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Dear ‘Anita S’,

Thank you most sincerely for your super feedback and thank you also for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel with your family recently. I am thrilled to see that you had such a wonderful time. Your positive feedback regarding all aspects of the hotel including the friendly and welcoming staff members, the quality of food you received in our main bar and in the Lobster Pot Restaurant along with the Penguin Kids Club (I am delighted to read that your children found it to be top class) is most welcome and all on the team pass on their gratitude to you. John Fraser is delighted to be mentioned in such a positive manner and passes on his gratitude to you.

We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the Galway Bay Hotel at some stage in the future.

Warmest regards,
N.Ireland
Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Just after having an amazing couple of nights in the galway bay hotel with my wife and family. My three daughters availed of the brilliant penguin camp and ate in the small restaurant where they got lovely wholesome food. On the first night we ate in the restaurant where we were served by marcela and Barbara. I had the seafood chowder and really recommend it to anyone visiting this hotel. On the second night we ate in the bar where we both had steaks of a very high quality. The rooms were spacious and extremely clean and my family and I can't wait to return to Galway to this wonderful city and the welcoming staff of the Galway Bay hotel

• Stayed October 2012
Dear ‘OrlaNN43’,

Thank you for choosing to stay here in the Galway Bay Hotel recently and thank you also for your valued feedback. I am delighted that both you and your family had such a lovely time with us.

Your positive feedback regarding the Penguin Kids Camp, the food both your children received in the Penguin camp and you received in the Lobster Pot Restaurant and the hotel main bar is most welcome and similar to the feedback received from all other guests. Your feedback regarding the customer service you received is also most rewarding and both Marcella and Barbara are delighted to receive specific mention.

Thank you again and we look forward to hopefully welcoming your family back again in the future.

Kind regards,
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed November 13, 2012

While on a recent day out with my three sons in Salthill, I decided to treat us to lunch in the Galway Bay Hotel. It is not somewhere we would normally think of going for lunch but I had never been in there and had heard how nice the food was so wanted to see for myself. We ate in the Harvest Cafe and from the minute we walked in I was blown away by how welcoming the staff were. They could not have been more helpful and my boys aged 11, 3 and 8 months received so much attention from them. I have to command you especially on your staff members Emma and William who were just fantastic. I had soup and the kids had food from the kids menu, there was such a lovely homemade feel to it (although I could never make soup as tasty). The prices were very reasonable and so worth it for great food and such a lovely atmosphere. I will definitely be coming here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear ‘Caitlin1138’,

Thank you sincerely for visiting the Harvest Café with your family for lunch recently and thank you also for sharing your views with us. I am delighted that you had a very pleasant dining experience with us.

Recently, we rebranded the Harvest Café, changing the food offering and menus with emphasis on local fresh produce and I am delighted that you experienced this. This is the feedback that is coming back to me regularly. To say that you ‘were blow away’ by how welcoming the staff were is most rewarding – they certainly do live by our core value of Positive Personality. Emma and William are thrilled to be mentioned in such a positive manner through such a public medium and pass on a sincere thank you – I am so lucky to have them here in the Galway Bay Hotel – they certainly do make my job so much easier!

We all look forward to hopefully welcoming you back at some point in the near future. Thank you again for your feedback.